“Lovely and peaceful resort away from the huste and bustle of main beaches” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Railay Great View Resort

You added Railay Great View Resort to your Saves list
Railay Great View Resort
3.0 of 5 Ranch   |   588 Moo 2 | Ao Nang subdistrict, Railay Beach, Krabi Town 81180, Thailand   |
Special Price
25% off room rate
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely and peaceful resort away from the huste and bustle of main beaches”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

Very peaceful and quiet place from the more tourist filled spots of Railay Bay. The rooms are these lovely wooden huts with a fantastically comfortable king-size bed, large balcony and amazing views . You may find you could be sharing with a gecko or two which didn't bother us, all part of the experience of being 'in the jungle', but definitely make sure the mosquito nets are closed properly before you sleep! I have seen the longtail boats mentioned as noise factor but they didn't bother us the two nights we stayed. The early morning 'jungle sounds' were great to wake up to.

The location is a good 15 minute walk and a slight hike, particularly if you have a room at the top like us! but ok if you are of average fitness though I would check with them first if you are unsure. Also there is a boat service from Railay East to the resort so ask about this first too.

Staff were fantastic and their service, personal and spot on. Particular thanks to Nikki in the restaurant and Wa and colleagues at reception for their chat and answering all our questions, and for their genuine and warm concern as my friend was unwell during our stay.

The resort of a nice bit of luxury (a bit pricey but worth it) and we would gladly stay there again to get away from it all. Probably more aimed at the couples/honeymooners market but groups of friends, solos and families like us would equally enjoy it.

Room Tip: Ask the hotel where your room is if you want to avoid walking right to the top and also ask about th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Barcelona, Spain
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We have been at other resorts in thailand, in the same trip, and where generally happy with most of them. Our experience here was so bad, i don't even know where to begin.
The place is very noisy because of the longtail boats that roam right in front of it, at all times. It feels like sleeping in front of a highway.
The location is terrible: there is a shuttle (boat) but if you just want to get to railay west (the lively part of the island) you will have to walk a smelly, never-ending strip full of garbage just to get to railay east, which isn't pretty, then cross over to railay west trough another smelly alley. If you must stay in railay beach, do yourself a favor and stay in one of the resorts in railay west. (Thailand is full of amazing places but we found out, sadly, that railay beach isn't one of them).
Service: in general, the staff was rude, especially at the restaurant, with a few exceptions. What baffled me is that literally nobody who works there speaks english, with the exception of the manager, whom I only saw one time. I mean nobody. Not even at the reception desk.
To get to the rooms/bungalows, you must be prepared to CLIMB, unless you are in one of the few rooms closer to the reception area.
The rooms are actually very nice inside, but they are not well built. Lots of mosquitos all the time, and on the first night, a COCKROACH fell from the bathroom's roof right on my HEAD. On the second night, there were two cockroaches roaming freely in the bathroom, and one in the bedroom. When I asked the hotel to do something about it, they send someone to unclog the toilet (huh?). When I realized they didnt understand what I was saying, I showed them a picture of a cockroach, and with a few hand gestures, they seemed to understand what the problem was. They came 20 minutes later with .. an anti-bug repellent spray. We checked out the next day.
By the way, this "resort" isn't even listed in tripadvisor's list of "hotels in railay beach". It is listed under "ranches in krabi town", which makes no sense. They either don't know how (which would'nt surprise me) or they did it on purpose to avoid potential customers from reading the bad reviews. Why some people have written good reviews about this place is beyond me. I can say without any hesitation that I am never ever coming back.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else. Avoid railay beach if you can. If you must book a room here, try to get the one...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a lovely resort if you are looking for some peace and quiet in a remote location as the resort is located at the far end of Railay East, away from restaurants and beaches. There is a shuttle boat available 3 times a day, otherwise you need to walk at least 15 minutes to get to the livelier part of Railay. However, it does have a very unique natural and peaceful atmosphere and the bungalows are superb. Breakfast was poor and staff not very helpful (although nice, they didn't have a clue what was happening.) The only problem we had was that we booked for 3 nights and were told that the 3rd night the hotel had overbooked, so they transferred us to another resort- Sea Sand Resort at Railay West, which was fine by us as it is more centrally located. However, it lacks the special atmosphere of Great View Resort.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

Is is not cheap, but it was a lovely place to stay and fall asleep to the jungle sounds.

Rooms were amazing, charming, big and beautiful, and the view is great. Be warned tho, this is a bamboo hut. Insects do follow the experience.

The hotel is a little hike from railey east, but that won't be a problem if you are not elderly or have difficulties moving,

That being said the staff was so and so. The manager was very helpful and really nice, but the rest of the staff was mostly giggly girls and ladyboys. Luckily they call for the manager. Breakfast was really good, but for lunch and dinner the food and service wasn't much to brag about.

Stayed December 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

I stayed there for one night,we arrive about 7 pm and we walked from West Railey.It was dark and quite far.Hotel is locate in the hill and room also locate on the hill.We need to climb to the room.But the room is really nice ,beautiful but there have a lot of mosquitoes.I like swimming pool too.So if someone want to go that hotel,I think you should better contact with hotel to get you from a shore.Cuz many taxi boat seem like to go to west Railey.but it is reasonable price.umm I guess It is locate far from another hotel as well

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Telluride, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

This resort is very loud! It's located on East Railay which is nice because it is farther away from all of the other resorts. The rooms are beautiful and spacious, although somewhat dirty. There are mice and there was mice poop on my bed daily. Also, I'm not sure if the sheets had been changed as when I moved the mosquito net from underneath the mattress, there were spider carcasses. My biggest complaint about this resort though was the fact that it is so loud. The long tail boats travel by here at least every half hour, really only stopping for a couple hours a night. They are very loud- I bought ear plugs second night here hoping to sleep better, but still was disappointed as it didn't help that much. Yes, it's that loud.
Also, the rooms are cliff side so it's quite a hike to get to your room (I counted 106 steps). I ordered room service the first day and the guy who delivered it was making quite a commotion about coming all the way up to my room. He conviently didn't have change so I had to tip him about 100 baht extra. I left the plates on the counter in my room for the maid staff to clean up and the maids simply put them outside on the front step of my bungalow. They remained there for the next 4 days attracting more mice and bugs.
The restaurant was okay, breakfast was somewhat gross. Everyday I would get asked by 3 different staff members what my room number was even though it was free breakfast for all rooms. I ate lunch here a couple of times and wondered about the cleanliness as the whole staff was a bunch of young thai girls braiding each other's hair while waiting for the food to come up.
Overall, I was really let down by this resort. The main guy at the front desk was the best part about it. And the pool was nice. But the noise level was terrible. It was like living next to a drill hammer 24/7 .

Room Tip: I wouldn't spend the money to stay here. It's a ripoff.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Christchurch
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

We were excited to arrive at this lovely place, a treat for us pricewise at the end of a 6 month long travelling stint. Dropped right on the door step at the beach by longtailboat and bags taken up to our room which was lovely. Itlooked very romantic in the forest with an amazing view.
However after two nights of terrible sleep, being woken up at sunrise with the noise of longtailboats whizzing past, we decided to leave two days early. After visiting some other places down the track we found a cheaper bungalow room at Anyavee which wasn't nearly so affected by noise despite being right in the main village strip.
The pool was lovely but again, not restful with the prevailing wind pushing the noise onto the Headland this is on. It really did sound like a combo of helicopters, lawn mowers and chainsaws all going off together. We found it disappointing that two days of our holiday we spent tired and frazzled, and were much more relaxed at our new and cheaper accommodation. The guy who arrived us and could speak a little English, however, was just lovely.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Railay Great View Resort? Share your experiences!