“hannahs dream day” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 1 Attractions in Armoy
Type: Horseback Riding Stables, Ranch & Farm
More attraction details
Owner description: Enjoy the most extensive Horse / Pony Trekking and Hacking facilities along Ireland’s North Coast at Sheans Horse Farm. Sheans Horse Farm is a Riding School and Trekking Centre on the McKinley family farm in the North Antrim hills. Our riding takes place on miles of offroad tracks that wind high into the beautiful North Antrim Hills. Beginners or confident riders can experience the freedom, fun and buzz of horse riding at Sheans Horse Farm.
Carrickfergus, United Kingdom
“hannahs dream day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

We traveled as a family to sheans horse farm from carrickfergus co antrim and had such a wonderful time the staff were more than helpful and especially with my wife who was a bit frightend of the horses but they put Hannah and Catherine at ease and with the trainning at the start they both were riding like jockeys. A big thank you from the Rosbotham family we certianly will be back for more.

Randalstown, United Kingdom
“Amazing Time for Kids for such a great price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Made the decision to take the kids pony trekking after 2 of them got a quick pony ride at a fair, so searched the internet for somewhere to take them and Sheans appeared. I rung late at 6pm on the Monday night to see if they were still open or could I get a space for the next day, I got speaking to Danny who said they were fully booked but he managed to free up some time to take us out on a 40 min pony trek at 2pm.

We arrived before 2pm and made our way to the office where we met the welcoming Danny, I filled in the relevant paper work forms and sorted the kids out with boots and helmets, there are plenty of boots and helmets of various sizes and could easily cater for a large group. Danny then took us to the stables where he picked out horses for us that were catered to our age and riding abilities. I had a 5 year old, 7 year old and 11 year old and myself who were all riding, Danny picked out the horses and then helped the children mount the horses and ensured that the stirrups etc where the correct length adjusting to suit before leading them out to the front enslosure where he took the time to walk the children round 1 by 1 to ensure they were comfortable with the horses and to get them used to riding. There was plenty of instructions giving about getting the horses to stop, go, turn left and right etc.

There was a total of 6 of us out in total for the ride, so once everyone was ready we set on our way with Danny taking the lead with my 5 year old daughter leading us out. We then had Odhran looking after my 7 year old leading her horse, the rest of us followed suit. Coming out of the stables Danny made sure that we practised stopping the horses a few times to ensure everyone again knew what they were doing. Danny was talking to the whole group and ensuring that everyone kept in line and kept up on the 40 min trek where we went along the tracks, across a few burns, up the hill and back to the indoor arena. When we were out for about 20 mins, Danny and Odhran after ensuring the 2 youngest girls where ok, let them take the reigns of the horse themselves whilst they walked beside them. This was good as it give them the confidence of being in charge whilst also having the safety of Danny or Ohran beside them

I must comment after reading the other review posted here earlier, that Danny was one of the nicest men I have met, plenty of chat and he was forever making a fuss over the children to ensure that they were ok and having a good time. Odhran who was helping Danny with my other 7 year old daughter, was so unbelievable friendly, talking away to her about everything and anything and a real star, I honestly don't think there would be many other young teenagers his age that would have been the way he was.

Once we got back to the indoor arena I thought that was it, as our 40 mins had passed since we left on the trek, but to my surprise, Danny then spent another 20 mins with us all, showing us how to trot and taking each of us trotting round the indoor arena, so they are definitely not clock watchers and our out to ensure everyone has a good time.

I had booked the 40 min trek as I wasn't sure if my 5 year old would have liked to have been out for longer, but I now wished I had booked the 70 min trek as she didn't want to leave.

To sum it up it really was a great time, I didn't think it would have been as good as it was, the kids loved it and spent the journey home pestering me to take them again to it, which I will be arranging in the near future. For the price which was incredibly good value (£10 each) and also the care and attention shown by Danny and Odhran I will definitely be booking to come back again.

Thanks
Trevor, Lola, Lucy + Rory (33, 5, 7, 11)

antrim
“Who ever you are you are so wrong (below)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Shean horse farm is a wonderful place with good staff and good well looked after horses. Danny was fantastic with us and with every one. I fell sorry for him what he had to put up with. I was there on saturday and everything was amzing. WIll BE BACK VERY SOON AND I WOULD MAKE SURE YOU VISIT SHEANS HORSE FARM (LOOK AT THE REST OF THE COMMENTS) Think about it

Visited August 2012
“Won't be back in a hurry...but loved it last year when the company was better.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012

After an amazing time last year with donal as our mentor...we were left wanting to go back for more. Took a friend& had Danny as a mentor..I found him v.arrogant and ignorant! My stirrup wasn't correct which I complained about& it left me in a v.bouncy canter..I was told to change horse(the exact 1 I was on before..which I didn't want to..so I adjusted my stirrup& got on comfortable after that! I felt that Danny had a pick on me because I didn't change horse( which I knew I could ride perfectly with adjusents! My friend was on a horse which she had complained she heard the shoe clink in the arena before hand..when she complained she was told it was a great horse&it must be her riding skills..the horse refused to canter..but for a v.gd reason..the shoe came v.v.loose&was pushed forward..yet my friend was told to push the horse on..it was obviously v.uncomfortable&dangerous for both horse&rider! But ignorance & smug comments were the name to us both was the name of the game! My friend wanted to walk the horse bk like any good horseie person would..but was told to canter on! The shoe eventually fell off near the end! When complaining at the end...the room had 5-6 people in the office..when briefly mentioning the problem..instead of good service..the people in the office who were on theidst of walking out..were told to 'stay there'..which I found very unprofessional..no discount was offered..no apology was offered & it was clear the warfare of the animal& visitor weren't thought off! A dodgy shoe could have been highly dangerous in a canter in a group... Also if I had a shoe half on/half off I wouldn't be so kean on walking..never mind running! It's such a shame..as we plan an excursion twice yearly..I have had my own sport horses which I compete with to a high level in both jumping &hunting,to be offended by some1 over something that wasn't my fault due to a minor problem of 2 different strrip leathers,were 1 was too short& the other was too long..I felt I was v. singled out! Being in front of a horse with a dodgy shoe& wanting to canter..whilst the other horse only trotted was also a problem..but when I mentioned it..again it was my fault! Not v.impressed! Once I adjusted my own stirrups I had a comfortable ride& could have rode him all day..but v.unhappy with everything otherwise!

Portadown, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“A wonderful experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2012

I went with my 2 daughters aged 8 and 14, and were greeted with a beautiful location in rolling countryside. It was my first time riding anything without an engine and brakes, and the staff took their time to make sure I was comfortable, well instructed and at ease before we left the yard. My daughters received not only instruction and attention, but genuine friendly chat and encouragement. In fact, it was the attitude of the staff, from Ray who was in charge, right down to the young girls helping the younger children which made it such a special experience - I don't think I have ever encountered any venue where every single member of staff was so warm and welcoming! Special thanks to Aiden for keeping an eye on me and my daughters - all in all a wonderful experience which we will be delighted to repeat. Don't change a thing, it's already perfect!!

Visited July 2012