“Aussies on the road” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tall Trees B&B

You added Tall Trees B&B to your Saves list
Tall Trees B&B
4.0 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   Cork Road | Nr Portlaoise, Stradbally, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Stradbally B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Aussies on the road”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

Charming, helpful hosts. Most hospitable & welcoming. Much trouble taken with breakfast. Extremely comfortable, well-appointed room. Allowed us access to kitchen at any time for a cup of tea. Good car space. Great local knowledge of things to do & see. Interested in our travels & life at home. Definitely recommend to all travellers.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

My father and I travelled across Ireland and stayed in B&Bs for the duration. This was the best of the ones we stayed in and we wished we were able to stay there longer (we were only in the area for one night). Booking couldn't have been easier - we called from the road the day we needed to stay and they told us they had a room and would see us whenever we were done with our sightseeing for the day. The room was spacious and comfortable and bathroom was HUGE for a B&B - it was great to have a little room to move around! Kathleen and Eamon were so lovely and accommodating - they were so helpful getting us settled and suggesting a few places to have dinner (which was a bit difficult on an early evening on a Sunday). The room was more than comfortable, the beds were wonderful - so warm and cozy the night we stayed! Before we left, we chatted with Kathleen and Eamon about what our plans were for the rest of the trip and they offered tips and suggestions. We never felt like we were staying in someone else's home, never felt like we were imposing - we felt more than welcome. I would definitely reccommend Tall Trees to anyone looking for a B&B in that part of the country and I know my dad and I would stay there again in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: The house is in a quiet area, so I would assume all rooms are quiet. Our room looked out over the f...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

Kathleen welcomed us so nicely and warm that we would have liked to stay. We got so many good recommendations and appreciated evry one of them. Tall Trees is a fantastic B&B and to be recommended to everyone who is travelling to Portlaoise. Very nice room, comfortable beds and also nice and clean bathroom.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Dunkineely, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My partner and I stayed in Tall Trees for one night as we had an event to attend in nearby Ballintubbert. Kathleen & Eamon both welcomed us and made us feel at home right off the bat. The house is gorgeous, clean and extremely well kept.. as for the room.. I've never stayed in a more comfortable bed with sheets that soft in my life. It was perfect for what we wanted and after our 4hr journey from Donegal Kathleen's pot of tea and scones was just what we needed.
Breakfast the next morning was delicious. My yoghurt and Full Irish was yummy (even after a night out!)
Kathleen and Eamon could not have been more accomodating and when we asked them if they had any taxi numbers so we could collect our car out in Ballintubbert, Eamon offered to take us himself with no hesitation what so ever!
If I'm ever down that direction again I shall be giving Kathleen a ring for sure... :) Thank you so much!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Staying with Kathleen & Eamon was more like visiting a favourite Aunt and Uncle for my children and us, when we traveled over for a wedding and stayed for 3 nights in their immaculately clean, well equipped and comfortable home. The booking was uncomplicated, just a brief email to confirm, but all correct on arrival. The welcome was as warm as the piping hot Irish breakfasts cooked to order every morning. Nothing was too much trouble - we even got help getting around from the family-friendly couple. The stylish decor in the lounge made an evening relaxing chat into a really enjoyable treat when accompanied by delicious home-baking and tea - it really felt like staying with relatives, only even better! I'd recommend this B&B to anyone who wants a professional yet incredibly welcoming and warm stay in the Portlaoise area. Full marks and a huge thank you.

Room Tip: Kathleen offered us a travel cot which fitted well in the family room as well as the single bed for...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

Just returned from a trip to visit family, having stayed at Tall Trees. I do not usually take the time to review places but I was so blown away by this B&B that I had to write a few comments. Kathleen and Eamonn could not have done more to make us welcome. The house was immaculate, I travelled with my husband, 2 year old and my parents (who are extremely fussy) we were made to feel at home straight away. We originally picked the location due to family being close by, however I would recommend the location for those wanting a change from the hustle and bustle of Dublin. We travelled to Dublin on two days and it took less than an hour, the roads links from here are excellent. There are a few things to see and do in Stradbally and the surrounding area. I cannot say enough about this place and would highly recommend it - the breakfasts were also something to write home about. My fussy family are already planning next year's trip!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2008

I thought I wrote a review of Tall Trees back in June, but apparently I didn't! I meant to, so here it is a few months late...

I wanted a B&B for overnight stop between Kinsale and Dublin (airport), somewhere between 1-2 hours from the airport. Tall Trees came up in my search and with no other info to go on but one exterior picture, I contacted the owners via email to book a room for my husband and myself. I received a friendly reply and confirmation.

We found the location without problem, were greeted warmly by Kathleen, the owner. They have a beautiful home. She showed us upstairs to our room and then had tea waiting for us in the dining room. Tea consisted of wonderful hot tea, cookies or biscuits, cheesecake AND ice cream!! Wow!

The room was on the small side, we were the only guests that night, so I peeked into other rooms, a few were larger. I supposed we could have switched rooms had we asked, but our room was fine. A skylight in the bathroom made it nice and bright.

We wanted to get something to eat and get back to the room to watch the soccer match that night, Kathleen suggested we head into Portlaoise for dinner, as the little town of Stradbally didn't have much to offer. On the way to town, we stopped at The Rock of Dunamase (sp?) less than 5 minutes drive from the B&B. This is a GREAT old fort/castle/dwelling way up on a hill with incredible views - VERY worth the side trip!!

Well, the town of Portlaoise hasn't much to offer as far a dining options go, either. We walked the entire length of the main street and found no more than 3 eateries open. We settled on a little pizza take out place. Put in our order and then went next door to the bar for a drink.

Back to the B&B - in the morning we enjoyed a fantastic breakfast. I'm a tea drinker, but my husband is a coffee drinker and Kathleen had what he said was the best coffee of our two week trip. After breakfast, we visited with the owners for a while, then set out on what was a very simple drive (maybe an hour and a half to and hour and 45 minutes) to drop the rental car at the airport before heading to Dublin for 2 nights.

Tall Trees B&B was a great last B&B stop on our trip!

• Liked — Delicious breakfast, very friendly owners, beautiful home
  • Disliked — Proximity to quality dining options for evening meal
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Tall Trees B&B? Share your experiences!