“Closed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dixville
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
“Closed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

We were on a road trip to New England and I came across this resort in a guide book. I wanted to see the famous Dixville Notch anyway and as we came over the Notch we could see The Balsams set back from the road. What a beautiful sight! We went in the back road and didn't determine until we got closer that it is closed. According to news coverage six months ago, there was a fire in part of the facility. Some of it is being torn down and the whole thing is being down-sized by the owners with the hope of re-opening next year. They are looking for funding for part of it and it wasn't clear how that is working out. It is a very large facility dating back a hundred years and in a remote place as close to Montreal as Burlington VT. Good luck with the financing and renovations!

Room Tip: No rooms available right now. Ratings based on nothing available.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

finally stopped for a romantic week-end, after have driven by year after year! Now I know what I was missing.
This place is fantastic, the grounds are breathtaking the views are fantastic. It s a grand hotel we stayed in guedt room in older section and this is were you want to be. It s very cosy and old fashion. The meals were mouth watering and very well presented, good wine list. Beautiful golf course and lovely places to take a stroll. Worth the stop..... Want to go back soon....

• Stayed July 2013
Way's Mills
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Yesterday I stopped at the Balsams to check it out for a possible group event I'm planning. I was surprised to see it closed, but more shocked to see the current condition of it. The website says that it is undergoing renovations (no on-site signage). That's an understatement. I thought that the place had been blown down by a hurricane. I'm serious - roofs in a state of collapse, actually much of the place in a state of collapse. It looks like an abandoned derelict. "Total rebuild" would be a better description of what's happening. Considering the size of the place, and the evident pace of work, I would estimate that the project will take some years to complete if there is serious money behind it. Also, I will not be surprised if there is a dramatic downsize, considering the gigantic foundations that are now empty. Must have been nice once. How will they recreate the antique charm it once had?

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
SW England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

We chose to stay at The Balsams in Dixville Notch as it seemed to be one of the great American Hotels. Placed in a remote part of northern NH it is where the first voting results are counted in the Presidential Elections. The drive to the Balsams is spectacular, and there is always the hope of seeing a moose or two en route! The approach to the hotel is a special beautiful so have the camera ready at all times.

Our room was delightful all white with floaty curtains no phone on the bedside table (thank goodness) no TV and huge, fat radiators just like we have at home.

The dining room is amazing and the dress code is formal which we like (jackets for the men). The quality and presentation of the food is a culinary delight - I even had a chocolate moulded Moose in my pudding! The service is second to none. Probably ranks number one in the best breakfast we have ever enjoyed.

There are places for quiet relaxation and music to listen to and a night club for those who enjoy more noisy entertainment. There is a very good hotel shop too!

We were there in summer so I can only imagine how beautiful this place would be in the winter. I would love to return.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Brookline, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

The ONLY thing worth anything was the food. The place is a dump. Clean but older than I could believe.The walls are paper thin & you can hear between rooms. Rooms are small-beds are old-NOTHING in the room except WINDOW air conditioning,not even a TV (forget internet).
If you go when there is no snow it is only good for golf players. The pool is OK but the weather is always cool & misty because it is almost in Canada country.No indoor pool. Exercise room has minimal equipment.
There is almost no entertainment. An old movie or empty bar with good music but usually only 1 or 2 pieces. You can be bored out of you mind if that is what you want. The room price is outrageous for what you get.I went a little south to Manchester & for $100.00 plus got a nice room with TV-WiFi,microwave,refrig,indoor pool,etc.-comp.breakfast and close to great restaurants,movies, entertainment, etc. I can stay for a week for what the Balsams gets for one night.The must wear jacket for dinner tries to give the place what it does not have,CLASS. Stay away unless they do the whole place over & do it well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Carmichael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My husband and I honeymooned here in August 2010 (not 2011..it apparently doesn't go back that far) and since then I've completely fallen in love with the place. The food was AMAZING, the room was gorgeous and comfortable and the service was beyond amazing (They took hospitality to a whole new level for our honeymoon and made our stay unforgettable) The views and the drive to and from was spectacular. I cannot wait until they re-open so I can return and make this a family vacation tradition.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Laval, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We drove by and stopped there on our return trip from Acadia NP. We were surprised to see it closed as we were not aware of the current situation. One close look to the building and it was obvious it needed the upgrade. The renovations were well under way. All the toilets were removed and standing in the rear parking lot. We drove around and there was a demolition team tearing down the old powerhouse. We drove back and filled our bottles in the newly renovated spring pavillon. We will be back when it opens as the nearby trails looked inviting...

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Balsams Grand Resort? Share your experiences!