“Crater is worth going to” 4 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Special Offer
$118*
and up
Manila Super Saver: Manila Sightseeing plus...
Type: Volcanos, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: Taal Volcano is located about 60 km (about 37 miles) south of Metro Manila. Last major eruption was reported back in 1965 that affected villages in the surrounding area.
Manila, Philippines
14 attraction reviews
“Crater is worth going to”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

Expect to spend a day here if you want to take a leisurely stroll. You can take a boat from any of the small towns surrounding the lake, but people usually go down from Tagaytay to Talisay and take a boat to the volcano island. From there it's either by trek or by horse up to the crater and into the inner lake. Magnificent pristine views and you will be amazed at how fast the locals on the island can sprint up the volcano in their rubber slippers.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
WWW
5 attraction reviews
“Pity the ponies”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

I decided early on that I would walk up the Taal; and despite the warnings that the trail would be dusty and hot, and physically taxing, I went ahead.

And enjoyed every minute. I stopped whenever I wanted, for as long as I wanted (mainly for photo taking). And indeed, Taal offers a very spectacular view at the top. Do not just stop at the sheds selling buko juice and T-shirts. There is a little path that leads some way along the crater rim that gives an unobstructed view of the lake within a lake. Be aware though that the drop on both sides can be steep, so those with vertigo may want to avoid this.

I saw many ponies being driven up and down the volcano; there were even a few mares with young and the poor babies had to gallop hard after their mothers. A few other ponies were obviously tired, and many panted hard to make the laborious climb with riders on their backs. Very heartwrenching indeed.

Newyork
3 attraction reviews
“wonderful views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

unbelievable views. dont miss seeing this place. ive been several times but still in awe everytime i visit. just simply beautiful

Manama, Bahrain
22 attraction reviews
“The first volacano I've ever seen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Tagaytay city is one of the ungorgettable cities I've visited. It's really beautiful as it offers large green spaces, mountains and volacanoes. Taal Volcano is an extinct volcano. We went to Tagaytay city by a taxi and there was a man who offers you a 45 minutes ride to Taal Volcano by a ferry. He told me it coasts 4000 Pesos, but I wasn't really convinced so he took only 2000 Pesos so you should be careful as they want you always to pay more!

Visited September 2012
Makati
9 attraction reviews
“TAAL Volcano is beautiful but.... read on!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This is the second time that I visited this place. the first time was in 2011 and it was such a wonderful experience. The visit was arranged by my Filipino friend in advance. This trip my guests and self took a bus from the Integrated bus terminal and it cost us 74pho to get to Tagaytay city. I made arrangements for the boat ride rental and horses. It was a disaster as I am a still a foreigner even though I have been here for 3 years. The vendors (boat operators and vendors on the island) took advantage of us and really rip us off. I am used to paying slightly higher being non Filipino but not like this. There were numerous boat stations in Talisay but I believe they are all the same - cut throat. The initial offer was 4500php but after I showed my working permit and much haggling and the threat to just go back to Manila that the price finally dropped to 3000php for the boat. On reaching the island, we were ushered to a vendor who insisted that we pay 1000php for the horse and guide which he claimed is the regulation, I repeated the same resident status story and decided to head back to the boat but these champions were really aggressiveI (probably business was poor as it was very empty due to the drizzle). We eventually settled for 750php per visitor inclusive of entrance fee through the boatman whom I believe is part of the team. He did not get a tip. I accepted as I do not want to disappoint my guests. The 25 minutes (2 km) horse ride up the trek was so bumby that your butt hurts. Walking up is an option if you are fit and young but the trek is not great with trails of horse poo and small rocks! The view at the crater was magnificient though. This place is getting too commercial. Golf clubs for photo shoot on the top of the crater is also available now for 50php.

Tips for tourists - The horse ride actually cost only 450php, entrance fee 50php and the boat ride is not more than 3000php for the 20 minutes ride (return trip) to the island. On reaching the island go straight to the offcial station to pay the entrance fees and rent the horse there which I believe is governed by the 500pho rental as there was a sign which stated so but the price was erased. I am sure it is not more than 500php. Tip the guide if you feel the service is good. Do not follow the boatman directions to divert elsewhere and and give them an opprotunity to rip you off!. Overall if not for these erring vendors, the rating for Taal Volcano would be very good but these guys spoil the fun for the tourists. The vendors will never touch you if you are also aggresive. The authorities should standardized the boat and horse ride cost to the island in tourist brochures.You will not die in the island as they just want to make more money from you! I reckoned this will be my lst trip to this place but Tagaytay as a whole is an excellent place to visit. Lost fo other places of interest to visit and good food.