“Wonderful room (good thing)” 4 of 5 stars

Save up to 35%
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mamora Bay
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Naples, Florida
“Wonderful room (good thing)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

We just returned from a week at the St. James Club. The property is very, very scenic and it's also interesting hiking around as the property is large. We were very pleased with our great upgraded Royal Suites room and it was a good thing as we spent alot of time in the room because of the rain! We were there in early November, and our last 2 days were very rainy. We were happy with our beautiful bay view and lovely deck. It was quite warm when we were there and the wind on the Atlantic side was strong many days. Our catamaran/snorkel trip was cancelled one day because of wind, then cancelled on the second scheduled day because of rain, so we never were able to go. We had heard the boat trip was really great and were very disappointed. We felt the food was good with alot of variety. The breakfasts at the Rainbow Grill were always very good with lots of fresh fruit and the made to order omlettes were great. Lunches were fine. We ate at Coco's, Rainbow and the beach grill. Our best 2 dinners were at Piccolo Mondo. It's really beautiful up there and the food and service are definitely worth the extra expense. We also did the buffets and a la carte at the Docksider and Rainbow and for sure preferred the Docksider as the ambiance at night was lots better than the Rainbow. We had a private taxi tour of Shirley Heights and a really good lunch at Nelsons Dockyard. We found the staff to be exceptionally polite and nice and didn't see what other reviews noticed about bad experiences. The property isn't ultra ultra delux, but is exceptionally well maintained and our room was beautiful and very updated.

Room Tip: I'd definitely recommend the upgrade to the Royal Suites. We greatly preferred the bay side and...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (631)
  • Greek first
Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

We stayed during Antigua Sailing Week & got married here too! Our friends commented on how laid back the wedding was. We couldn't have asked for more. The hotel was fully booked but there was always a place to sunbathe, swim, eat or drink. The staff at all levels were very helpful & friendly, despite being under pressure. All the rooms are comfortable, spacious & very clean. The hotel grounds are very pretty and well maintained. There's plenty to do other than flake out on the pristine beaches or around the pool. The drinks cart on the beach was most welcome.

We sampled every restaurant & bar. The cocktails were all perfect. On the whole the food was very good & plentiful, catering to all tastes. Service can sometimes be a bit slow, but don't forget you are on Island Time! Piccolo's was our favourite & worth paying that little bit extra for. The group that plays at Docksiders on Saturday were really good, particularly the lead singer. She was great.

The wedding arrangements could not have been easier. Apart from booking the Minister in advance, everything else was arranged just a few days before the ceremony. The pagoda was beautifully decorated, the minister was great fun. We later discovered that he is a MBE for his services to Culture & Tourism for Antigua & Barbuda. We felt very honoured to be married by him. The photographer took some excellent images & the rum & raison wedding cakes was heavenly. Everyone wanted the recipe.

Thank to all at the St James's Club for making our holiday & wedding so special.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Crawley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

Fantastic hotel.
Cleaners kept it spotless, even Dubai's Burj wasn't as clean as this place!
Great location - quiet and out of the way - feels very exclusive.
Great beds - very large and comfy.
Food was great - even the buffets were surprisingly good. Veggies may find it slightly difficult here though.
Service was quite appalling by some staff. Which is a shame because many others really do make the effort. Some of the bad staff make you wait needlessly before they decide to serve you. They don't smile or say hello..simply "What do you want?". Some others don't look you in the eyes whilst talking to you which makes you feel uneasy. Many other staff attentive and helpful. Management should seriously kick the useless staff out onto the street and promote the staff that actually make an effort - it's not right that the good staff are undermined by the bad.

If it wasn't for the staff issue I would have given it 5*.

Will go back for sure but will hire a car next time.

Room Tip: All rooms are good, we had beachfront.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments about your recent stay at the St. James's Club. We value your feedback as a way to continuously improve our guests' experience.

We are sorry that you did not feel you experienced the genuine warmth and hospitality on the part of our entire staff. We work very hard to provide a friendly and welcoming atmosphere through all of our employees.

We are delighted that you will return and look forward to welcoming you back very soon!
kanata
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

I visited Antigua with my mom. I wished the children were with me because there was so much that they would have enjoyed doing at St. James's Club. But it was great for my mom and I too.
They really cater to everyone's needs. When my mom couldn't manage to walk the distance, not to mention in the dark since we ate dinner late, they always sent a golf cart to pick us up and take us to the restaurant of our choice. Although for able people everything is conveniently located. Not sure if this resort is wheel chair accessible.
The food was really good. Lots of variety of flavor. Always something the kids would have liked. Lots of local flavors.
I would definitely go to St. James's again.
To me it appeared that every unit has a view of the water (it doesn't matter what size your unit is).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We stayed at the St James club for 1 week at the start of November and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. On arrival we were upgraded to a royal suite which was absolutely beautiful with a view to die for.

The setting is gorgeous and the hotel is built in such a way that it blends into the landscape rather than obstructs. The beaches on both sides are clean and idyllic although the Altantic side is definitely windier. The drinks cart on the beach is such a treat when you don't have the energy to wander to the bar.

The food is overall quite good. For breakfasts you can choose from fresh fruit, omelettes cooked to order, pastries or a full English. Lunch is simple which is refreshing for an all inclusive resort, you can normally choose from potatoes / rice / couscous and a selection of fresh salads and meat / fish. Dinners vary - Cocos has a good mix of things, the rainbow room has a smaller menu and then docksider has a themed buffet each evening. We also went to piccolo twice, it is a beautiful place and a great menu with lots to choose from - garlic shrimp, crab salad, tuna, snapper, grouper and of course lobster.

There are also a range of classes / activities to choose from: early morning stretch class, pilates, bums & tummy (which is so tough!), body conditioning & circuits. Colin taught us most classes and he was brilliant - really friendly, clear & encouraging.

You can pay for a catamaran trip which we did on our second last day and I wish we had done it earlier. Captain Joseph & Sean really set the tone - it was really interesting but mostly just great fun. It was the best boat trip I have ever been on without question. We lay on the nets at the front and were served run punches whenever our glasses looked low! By the end of the trip (after snorkelling!!) everyone was up dancing. It was just amazing.

One other thing to note is the cocktails at the main pool - so nice!

We did leave the resort a few times to see the island - dancing at Shirley heights (thanks to our taxi driver to came up pick us up later than planned!), shopping in St Johns and dinner in Trappas (English harbour) which was absolutely gorgeous & such a great atmosphere.

I would definitely go again to Antigua & St James again - the staff set the tone which is relaxed & fun. The place is gorgeous and nothing is too much trouble.

Thanks for a fabulous holiday, we will be back!

Room Tip: The catamaran trip is a must!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

Went to that hotel with an organized group and was totally desapointed by the food, the service and the place. The price was very high for the down season and the food variety was the worst I have seen in my whole travel experience. The hotel ran out of wine, the a la carte restaurant reimbursed the group for the poor quality of food, all the food tasted like salt..... There is entertainment only until 10 after that the whole resort becomes likes a mortuary imagine when u r a group of 20 traveling, it was a long week.... I do not recomend that hotel at all, the country is gorgeous but if u want a little entertainement and u want to feel like you are in the west indies go to another part of Antigua.... Sorry to the manager who was a very nice man but could not do more with the place....

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Gusts,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to The St. James's Club. We greatly appreciate guest comments and take all reviews very seriously.

We are disappointed that your stay at the St. James's Club did not meet your expectations. The St. James's Club enjoys a well deserved reputation as one of the Caribbean's best and most beloved resorts. Much of our success can be attributed to our very loyal repeat guest customer base who visit year after year. This is because St. James's Club consistently delivers a stellar vacation experience to our guests which is communicated to our staff personally and through various guest surveys and online forums. The vast majority of our guests rave about our accommodations, dining experience, grounds and most importantly, our amazing staff that are committed to greeting every guest as if they were welcoming them into their own homes.

We, at The St. James's Club, are committed to providing impeccable service and delivering a most memorable vacation experience. We hope to welcome you back so that you may enjoy our hospitality which we are known for once again.
calif
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

As a faithful TripAdvisor reader I have to say back in June when I needed help deciding where to book my next vacation, I found the absolute BEST hotel reviews I have ever read for the St James's Club. I couldn't believe the near perfect reviews. People loved this place! Never before had I read such good reviews, one after another. So I quickly booked a one week trip for Oct 19-26th. Unfortunately , as the months passed I began to read reviews that began to have complaints in them. "Rude employee's" seemed to be the biggest complaint. By October, I wasn't sure what I was going to find. ( I was a little scared!)

As we arrived, we found it to be one of the most beautiful property's we have visited. It's very large, and very well manicured.... just beautiful. We were warmly greeted and offered a welcome cocktail. When I booked the resort, I requested a ground floor, ocean side room. We had traded our timeshare through RCI. Through the forums , I had tried to figure out which rooms we would be booked in, but with no answers, I called the resort and requested a ocean front "Mango" room... when we checked in, of course, they booked us in what I believe to be one of only 4 non-ocean view rooms on the property.....(room #104) OF COURSE!!!! We declined that room, and asked to be able to walk around the property and pick a room for upgrade. They graciously said for us to take our luggage to that room, freshen up, relax awhile, then walk around and pick another room. we were booked into the "Hibiscus rooms" garden view. It would be a $50.00 per night / $350.00 for the week to upgrade to one of the other ocean front buildings "mango, papaya or pineapple" After walking around, we found that the "ocean side" of the "Hibiscus" buildings suited us just fine! We went back to the front desk, told the lady "we would like rooms: 105 to 114" after a search, she found one of those room would be available! she re booked us into #110 and it was PERFECT!!! and we saved an additional $350.00!!!! we were able to have coffee on our balcony every morning, looking at the ocean,and thats just what we wished for!!!!

we found the resort pretty much the way everyone else has reviewed it in the prior reviews.

It was off season, which was perfect...( as we were leaving, we found it becoming very busy, I guess it was the beginning of Winter Break in England.... lots of kids coming in) whew..glad to miss that!

food was very good, even with only two restaurants open each night, we NEVER waited one minute to be seated (another complaint I had read about)

we thought the nightly entertainment was adequate... it was fun, we danced!

I agree that the cocktail selection was minimal/scarce at the beach/pools (never found that before at all inclusives)

I also agree that some of the bartenders (a few of the women) could be EXTREAMLY RUDE!!! One day, after I ordered a drink at the beach bar, one actully said to my husband "what do you want?' I was flabbergasted !!!! this was the main complaint I had read about in the prior few months before my trip. After so many negitave reviews on TripAdvisor, we were certain this would be so simple for the Management to fix.... (have a meeting.... tell them "either be nice to the guests or you'll loose your job" simple right??? ) well, they didnt fix it!!!! It actually became a joke to my husband and me, we actually made a game out of "would she be RUDE or KIND???"" after that we tipped every "kind" bartender !!! and shook our heads at the rude ones! Unbelievable!!(Management: have Natisha be the trainer of how to treat people!! she was the best)

There did happen to be Jellyfish in that week, so we did spend most of our time on the Bay side, our favorite place was the chairs on the pier dock and the floating discs. We never had a problem finding a open chair or umbrella.

my final tip is: Bring ear plugs to sleep in!!!! they have VERY LOUD lizzards that "chirp" at night louder than crickets!!!!!!! (never saw that before!) :o)

I would still highly recommend this place, and do plan a return trip. (IF they have a bartenders meeting!!!!!!)

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to St. James's Club? Share your experiences!