“Holiday” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Mamora Bay
Bridport, United Kingdom
“Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

An absolutely amazing experience. The whole complex was spotlessly clean. There were choices of restaurants to eat at which catered for most peoples' needs. The staff were all extremely friendly and nothing was too much trouble for them. The two beaches were totally different, one was windy which was very welcome in the heat of the day and the other was ideal for swimming and the various water sports. Highly recommended. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

2,014 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
  • Greek first
Port of Spain, Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

If I could I would go there every year, most wonderful experience ever. Romantic, adventurous, clean, well organized for couples and families.
Beautiful views of the ocean. Beautiful pools and restaurants, great food and drinks, the service was excellent.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We really wanted to enjoy our stay in this resort, and while there are definitely some really good things to say, I am afraid that we did not have a great holiday.

Let me start on a positive note: The location of the hotel is great. There are two beaches, one in a bay, one on the Atlantic. We always found beach loungers whatever time of day, and the resort in general never felt too crowded. The beachfront room we were in was spacious and nicely done, if a little tired and in need of some refurbishment. There was also a good variety of things to do. Our favourite part of the stay was the brilliant steel band - Sticks & Fingers. They were great fun, and clearly love what they do. (Buy their CD, even if you never go to this resort!)

The food and drinks in the all inclusive package are very good indeed. We have stayed in other resorts in different countries, and this hotel certainly has one of the best overall range of food and drinks that we have experienced.

Some of the staff were fantastic - Jianna, who was our housekeeper, Donald at Guests Services, Alina (who's job title I don't know, sorry), and Jermaine, who served in the restaurants.

Overall, however, the service we received in this resort was really quite awful, in particular at reception and at breakfast. On one of our first days there, I asked someone at reception where we could get beach towels. She replied: "Here'" and then just looked at me for a while, until I then realised that she was waiting for me to ask for them. I would have thought the clue was in my question! Another day, we called reception at 08:00 in the morning to ask for some laundry to be picked up for same day service (same day service requires you to let them know before 09:00, which is reasonable). When we called again at 09:30 as no-one had picked up our items, we were told we should have called before 09:00! They also could not tell us whether there was an additional charge for the same day service, and there was no attempt made to find this out for us. Mostly, they were surly and unhelpful at reception (Wendy and Marah were the exceptions to this), unless the resort manager was around - when he was, they almost jumped to attention.

At breakfast, we repeatedly asked for toast on a few days, and sometimes we got (often cold) toast, but often, we'd have finished our hot food before the toast was brought to us. And some of the time, we just didn't get any toast at all. And a piece of advice, if you want a pancake for breakfast, be prepared to stand in a long - and confusing, because they make omelettes and pancakes at the same station but do not really manage who's waiting for what - queue for a good while! The service at dinner seemed to be better, generally, but you could still wait a long time before being served, and then find that you had to remind the waiting staff for your order. And the people who serve at the beach bar really must dislike their jobs. It can't be pleasant serving in that heat, I am sure, but to be so 'off' with customers is just not okay. One day, they even started serving the next person before my partner had finished giving his order.

To boot, the air conditioning in our room didn't seem to cool the room down very well, even when we were in there for an extended period of time. After a few days, we called reception to ask for someone to come and have a look. A handyman eventually come and did some work on it. It made the room marginally cooler but there wasn't a significant difference. A few days later, the unit started leaking water, so the man came back. At this point, we mentioned to him that the room still wasn't cooling very well, so he explained all the things we already knew: the ac is motion censored, and if any of the outside doors are open, this deactivates the air-conditioning. That's not really an excuse for units that just don't function well in the first place. We had some friends staying in a suite and their air-conditioning worked really well, so clearly it is possible, despite the motion sensors.

I spoke to one of the managers on duty halfway through our stay as I think it is unfair not to give people a chance to recover a situation. He was very understanding and apologetic, and got a few niggling things resolved quickly. For a couple of days after my conversation, the service seemed to pick up, but then went straight back to being unfriendly and inefficient. This left us feeling as though we were just not valued as customers. There are many other encounters that I could mention, but I would just be labouring the point.

We were lucky in that we had made some really good friends who were staying in the same hotel, and they were kind, hospitable and made sure we enjoyed our last few days. Otherwise, I think we would have just left early. I have been to a variety of islands in the Caribbean, and I know that service levels can vary, but we have also stayed in a 2.5 star hotel and in a 3 star hotel on a previous visit to Antigua, and we had fantastic service in both places. There is just no reason for a 4 star resort not to provide good service, particularly in a country which relies on tourism as one of its main sources of income. I'd like to point out here that neither my partner nor I are rude, demanding customers - we are always polite, and we know that different countries have different serving styles, so we're pretty relaxed about it, especially on holiday. But the service at this hotel just ground us down in the end.

I know a lot of people have had a great time at this resort, but it looks as though we are part of an increasing number of people who did not. There now seems to be a defensive response to by management to the honest, yet negative comments posted here on tripadvisor by various contributors. Frankly, management time would be better spent on looking at how to improve the issues, rather than defending the staff/facilities/resort once a bad experience has been created.

Based on our experience, I am sorry to say that I would not recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GuestAmbassador01, Guest Relations Manager at St. James's Club, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We would like to thank you first and foremost and tell you that we do appreciate our guest sending in their comments. We see the gift of feedback as an opportunity to consistently improve our guest's experience while with us. We pride ourselves on providing guests with accommodations in a genuine, unpretentious environment where they can enjoy a one of a kind Caribbean experience.

We’re concerned about the range of problems you experienced at our resort during your visit. We accommodate many guests, and strive to make their stay a most satisfying one. The principle goal of our resort is to provide dependable service to all of our guests, and we have been able to achieve this over the years. Because our success is measured by how our guests, evaluate our service and facilities, we want you to know that your comments have been taken seriously.

Please be assured that the issues you have mentioned have been reviewed and addressed. We take pride in our hotel, and do our best to prevent problems from reoccurring. Again, we are sorry you did not feel you experienced St. James's Club genuine hospitality which we are known for, and can only hope you give us the opportunity to do a better job in the near future.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Our room was very large and well kept. the grounds were meticulously maintained. as other reviewers noted, there is a seaweed patch on the ocean side beach but they had a team of guys raking it nonstop throughout the day. There is a nightly themed buffet, an ala carte restaurant and a fancier upscale restaurant (with an extra surcharge) plus two other casual grills - the food was good in all of them and they rotated menus throughout the week so there was a variety. There were 6-7 bars open throughout the day plus a mobile ATV bar on the beach. The staff was very attentive, a little tired looking at times, but a smile and hello warmed everybody up. There are several pools that all offer their own setting and all were clean and well maintained.

The manager, Antoine Brown, was amazing. We actually had dinner and drinks with him, he was always smiling, super friendly and on top of everything. To have this kind of personal attention from the manager of a resort this size is special service and he rightly deserves kudos.

The catamaran/snorkel ride was very nice and again the staff was great. They served food and drinks and were entertaining and informative. (Snorkeling wasn't the greatest due to poor visibility and sparse fish that day but they can't control that.) We took free sailing, windsurfing and paddle board lessons and had a lot of fun trying something new. The spa was open air overlooking the bay and the massages were excellent. The weight room had a good variety of new equipment, was clean and sufficient.

The resort is on a peninsula so geographically it is a bit isolated so if you want to explore the island you can hire a driver or rent a car.

The Bachelorette TV show finale was filmed here right before our stay which tells you something.

Overall, a very nice resort and we had a great stay, no complaints!

Room Tip: This a matter of personal preference - the rooms looked the same from what we could see - the ocean...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Angers, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We were there the first two weeks of august 2013 for two. We were in a beach front room on the ground floor, so we had direct access to the beach. The view was super, and I loved listenning to the sea when I am in bed.

The weather was superb, we only had a small storm one afternoon.

The hotel facilities are very good, and there is quite a lot to do. The spa is new and treatments are good. The restaurants are good. It is worst booking at Picolo as the service and the food are top. We went there every few nights. It is quieter, and the lobster was excellent.

The beach was great, and Alfred keeps bringing drinks to you....... It is fab and he is really friendly.

The "negative" points are : 1) coffee.... Very weak and bitter, they should really upgrade on the brand as I think that is a very important point, especially at breakfast. 2) the breakfast..... A farce! So unorganised...... 3) it is our second time in Antigua, and we stayed at a different resort last time. This time we felt that the staff was generally not friendly. We can count the nice ones on one hand...

To conclude, great place to stay as a family, we had a very relaxing holiday. I would be prepare to come back.

Room Tip: Beachfront room, ground floor
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We travelled as a family of four, with 2 children aged 6 & 9. The location and setting is top notch. We had a Beachfront Room on the Atlantic Side, and it was wonderfull to wake up early and watch the sun rise, which I did on numerous occasions.

The disappointment stems from lots of little things, that if they happened once, you would just overlook, but they happened again and again and became irritating and annoying.

My Children are by and large not bothered about Kids Clubs. They may pop in the odd time now and again if something takes their fancy. However, you try finding out what goes on in the Kids Club. For the first few days of our stay it was advertised in the lobby area, but then it disappeared. The guest services had no idea of the activities on offer, which sort of defeats the idea of having guest services.

As a family we spent most of our time by the 'main pool'. Shirley, who worked behind the bar is an absolute daimond. However, I lost count of the number of times my kids would pop to the bar for a drink, and come back and be disappointed because they did not have what they wanted (usually shakes and smoothies). This occurred virtually every day, and was staggering that the raw ingredients needed were not available. The same could be said of Ice Cream (only available from CoCos which was a good walk away). The only ice cream on offer seemed to be Rum and Raisin - for kids ?

The set up surrounding evening meals was extremely disappointing. Docksiders is a buffet restaurant, with limited choice. Rainbow Gardens was off a menu, which when open was very good. CoCos had the same menu all day and night (Burgers, Ribs etc). When the Rainbow Garden was shut (which seemed most of the time),you could pretty much guarantee a 40 minute queue to get sat down in Docksiders - made all the more frustrating by the ample empty tables - we were advised that they had insufficient cutlery ! Such was the time spent queuing, and then waiting for the kids meals to arrive (this took from arrival at the restaurant to food arriving for the kids over 1 and a half hours on 4 occasions), that the adults were basically left with the scraps of the buffet - we even resorted to eating bread only on one night.

There is a distint lack of atmosphere on an evening. Restaurants did have live bands, playing whilst you ate. But beyond that, nothing. There was simply nothing to do after the meal. The Jacaranda Bar is adults only after 9 pm, and during our stay they had a DJ on from Thursdays to Saturdays only - that started at 9 pm. I am not bothered about 'in your face' entertainment every night, but I would expect some choice. CoCos was an ideal location and size for somewhere to have a bit of atmosphere, but was completely wasted. So if you have kids, and want a drink past 9 o clock you have to sit in the lobby.

It is the first time as a family we have been to the Caribean, but the seventh time we have done All Inclusive. St James was better than some, but considering the cost of the holiday was worse than most. I felt very short changed, and disppointed. A stated it was just the culmination of several things that left us feeling disappointed.

I would not visit St James Club again, largely because I do not consider it worth the money based on our experience. It is advertised and sold as a family friendly resort, but it was not that at all.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

A visit to St. James beach club in Antigua was unbelievable! From the time we landed on this beautiful island we were treated like royalty. We were upgraded to a villa, and enjoyed all of the amenities within our all-inclusive package from excellent meals, entertainment and unlimited beverages, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Loved the rum punches and piña coladas! We met many new friends and went on terrific excursions to Barbuda, did zip lining and went swimming with the Sting Rays...amazing! I will plan to return in the near future.

Room Tip: The beachfront rooms are closer to the main building and restaurants but the scene of the bay and th...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to St. James's Club? Share your experiences!