We stayed at the St. James club for my honey’s 60th birthday. The facilities and accommodations at St James are excellent. Lots of wonderful beachfront to frolic along. A windy, cooler Atlantic beach and a warm, calm bay side for children and leisurely play. Visibility is very poor and there is a lot of grass so snorkeling is poor. Nicely air conditioned lounge with movie theatre if you couldn’t stand the heat. The buffets were small, but had enough variety to satisfy us both. The resort felt huge, but was efficiently laid out. Tiny gift shop on site, so be sure to bring your toiletries from home. They do sell food at their gift shop, but it’s all inclusive so unless you’re SUPER picky, no need to pack food. We stayed in a Royal Suite and loved the fact there were private pool areas for adults and Royal Suite guests. It was low season so it wasn’t overly crowded, which was nice also. The food off the a-la-carte menus was hit and miss as was the wait staff. When I asked what was in a certain drink, the server just looked at me blankly and said “rum and I don’t know”. LOL. Didn’t even offer to find out either. (This happened a couple of times!). No problem. If you don’t like the drink, just ask for something else. That’s the beauty of an AI resort. Then there were staff who were so cheerful and pleasant. Our beach golf cart server (yes, they bring a drink to you!), Hyacinth at the Rainbow, the front desk staff, and many more. Coco’s Restaurant was perfect for lunch. Their Greek salad was delicious and they made a mean Marguerita!! Unfortunately our last dinner at the Docksider a-la-carte was only good for a laugh. The servers got our entire order wrong, and forgot our friend’s order altogether, then no one came back to take my dessert order. Oh well, guess I didn’t need dessert after all.
Pros: towels are abundant and easy to get; beach and pool chairs are abundant and easy to get; small, private pools scattered around the resort; menus for each restaurant are posted the day of and day before so you can choose wisely; a-la-cartes are easy to book; Royal Suites were a treat with a beautiful sitting area, but I don’t think you could go wrong with any of their rooms. The gym was small, but had quite a few treadmills and was always full the mornings I was there (gym = more beer!). The Rainbow breakfast buffet had an excellent omelette station with minimal to no wait time. Something for everyone at this resort, even afternoon tea service!
Cons: service at the Docksider left much to be desired, but it’s a beautiful location; downtown St John is tiny and there isn’t much to see unless you like duty free shopping at the cruise ship quay. The $10 dollar store was a disappointment!
Recommendation: since there isn’t a lot to do on the island, the catamaran circumnavigation day trip is nice to break up your lazy week. One caveat, we’ve seen way better snorkeling elsewhere so don’t go for that. Just go knowing you get great views of Antigua’s four coasts and get to see some pretty harbours up close and personal. Take a LOT of sunscreen though and drink a lot of water. Meet new people and have fun. If you’re prone to sea sickness, take some medication or wear motion bracelets. We had a few folks who couldn’t hold it in during our journey. Not pretty!
As mentioned, we had a wonderful time at St. James. Water sports were abundant and as mentioned, most staff were friendly. Do take bug repellent if you’re attractive to mosquitos. They are small, fast and painful! This is a great little island for R&R which we were in desparate need of. Will we return to Antigua? Probably not, but just because we like exploring new locations. Should you go? Yes, if you get a good deal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the All-Inclusive St. James's Club & Villas, Antigua's most famous address. This beautiful resort is ideally located on a private, 100-acre peninsula. You will love our two white sand beaches, water sports, tennis, four restaurants, indoor and outdoor bars, beach bar & grill, luxurious spa & salon, freshwater swimming pools, supervised Kids Club, wide array of water sports, Scuba diving, and so much more. One of the Caribbean's most popular all-inclusive resorts. Excellent for couples, honeymooners, families, and friends. Located just minutes from major attractions like English Harbour, Nelson's Dockyard, and the lively Shirley Heights. Our warm and welcoming staff and management team will make your stay wonderful and memorable. See your favorite travel agent or contact Elite Island Resorts to book your stay. We look forward to seeing you soon! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your St. James's Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- St. James`s Club Hotel Mamora Bay
- St James Club Antigua
- St Jamess Hotel
- St Jamess Resort
- St James Antigua
- St Jamess Club Antigua
- St. James's Club Antigua/Mamora Bay