“A night to remember but not for the right reasons” 2 of 5 stars

Mackworth Hotel
60 Ashbourne Rd, Mackworth, Derby DE22 4LY, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mackworth
derbyshire
“A night to remember but not for the right reasons”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

We booked a table for six to celebrate dad's 90th birthday and my husband and I to stay the night. The fun began late afternoon when we booked in and we had no electricity in our room Gareth sorted that for us very quickly.
The rest of our party arrived we had a drink then went into the dining room for our celebration meal. We placed our orders and waited for our food to arrive one hour later we were still waiting we had to change our orders twice as they had ran out of serloin steak and the mixed grill. The prawn cocktail arrived with a pool of water at the bottom...By then we were getting very annoyed as my poor 90 year old dad was really hungry and it was nearly ten a clock The main meal arrived 20 minutes later some of it cold and by then we were beyond hunger I am diabetic and ended up feeling very ill . Why may I ask did it take 3 hours to feed 6 people and to add insult to injury a table of eight had there meal served to them before us and they came in half an hour later.
We all left most of our meal as it was of quite a poor standard the fun however did not end there oh no w awoke to the electric off once again so we had to shower in a bathroom with no light. What a stay certainly one not to forget and such a let down for our 90 year old dad.
I would however like to add that Gareth the manager did try to put matters right by saying how sorry he was and gave us drinks etc so my thanks do go to him but it still cannot bring back a totally ruined evening.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
General M, General Manager at Mackworth Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
I would like to take this time to thank you for the feedback on my hotel as every comment I read is taken on board.

I have spoken to the management team to resolve these issues that happened on the day.

We can only apologise for the standard and quality of service you had on the night as its below our expected high standards that we have.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

We have visited the Restaurant at Mackworth Hotel for Sunday and mid week Carvery which I can report is simply amazing. Freshly cooked food with good chose of Vegetables. The food is good value for money. The staff are very friendly and the hotel caters for large function such as wedding, business meeting and any function you may require. Would highly recommended the Mackworth Hotel restaurant for good food.

Room Tip: Not used the hotel for rooms..
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
I would like to say a massive Thank you for such great comments and also taking the time to write us a comment.

I have passed your comments onto my staff and they are looking forward in seeing you both again soon.

south shields
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel while visiting my brother. The staff were very friendly and great with my 2 year old son. Every member of staff spoke to him making us feel very welcome. Food and service were great. Bedroom comfortable ( we had a family room on top floor) Will definitely be staying here on my next visit to Derby.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Please allow me to say Thank you for the nice comments that you have left on here.

We hope to see you all again on your next visit and also to see the changes in your little boy as he grows up so quickly.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Delivering a 3 day course here, TV / screen & flip chart even free use of a projector & free wifi, helpful team that can not do enough for you & happy to work round my timings, very refreshing, it normally a battle. Bedroom clean and functional. Food great value. Will be back, maybe even for one of your tribute nights!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Firstly I would like to say that we try to offer the same service for every course and I thank you for the great comments.

All our buffets are prepared fresh in the hotel and this allows us to be a little flexable on times.

I hope to see you more in 2014.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

Last night was my tenth visit to The Mackworth Hotel to eat their carvery. I like to eat out a lot and can say in all honesty that the carvery that they put on is the best I've ate for many, many years. I can say I have been everywhere to eat and none of those other places come close to this place.
Please try their beef, I tell you no word of a lie, it is the best ever.
10/10 to the head chef! If that chef ever left, it would be their downfall!
The only downside is that they don't serve the beer I like, one cant have everything I suppose.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for the great comments.

I've also mentioned to my head chef that she can't leave ever!!

Please take a look at our range of beers that we do as a company and if we do one you like we could always try to get that one in for you.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The best Carvery in Derby. Never had anything but excellent food and service here. Lovely surroundings, very scenic. Nice friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Also very warm and welcoming towards children

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
I would like to thank you for the great comments and I have passed them onto my staff.

We hope to see you again soon.

Derby
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My wife and I called last Sunday after-noon about 4.00pm with the intention of enquiring about a large group booking for a Christmas party. The restaurant was about half full so we asked for a table. A very helpful man who appeared to be in charge showed us to a table and told us some-one would come and take our order. We sat - and waited - and waited. A waitress came to the table next to ours and took their order. I raised my hand to attract attention. Nothing ! The man in charge hovered around the room directing other customers. I tried again. No response. The waitress with the black hair appeared with a bottle of cleaning fluid and a cloth and cleaned the table next but one to ours. "Excuse me", I said, twice. She walked away completely oblivious. I would have liked her to notice me because she could have cleaned the table that we were sitting at as it was just filthy.
I looked around only to see two other waitresses standing by the till deep in their own conversation, occasionally being joined by the man in charge. That went on for far too long. Other people arrived and took up tables marked "Reserved", only to attract the attention of the staff within sixty seconds. My wife and I had become invisible. I looked at my watch. 28 minutes had passed since we had been shown to a table and in all that time we had received - NOTHING. No service, no food and no drinks. Had they been busy I could have under-stood it, but they weren't. It was simply bad service. We left - and not a single member of staff spoke to us on the way to the door.
I would add that locally the Sunday Carvery enjoys a fair reputation. I am unable to offer any opinion on it because I didn't get to sample any of it. As for the Mackworth Hotel, the décor, fixtures and fittings are very tired and worn out. My overall impression is that this place needs a refurbishment. And unsurprisingly we will not be enquiring further about a group booking for Christmas.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Firstly I would like to thank you for giving us feedback on your visit.

After a full investigation as to how this could have happened I can only apologise for the lack of service you had on the day.

We have used your comments in a training day that we have had for the staff to ensure nothing like this ever happens again.

Please contact myself direct at the hotel so that I can reasure you of this.

Many Thanks

Travelers are raving about these Mackworth hotels

Been to Mackworth Hotel? Share your experiences!