“In desparate need of a makeover” 1 of 5 stars

Mackworth Hotel
60 Ashbourne Rd, Mackworth, Derby DE22 4LY, England   |
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Mackworth
Ancient Kingdom of Wessex
“In desparate need of a makeover”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

My partner and I spent 3 nights here whilst attending a wedding in the area. The rooms that front the road should not be used for bedrooms due to the constant stream of traffic all night, the net curtains were filthy and the toilets in the bar area were not very clean either. No one seems to do any routine maintenance, or brush up the cigarette ends outside. The outside seating and tables had not been cleaned or re-varnished since they were new and what could be a lovely garden at the back needs safe steps down to it, I'm surprised no-one has sued them yet. Also the septic tank was far too close to the public area with no fence around it or warning notices. Only saving grace was the basic but good food apart from what should have been pork and herb sausage's for breakfast but which looked suspiciously like the cheap ones that fish and chip shops serve!

Marston's directors should hang their heads in shame, and stay there a night incognito to experience it for themselves

Whoever gave it 5 stars doesn't get out much!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Derby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I visit here every christmas, not by choice. I go here with my family for a christmas meal and it seems to get worse every year.

The tables are cramped, waiters are young, unexperienced and unprofessional.
The food is OK if you like hard potatoes and brown broccoli - Carvery.

After we have our meal, we normally go to the bar area to have coffee etc.... the seating is now very limited and tea and coffee is very poor and cheap.

I have not had the experience of staying in the hotel facilities, so I will also rate these as poor.

Must change.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Mackworth hotels

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

We stayed here as a family of 2 adults and 4 children in July for one night in 2 family rooms. The cost was £90 for both rooms, so i was expecting a B&B type of accommodation. However once in the rooms they were of a lovely standard with new towels and bed linen. Plenty of tea and coffee and bottled water for the kids too.
We stayed in rooms 3 and 4 which were up their own staircase on a private landing, giving the already spacious rooms an apartment like feel.
A really good effort had been made with the decor although as with very old buildings, the finish is never perfect so please don't expect totally immaculate.
We were over the moon with our stay here and as Alton Towers is only 30 mins away we will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: For a party needing 2 rooms, ask for room numbers 3 and 4
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
North Wales UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

This is the third time I have stayed at the Mackworth and it is still a very good price and the staff are still the heart and soul of the place. Sadly the premises seem to have gone downhill in the last year, generally a bit shabby and unloved, not as clean as I remember with loads of general maintenance jobs needing doing. The biggest problem is the room locks, none of the keys seem to work properly which means you spend ages trying to open your room door before having to go and ask for a masterkey to gain access - this is not an expensive job so get it sorted!

I still really like the individuality of this place but I would think twice about rebooking here until they have done some much needed work.

Room Tip: Don't book room No2 as small, badly lit and lots of night time noise from the road, ask for a ro...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Wem, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stayed here as we were attending a wedding. My husband and I shared a family room with our 9 year old and my eldest son had a double room. The rooms were ok although the bed we slept in wasnt the comfiest:(, the main road was annoying all night too!! Food was great value and service was good. The room attendant was lovely and replenished our room and made the beds etc (cant get that service at home). The hotel is tired looking and could do with some jobs doing here and there. The dryer in the ladies didnt work and the decor needs some attention. The wedding went ok, the weather was beautiful and out the back by the function suite the garden was a bonus - however the grass hadnt been cut and it was damp underfoot, due to the length of the grass. The outside needs a bit of a facelift and the doors from the function room were not allowed to be opened onto the patio??? so we had to go out another way. Food was fine, however -- there wasnt enough starters for my son to have the one he liked:( which i thought was quite poor, also no ice cream alternative for the desert options - which i find difficult to understand as it serves food all day!!!, and no coffee and mints!!! The beer was over £3 a pint - but we signed up on the marstons website and got a free drinks voucher (so that saved us a little:)) The best thing about the room was the shower - it was great, hot and strong water flow, it was a shame when i had to get out and the dove shower/handwash/shampoo was a good touch. If you are going to stay here ask for a large room as some of them are quite small as my parents found out!! Breakfast was fine, good choice of buffet style and full english etc with tea or coffee, although the girl forgot our toast on day 2. It wasnt a bad stay and I think a good time was had by all at the wedding.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a large room, ideally overlooking the garden or back as the main road noise ca...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Kiev, Ukraine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I stayed here for one night, the Hotel is fine. I was advised when I checked in that breakfast was between 8 and 10, so I went down @ 915 which seems reasonable.

Only to be told they had stopped serving breakfast! He just shrugged his shoulders and said 'sorry'! Didn't even offer me a slice of toast!!

Needless to say I won't be coming back - I spend over 2 months a year in Hotels, one of the worst displays of Customer Service I have seen.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We just spent one night in this hotel as we were attending a family party near by.
Was surprised at how large this hotel and its grounds were.
We were given room No 2 when we arrived but wasn't happy with the size of the room and the darkness of this room so asked to be moved which the staff done without any problem.
Nice soft white bath towels.
The breakfast was very good and very hot!
We also had a meal at lunch time and found this to be reasonable and a good choose.
Only one real moan and that the lighting was very poor, and no lamp on dressing table next to the mirror.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mackworth Hotel? Share your experiences!