“beautiful park” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 9 Attractions in Salento
Type: National Parks, Outdoors
More attraction details
Owner description: El hermoso paisaje que combina el canto de las aves, la vegetacion exuberante y los caminos de herradura, ofrece a los visitantes el mas maravilloso intercambio con la naturaleza a 2.450 Metros de altura sobre el nivel del mar. El sitio esta ubicado en el Km 11 via Valle del Cocora saliendo del Municipio de Salento y desde la ciudad de Armenia se llega en 30 minutos. El plato representativo de la region es la trucha, dentro de las sugerencias del chef, tenemos nuestra afamada y deliciosa Trucha Mar Adentro, como plato de frutos del mar nuestra Cazuela de Mariscos y como plato innovador nuestro cochinillo a la Cocora.
Arizona
13 attraction reviews
“beautiful park”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

One of the highlights of my time in Salento. Beautiful place. I opted to take the guided horse ride up to the top of the trail rather than walk and the price seemed more than fair. There was a guide who ran ON FOOT along with us. He was great. When the ride was all done and I was still alive and intact I could rate it the experience as fun. However, there were moments of mild terror on my part as the trail goes up and down once you hit the jungle portion, the stream, unsteady footing for the the horses in parts. I think it is probably only appropriate for those with more comfortable on a horse, not someone like me who hasn't been on a horse in many years. The guide spoke only Spanish and there were no instructions at the start on the basics of guiding the horse from the saddle.

Visited June 2013

Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 attraction reviews
“Best Place to go in the coffee region”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I am from Colombia and my fiancee researched this place and I am glad she did. We got to Salento early around 7:30 in the morning and I highly recommend that because it gets really crowded. From Salento we went to the Cocora Valley, beautiful scenery. At the Cocora Valley we got some horses to go Horse Back riding. The climb to the summit with the horse is about 2 hours and it is totally worth it. If takes longer if you hike and it is really muddy because of the rain, I highly recommend to get the horses. enjoy you are going to like it.

World Traveler
30 attraction reviews
“Just a so-so hike; mind the electrified wires”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

I hiked a couple hours into the Cocora Valley after taking the 30-minute jeep ride from Salento to the trail head. The trail was not much to speak of, rocky, rutted, and covered with horse dung. It had rained much the week before, and much of the trail was covered with mud and water with sections of it impassable. For long stretches initially, both sides of the trail have a barbed wire fence running alongside to keep the cows in the pasture. But because of the impassable mud on the trail, many of us had to leave the trail and crawl under the barbed wire and negotiate the muddy pasture and barbed wire the best we could to continue moving forward. I got hung up once on the barbed wire and was zapped strongly by an electrified wire once. The electrified wire is not labeled, something that would have helped this city boy.

The trail is also home to many horses that carry horse riders about 90 minutes up the trail and 90 minutes back down it. At least 100 horses passed me in the two hours I hiked, in groups of 2-8, sometimes carrying children that looked to be 6 years old. The horses do not trot or canter, they just walk slowly, slowing down the hikers' progress since the trail is so narrow that hikers have to step aside and wait for the horses to pass. And you can imagine the volume of horse excrement on a trail so heavily horse traveled. I have hiked better trails. This was not one of them.

Villavicencio, Colombia
26 attraction reviews
“BEAUTIFUL!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Palm trees and mountains were meant for each other. I love the mountains and always think of the beach when I see palm trees but this place is beautiful and a combination of the two. We drove 15 minutes from Salento top the main parking area ($3000 pesos for parking) and then started to do a short hike just to get a closer look at the palms. We stopped to talk to a gentleman renting horses and the price seemed too reasonable to turn down. We ended up with 2 horses for a nice 30 minute ride back to a small but scenic river crossing and back, The total for 3 of us on 2 horses for 30 minutes was only $18000 pesos and we covered much more ground than we would have walking. The views of the mountains and palms was amazing. The clouds hanging low in the valley added to the natural beauty of the area. It was a little cold and we were told that is pretty much the weather year round, so plan accordingly. Its definitely worth the trip from Salento and if you have more time I heard the long hike is even more beautiful. There are lots of food and beverage vendors at the main parking area and you can also buy lots of souvenirs there as well.

Peach Bottom,Pa
“The main reason to come to Salento”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

After hanging onto the back of an overloaded Willys Jeep for the ride to Cocora Valley the hike through the waxpalmforest was absolutely fantastic. It was a beautiful day and the hike was wonderful. Part of it was pretty grueling uphill but worth the effort. We are 53 and 60 year olds and we made it with no problem. We took food but couldn't eat, but take plenty of water. The trip to the ranger station wasn't really worth the time or extra money but you can make up your own mind on that. The actual hike is free but the taxi cost around $1.75US each way and the ranger station was $2.00US but you get a drink for the fee and the money goes to maintenance of the bridges. This hike is the highlight of Salento and well worth the effort.

Visited June 2013