“Convienient and Clean” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport

You added Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Thremhall Ave | London Stansted Airport, Stansted Mountfitchet CM24 1PY, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Dublin, Ireland
“Convienient and Clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013

Very handy hotel. close to the airport with a handy shuttle bus to and from the terminal. Room was clean and had enough essentials!
Food not great beer was a little flat. but for convenience and handiness good spot.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback.

I am pleased to see that the hotel met the majority of your expectations and I apologise that the food and drink did not meet the same expectations and I will certainly look into what can be done to improve this.

Kind Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We booked two nights at this HIE, one for the night before our flight out to Milan and one for the night we flew back into the UK. Each night you stay with a car there is a car parking fee of £8 per night, which isn't cheap but I guess is standard for an airport hotel. There is also a shuttle bus rather than an courtesy coach from the airport to the hotel, but this is at a cost of £3 on top of anything you have already paid to stay. This hotel is perfectly placed for the medium stay car park at Stanstead.

Our first night was in a members room and everything was perfect, so much better than I had expected. Clean room, large comfortable bed and an excellent nights sleep. I didn't get to try breakfast on this stay as I had an early flight.

We arrived back just after midnight and had a standard room allocated on this occasion. The room was nowhere near as good as the first with stained grouting in the tiles by the toilet and missing security lock for the door (which meant that housekeeping came into the room just after 7am whilst we were still sleeping). The receptionist was very apologetic and asked if we had reported this the night before, but at 12:30am I just wanted to sleep! The room was otherwise clean and the bed comfortable. The heating system for the room was incredibly loud and the noise was akin to sleeping in a wind tunnel, which didn't make for a great nights sleep.

Breakfast is included in the price, and included a variety of hot and cold buffet. The supervisor was running around like a headless chicken but the service was still rather chaotic with no plates or mugs at times and uncleared tables. The food on offer was reasonable, but the scrambled eggs were one lump or two.

The staff were generally very friendly, and a real selling point of the hotel. Would use again when flying from Stanstead, but I would make sure I got a members room for my next stay.

Room Tip: Get a members room if signed out to the loyalty programme.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Thank you for providing us with such an in-depth review of our hotel and its facilities.

Due to being an airport hotel there is a charge for keeping cars on site, but we try to ensure that guests are aware of this before they travel and always aim to stay competitive within the market. We always try to ensure that our members get the right rooms, during busy periods other rooms may be used but these have all recently been freshly painted, have new TV's and free WIFI. I would like to offer my personal apology that your stay was disrupted by our housekeeping team. I will certainly be looking into this matter to ensure that it does not happen again.

I am extremely pleased to see that you found our team to be friendly. Again, I thank you for your feedback as it allows us to grow and improve on the service we provide.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

LOCATION & ATTRACTIONS NEARBY *** HIE is located approx. 2 km from the STN terminal. There is a shuttle bus, but they charge you (in cash) 3 GBP for it. I have seen really angry passengers because of that and it's hard to disagree with this... This should be included in the room price (which is not like really really low). This only annoys guests at the very beginning of their stay. On the way back you can ask to add it into the invoice and pay at reception, but it looks this is quite a big job and they are not too happy to do so... If you don't have 3 GBP (per person) in cash, sorry - you have to walk there. If there are 4 of you, it's cheaper to get a cab.

HOTEL OVERVIEW *** This is one busy airport hotel. Quite basic, created to be quick, efficient, but also quite comfortable with the benefits mentioned earlier. Don't expect too much.

PURPOSE OF THIS TRIP *** Business - stopover.

RESERVATION *** Reservation was easy and quick on IHG website via my IHG Rewards profile. Few easy steps and we're done. I love their system.

CHECK-IN *** I was able to use dedicated check-in for Platinum IHG Rewards guests (I skipped few other people because of this benefit). My room's keycard was already prepared as well as complimentary Internet access and also two coupons for "drink and snack" in the hotel's bar (this is their welcome gift for higher lever loyalty card holders) - perfect.

LOBBY & RECEPTION *** It is quite spacious, but always busy. Reception is connected with a bar and all lobby is somehow connected with a breakfast room (sometimes partially converted into conference room) - I know, it sounds complicated. There are few wending machines and ITM (additional charges apply). It is standard, but it was all kept in a good condition and it was clean.

ROOM *** I have booked "1 Double bed with sofa bed non-smoking" room and this was allocated to me (#326). Room seems to be new, fresh and what's the most important - clean. It is standardised HIE look, so it looks the same as any other HIE. It is fine for quick overnight stay. Wake-up call can be set up on your TV.

BATHROOM *** Small bathroom with "smart" door dividing it from the toilet was again enough. Basic toiletries (Dove soap and all body gel-shampoo) and fresh towels are provided.

BREAKFAST *** Buffet breakfast is complimentary for all guests. It's nothing fancy, but that's enough what you need for an early start (I think they start at 6 am).

INTERNET ACCESS *** It was complimentary for IHG Rewards card member. It wasn't complicated to connect and connection was constant. Well done for a busy hotel.

CHECK-OUT EXPERIENCE *** After breakfast I was able to check-out quickly. My invoice was accurate and also points and miles were correctly accumulated on my account within next few days.

STAFF *** Despite having different clients and very busy days, all of them (reception and bar) maintain full professionalism. They were able to assist all guests in very efficient manner and for me personally I was very happy with it. My IHG status was recognized (as per their policy anyway). Thank you & well done!

OVERVIEW *** This is "quick, express" hotel for short stays. Do not expect too much, because it will not be delivered (simply because it's not offered). They can provide you what they have in the hotel description. But if the price is right, it's worth staying here. Only this 'shuttle bus charge' is very annoying. :)

Room Tip: Rooms with sofa cost the same, but they are slightly bigger and more comfortable.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for providing a broad review of our hotel.

I am extreamly pleased to hear all the positive comments you have raised and I thank you for raising some areas where improvements can be made. We now offer Free WIFI to all our guests, have new TV's with over 80 free-view channels and have recently opened a gym facility.

Whilst I appreciate all the comments that are raised in relation to the shuttle bus. This is a third party operated bus and therefore charges apply. The bus is charges at £3 per adult but under 16 can travel for free. This bus operates regularly from 4 in the morning every half an hour throughout the day. As a hotel we always aim to provide the most accurate travel information to our guests. For parties with more than 2 adults a Taxi would work out cheaper and our reception team are happy too advise on an individual basis. For guests travelling without cash tickets can be paid for by card at the reception. Reception are happy to assist you with this.

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Tallinn, Estonia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Our flight arrived around midnight and for next mornings early start towards Manchester it was good option. And reasonable price. Free wifi internet though a bit slow. Breakfast was nothing special but OK.

Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Martin B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am really happy to see that our hotel met your travel needs and expectations. The WIFI is new so I hope the speed of it is something we can improve on and I thank you for raising this to my attention.

Kotka, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013 via mobile

Cozy rooms, clear. Breakfast starts at 5 am, free coffee and chocolate all the night. Airport shuttle avery 30 min. from the door and after 15 min. from nearest hotel (purple =)) if you lost yours. It's for £3. You can book a taxi for £6, but do it morning before. MacDonald's and Gas station near by too.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for your excellent review of our hotel. The continental breakfast starts from 4 am with a selection of hot items coming out at 6am-10am.

I am really pleased to see that the hotel met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel last weekend to catch an early flight from Stansted. The shuttle bus is very convenient, it's only 5 minutes ride from the airport. Hotel simple, but rooms clean and tea/coffee facilities in room as well. Continental breakfast was provided at 4am which was useful. The only minor minus was my bed. The mattress was very soft and when I tried to watch TV in bed, the bed was on wheels and was moving from the wall. Other than that a pleasant and convenient hotel and much cheaper than Radisson at Stansted.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your positive review of our hotel. I sorry to hear that the mattress was not to your liking and moved around. I will Certainly look into whether this is something we can improve.

Náxos, Kikladhes, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My title says most of it. I was very happy with almost everything and if the wi-fi had been working and the breakfast sausages less revolting I would have rated my stay here as excellent. I didn´t choose to eat in the restaurant because I thought the prices far too high.
I can´t commend the staff enough, and I wouldn´t hesitate to stay here again or recommend the hotel to friends.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your positive feedback of the hotel and of the team. I apologise that during your stay the WIFI was down, which was caused during the implementation of WIFI throughout the hotel. I am now very happy to be able to say that this has now been completed and I hope you will choose to come and take advantage of this in the future.

I will certainly take on board your feedback on the restaurant and breakfast and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Kind Regards

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stansted Airport? Share your experiences!