“Outstanding food let down a little by the service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Linden House

You added Linden House to your Saves list
Linden House
5.0 of 5 Inn   |   1-3 Silver Street, Stansted Mountfitchet CM24 8HA , England   |
London, United Kingdom
“Outstanding food let down a little by the service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We ate here as part of a group of 9 for a celebratory lunch. The food was outstanding and certainly a cut above anything else locally, the service was slow but as we do not get together often so this was not an issue until one of the main courses was not brought out with the others and there was a gap of over 5 minutes and some sharp words before it was rectified. To be fair to the staff they accepted the failing, did not quibble about the suggested recompense for this and thereafter the service improved substantially. The deserts menu was to die for and they have an option of a taster portion of every one of the deserts for sharing for double the price of a single desert, much to the interest of the children this includes a crème soda which is carbonated at the table. This is the best desert I have had in this country bar none and is worth going for this alone. I will put the service down to a “blip” and it was well recovered so don’t let this put you off.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
SFos11, General Manager at Linden House, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Many thanks for your review. I'm really pleased to hear that you enjoyed your food and the quirky dessert.

We do apologise for the less than perfect service you experienced on Saturday. Our customers generally enjoy exemplary levels of service but unfortunately on this occasion, an unexpectedly busy lunch and staff shortages resulted in a slow service.

We sincerely hope to see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed one night, in room 3 , the huge roll top bath was just the ticket after along drive though bank holiday traffic. They don't normally do room service, but I asked, & they did, very helpful , particularly because I was knackered & traveling with a baby in tow. My stress levels were through the roof trying to find the place through, & I did get a little arsey on the phone when I couldn't get some clear directions, confusion over the fact there are two pubs nearby with the same name, but all was forgotten on arrival. After running a huge bath ( great free bubbles & shampoo etc), I had a g & t in hand, was floating, literally, in the huge bath, watching corrie...all my stresses a distance memory! Lots of lovely fluffy towels, & dressing gowns. Lots of luxury freebies, great tea, hot choc, free water & even fresh milk in the nearby fridge. Exceeded my expectation totally. I have paid four times the amount of this place in central London for practically the same luxury touches.

Food was amazing too, worth the moolar. I can recommend the potted scrimps & steak. They even put together a risotto for the baba! Thank you.

I must also say how helpful all the staff are here. From booking the hotel with Chris, the chap couldn't do enough to help me as I had a complicated weekend to plan prior to flying from stanstead. This guy knows his stuff, & ever found me a hotel to leave my car for the week I was abroad, as they don't have parking here. Just a shame I could have stayed 2 nights here, & left my car somewhere too.

The staff helped me with me luggage from the car, & the chef even made a special visit a breakfast, all staff very helpful. Breakfast was lovely, waitress couldn't do enough to help me & my messy baby!

Would I stop again, yes 100%! Other hotels need to look, admire & learn to the attention to detail at this place. It should be standard practice , but so often isn't in this industry.....total value for money too, really considering the other faulty tower experiences I have paid for in the past! Particularly the night after...see next review from me, complete opposite experience!

My only one negative was the busy, noisy road! Not a lot can be down about that, particularly, as it was a hot night, & I wanted the window open.

Well done Linden house, 5 gold stars here! Don't change a thing guys....you are sexy & you know it!!!

Room Tip: 3⃣ Was huge & had the massive bath! 🎉But next to the road 😱. But still prefect, & surprisi...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SFos11, Owner at Linden House, responded to this review, September 12, 2013
Dear Emma B

Thanks so much for the glowing review. The entire team works really hard to exceed our guests' expectations and it's so rewarding when we get such great feedback. We sincerely hope to see you again soon.

Slightly confused about the two pubs nearby with the same name ... as far as I know, the nearest Linden House is in central London!
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have reviewed this hotel before, it keeps getting better. I booked a standard room for 2 nights, my birthday. The room was upgraded to a superior room upon arrival, the room I booked was great, this was better. The staff are genuinely excellent and really do care, nothing is too much trouble, my partner lost a valuable bracelet and was quite upset, she reported it to a member of staff, the bracelet was found and returned. The food is excellent, chateaubriand for to, beautiful and value for money, the breakfasts are fantastic. A 5 minute walk to a mainline railway station, Liverpool street 45 minutes away, £3.00 parking all day. Stanstead Mountfitchet is lovely. All in all, the best place to stay when visiting London. (IMHO)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Harlow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

A delight sitting on the terrace - a warm evening - nice bottle of LPR - GREAT !!!...
slowish service BUT we were outside - so ill give em that one !!!

Excellent food... apart from the smallest steak in the world !!! The boss said her "Ray" was amazing - she is not easily pleased !!!

I dont feel like i can jump up and down - run around singing its praises,.. and im not sure why because it was good - very good !!! BUT NOT "anything to write home about" - so this will be a short review..

Food excellent - although my fillet steak was the smallest in the world !!!
Service very good - BUT a little slow
GREAT price !

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed at Linden House a couple of weeks ago and were so impressed we returned again this week!
From the moment you walk in the staff are friendly and very attentive.
We booked through Laterooms on both occasions and were very happy with the price we paid given that the hotel is a well earned 5* establishment.
The rooms are beautifully designed and bathrooms lovely, with fluffy towels and dressing gowns.
Everywhere is scrupulously clean.
The food in the restaurant is well presented and cooked to perfection.
Having read other reviews, we could not understand the moans and groans about the parking situation. The car park is just across a road and is free between 6pm and 8am. Even then the parking fees are low. Goodness if you can afford to stay in a hotel of this calibre why complain!
We have no hesitation in recommending Linden House and will return again very soon.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Never written review before but compelled to today....Lovely venue (no onsite parking)but don't waste time or money on celebration afternoon tea.... went for friend's 50th....Lovely clotted cream and jam to apply to 1inch scone!!!! Whole theme of afternoon tea is a scone... Very disappointing ... Head elsewhere ....

• Stayed July 2013
Rustington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Lovely hotel. Clean, stylish, helpful friendly staff, good food, nice decor. Will stay again. Highly recommended. Bathroom beautiful with double sinks. Bed was extremely comfortable with lovely fluffy pillows. Noisy road but did not seem to matter. Everything finished to a high standard.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business

Been to Linden House? Share your experiences!