“It's gone down hill” 1 of 5 stars
Review of the royal george

the royal george
Dining options: Reservations
Horsham, Uk
“It's gone down hill”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We have been to this restaurant many times over the passed few years but a visit today was a big disappointment.

After waiting some time a scruffy old lady finally finally severed us, the meats were all very dry and the vegetables looked like they were yesterday's left overs and barely warm.

In the past we would have difficulty finding a table during the lunch period but today there were only three tables in use. They have stopped the device were you could order in the restaurant to ensure you pay upstairs at the bar before seeing the state of the food.

I suspect there are new managers there and if so, in the words of Peter Cook and Dudley Moore " is this any way to run a restaurant ?

Sorry but the crown carvers at Saltdean I'd much better!

• Visited October 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Sussex uk
“Dissapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

I treat my Mum to a meal tonight, Friday14th September, 2012 to be very disappointed by the attitude of the so called chef, who could NOT carve meat to save his life. I asked for gammon and turkey. When he started cutting a small lump of turkey, I said that is dry, he totally ignored me and carried on. When he gave me my plate I looked at the turkey and said I dont want that its dry, he took my plate back and said do you want some more, with that I replied take that off my plate I dont want that and very reluctantly he cut me some more off the main piece. I then moved along to the vegetables and the stuffing was dry and like pieces of biscuits, the roast potatoes where over cooked and to top it all it was only just warm.

I have been there on various occasions as it is local to where I live but it will b a long time before I go there again

• Visited September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“bad food”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

i went to the royal george with my children and partner we had to wait 20mins to be seated, the portion of meat you are given is a joke and very fatty or burnt the veg was clearly frozen and not cooked properly very hard carrots, the roast potatoes were a soggy mess even the gravy was horrible and lumpy, the food is of very bad quality and i will not go there again it was a waste of money i was very disapointed.the ice cream there was horrible aswell by the time it hit your bowl it was melted there was no staff in sight no one approached us once i had to go find a member of staff which seemed very rude and not intrested in the slightest i do not recomend this place at all, maybe quite cheap but defo not cheerfull

• Visited September 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Southern England
“Meals here are usually good value”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

We have been going to the Royal George every couple of weeks for the last three or four years ....maybe a little longer. In general, we've found the meals to be very good value. Crown Carvery is in the same ownership as Toby Carvery, but the meals are cheaper. A carvery or pie meal at the Royal George is currently £3.99, and at the Downlands Toby it's about £5.45.

We, like your other contributer, have noticed that the Royal George doesn't seem to be so busy these days. Today, when we visited at about 11.45am, there were two other couples eating. By the time we left, a further ten diners had arrived.

We paid for our meals at the bar (you pay in advance here and are given a ticket to pass to the carver) because there was no member of staff to be seen in the restaurant area. Eventually, a young male "waiter" appeared, but during the time we were in the restaurant, he did not approach us at all - either to ask if we were enjoying the meal or whether we wanted a dessert. He just seemed to be wandering around. We hadn't seen him when we've visited before, so guess he was new, or at least new to that shift. Usually, we see a more mature lady, who's always bright and breezy. She always looks into the kitchen and calls a carver if she sees somebody waiting. However, today, one man stood at the carvery for several minutes before the waiter wandered across and asked for the man to be served.

Having said that, our food was good and hot. We had chicken and mushroom pie with cauliflower, carrots, roast potatoes, gravy and a Yorkshire pudding. There were three meats available - turkey, beef and gammon. We prefer the beef at the Royal George to that at the Toby, because it's less fatty, but that's just personal choice. There were also peas, leeks, swede and mashed potato in addition to the vegetables we actually had. There have been times when the food hasn't been so hot, or the meal has been disappointing, but this hasn't often happened.

We understand there have been several changes of management in the last couple of years. There is usually only one waitress on duty when we visit, but if we've been a little later there has been two. The prices are probably kept low because the restaurant employs fewer staff and the decor and furniture isn't so up to date as that at Toby Carveries.

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Cheap but not so cheerful”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have,over the years been staunch supporters of our local Crown Carvery at the George but sad to say the management now seem to have stooped to trying to sell meals by the lowest price possible method.
They have forgotten the most important part of going out to eat,whatever the price it MUST be at least pleasant to eat.
We have seen this restaurant/pub slowly going down in quality over the last few years,but it has now gone as far down the scale as is possible which is also noteable by the lack of diners which had always been plentiful.
We will not be going back there in the near future-unless it closes and is bought out by Sainsbury's Local.

Visited May 2012