“A little bit of the jazz age” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Delivery
Worthing, United Kingdom
“A little bit of the jazz age”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I visited with my cousin for a late lunch/afternoon tea on wet afternoon. It's a wonderfully unique place to visit, and is full of nice touches, like period style sign and pleasant background jazz music. We had an interesting view over the airfield, and up to the Downs - I enjoy coming here on sunnier days too, when you can watch planes landing and taking off.

The teas were Clipper and were very good value, getting several cups of good tea for little over a £1. The food was also good value. I have a gigantic jacket with cheese and my cousin had a cream tea - both were delicious and nicely presented.

The service was polite and food arrived promptly, but our dirty plates were left on our table for about half an hour after we finished our food until we got up to leave, having finished our drinks, despite the cafe being quiet and several members of staff being on duty. Also making a basic enquiry about a dish became very confusing as the server spoke rather limited English, and we had quite a lot of difficulty understanding each other.

The ladies' toilets could also do with a refurbishment.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

Our first visit to this restaurant & it was fab. We arrived 12ish Sunday lunch time with my parents and my daughters who were back for a weekend from university. we were welcomed by very attentive & caring staff who helped us to get a table with a view. It was such a wonderful setting with the planes taking off & landing, the Art Deco setting with jazz pianist & such a lovely atmosphere & not to mention the amazing cakes!
We had baked potatoes with cheese or coronation chicken & it came with a very fresh salad followed by coffee cake, ginger cake & lemon cake !! Very reasonable prices & good quality food.... We then stood outside for a while to watch the planes, all in all a very good day for 3 generations.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Geat food in a great setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

We always enjoyed going before but since the revamp it is amazing - packed out at 2pm spoke volumes. Our order was taken and a table became vacant, the food followed and was excellent - tables were cleared quickly and all staff very "on the ball". Beautifully decorated - amazing range of cakes which next time we must try - a real success!

• Visited March 2013
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Not to be missed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013 via mobile

Bought my daughter flying lesson for Christmas , after phoning & confirming her lesson I asked if we could get lunch, I was told its just a cafe, well just a cafe or resturant it was fantastic. Party of five of us all had something different all was excellent. I wish there more places to go like this ! Well done to management and their staff.

Sompting, United Kingdom
“Superb experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This was a fantastic first visit since Truffles took over the restaurant. I could not fault it. The food was of excellant standard and very reasonable. The coffee as I told the waitress was the best I had ever tasted and they knew what a flattop was!
I just hope they are not victims if their own success and change anything about their operation. One suggestion, maybe have the specials written in a blackboard on the wall, I missed the single A4 sheet on the bar.