“Impresive!!! Tucancostamaya great job!” 5 of 5 stars

Mexico
Improve this listing
Activities: Driving
More attraction details
Owner description: This ancient Mayan city was built around 500 AD and is famous for its Temple of the Masks.
New York City, New York
“Impresive!!! Tucancostamaya great job!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This was so amazing Kohunlic is an impresive site it shows how majestic was the mayan culture it really worth the drive the temple of the masks adn the details on the carvings are impresive, we booked trough tucancostamaya it was cheaper than the one sold by the cruise ship and way much better we travel on a private tour and it was good because we stopped to get some fresh pineapple, take some pictures at the beautiful seven colors lagoon we also got a treat from our guide of some really tasty tamales this little extras of the tour made the difference, it was simply exceptional.

Visited January 2013

New Boston, New Hampshire
12 attraction reviews
“An amazing site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I took the trip to this ancient Mayan city from a NCL cruise and we loved it. My wife who seldom appreciates ancient sites, was very impressed with this one. Our guide Jesus was exceptional with tremendous knowledge of the area in general and the Mayan civilization. He pointed out areas of interest along the way and explained life and living in Mexico. THIS is one reason I travel the world! He completely exceeded my expectations.

The bus ride was long but also interesting, driving through the towns and countryside in a very comfortable bus with a competent driver. Mexico could do itself a favor however and remove the topes (speed bumps).

A bag lunch was handed out which was basic but good. I didn't go on this trip for food, however!

As for the site itself, it took my breath away. I took plenty of pictures but just google it and you'll see more and better photos than I included. The area is much larger than I thought it would be and my guess is that not all of it has yet been unearthed.

Although I don't usually care too much for static museums, this would be a good addition to this site. I'd be interested to see a guess of what this city actually looked like in its day in full color and how the Mayans looked and dressed.

If you're on a cruise ship that offers this tour, take it. If you're on your own, try to get a guide so you'll understand better what you're looking at. I was there in March. I imagine it can get rather warm in mid summer so I'd dress appropriately.

Visited March 2013
Gibsons, Canada
14 attraction reviews
“Beautiful setting & site”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

We really enjoyed visiting this site. The setting is park-like amongst the incredibly massive Kohoon palm trees. More than enough structures to check out and the view from the top of the Temple of the 27 Stairs is worthwhile. Also the masks in the Temple of the Masks are impressive.
There were very few people there when we went so it was very serene and relaxing to wander the grounds. Ample signage at each structure. Ample washrooms in the parking area.
Visiting this site was a lovely experience except for the man at the admissions desk who wasn't very friendly or helpful.

Visited March 2013
Washington
6 attraction reviews
“Great Mayan Ruins - Poor Guiding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Bus ride to the ruins took almost twice as long as advertised - 2 1/2 hrs each way with a lot of local commentary. The ruins have great structures several with detailed faces. Instead of introducing use to each structure & letting us photograph & roam, we were held at a distance listening to inane info. There was plenty of spare time on the bus to pass this info to us, without reducing our time to move about the structures. I woud give the ruins a 5 and the guiding a 2.

Visited February 2013
Pinehurst, North Carolina
20 attraction reviews
“Not at all "ruined"!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

It was a little over a 2 hour bus ride from the pier through the country. We had a stop at a check point where everyone had to show their ship card to the guard. So please make sure you also carry your picture ID. It was no big deal. Our guide was Jesus and he was terrific! I had done a lot of research regarding the Mayan culture prior to our trip and he was so very willing to answere my questions and offered wonderful explainations. We were allowed to climb the ruins but one must be very careful because the steps are very narrow and there are no hand rails for the journey down. The ball court was fascinating but the "robbers" came many years ago and removed the "hoops". The highlight was "the Temple of the Masks"! The stone work was beautiful. You must try to imagine what it must have looked like in ful color as the Mayans intended. What a fascinating culture!! Had a lovely lunch at a family owned restaurant by a beautiful lagoon! An unforgetable adventure!!

Visited February 2013