“Amazing Mayan Stucco Heads” 3 of 5 stars

Mexico
Improve this listing
Activities: Driving
More attraction details
Owner description: This ancient Mayan city was built around 500 AD and is famous for its Temple of the Masks.
Tallahassee, Florida
78 attraction reviews
“Amazing Mayan Stucco Heads”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Kohunlich is about 9 kilometers south of highway 186 between Chetumal and Xpuhil, about 60 kilometers from Chetumal. The road is about 1.5 lanes but has giant craters as potholes, car swallowing. There is a short 100 meter walk to the site from the entrance. Good walkways around the site, mostly in the shade. The site has several structures around the central plaza with the largest pyramids, still small by Mayan standards. Back more in the forest is a ball court and a variety of residential structures, mostly low. There is a good view from the back of the last one at the end of the 27 steps. The site is most famous for several large stucco heads which are visible under some temporary roofs lining the central steps at the Pyramid of the Masks. This site is heavily visited by tour groups, 6 buses by 10 AM when we were there Cost is 55 pesos with free parking. Toilets but no refreshments.

Visited November 2012

Wellington, New Zealand
16 attraction reviews
“Kohunlich - Very Nice Mayan Ruins”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Mayan ruins in lovely setting. Interesting to see the apartments with inbuilt double beds. Temple of the Masks is impressive and the Tree of Life was fascinating.

Visited November 2011
New York City, New York
36 attraction reviews
“Impressive a must see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

So very interesting; I pride myself in being in good shape but I climb the uneven steps with little problems but once I got to the top it looked so much higher ! I would still be at the top if a couple didn't help me down. Some of the way down was done while sitting and praying that the ground meet me half way. Seeing the Masks up close was worth it. Taking pictures from that height was amazing also. I also had visited the Tulum site near Cozumel as another visitor said and I agree this once was less commercialized and not crowded. You could spend the day taking pictures and getting a real feel for what it was like back in the day!
Beware of Red Ants, while the tour guild was expecting things to us I stood a little away from the others in the Sun. Well my feet start feeling like they were on fire; and I asked the people closest to me did they feel the same. The tour guld must have had me because he made his way though the people and with both hands out toward me push me and said "You are standing on a Ant Hill". Well I was traveling alone but you never would have thought so. Everyone pull out the Bug Stray and started straying my legs and feet, the tour leader put cream to fight getting infection and give it to me to use later. I must say in was a very interesting day! I would do it all again !

Visited September 2012
Barcelona
20 attraction reviews
“very much worth the trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I loved these ruins. They are impressive, not only for their architecture and the amazing masks on the main pyramid but also because of the surroundings. The ruins are located inside a very dense and beautiful jungle with loads of palm trees and the area is all covered in green.
The road that leads to them, off the main road, although it is paved, it has some serious holes and you'll have to drive carefully. Fortunatelly, it is only 9km!

Visited July 2012
Edinburg, Texas
22 attraction reviews
“great masks and variety of buildings spread through attractive forest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

Kohunlich definitely lived up to its billing as a noteworthy archeological site in moist, tall forest. No building in particular stood out, but there was a nice variety of large and small buildings, including residential areas, a ball-court, the main structure with the featured masks, and some good birding and moss-covered palm trunks. as others have noted, it was very uncrowded, although some workers were tidying up a few overgrown shrubs to keep the area open. there was a nice view from the "27 steps" residential area, but not the cliff mentioned in some guide-books. birding was excellent, but (as usual) make sure you bring plenty of water if you visit in the hot season, since you will sweat a lot in the high humidity. This site can be reached in about an hour's drive from Chetumal, and probably a bit less from Bacalar, another spot with lodging. we visited nearby Dzibanche and Kinichna on a different morning, but you could easily do all sites in one day.

Visited May 2012