TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“A Great Way to See the Real Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda de Taos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jalisco
Hacienda de Taos
You added Hacienda de Taos to your Saves list
Los Sauces, 46018, Mexico   |
Ranked #52 of 240 Specialty Lodging in Jalisco
Burlington, Canada
“A Great Way to See the Real Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

My 12 yr old daughter and I were visiting Ajijic and friends told us about Hacienda de Taos. What a fabulous place! We enjoyed the lovely drive around Lake Chapala--seeing all the berry farms and villages along the way. This ranch is a real Mexican experience. Celina picked out perfect horses for us...we are experienced English riders...so we needed a review on Western style. The horses were extremely well trained and behaved, and had the nimbleness and trail experience to make us feel totally comfortable on the ride. Our group of 5 walked, trotted and cantered over parts of the rocky terrain, and took time to visit the ranch's lake and survey the scenery and the cacti. The ranch lunch on the Hacienda porch afterward was just what we needed and provided another reason to look at the amazing views. We'll be back to stay in the cabins next time! Many thanks Celina and Jose!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

I am so glad I posted the question on the TA forum for a ranch to visit. Hacienda de Taos was a great recommendation. Selina and Jose made us feel so welcome and gave us experiences that we will remember for a long time. We hiked, rode horses, milked cows and had a tasty camp fire dinner. Getting there by bus was no hassle. The cabins are so cute and has THE most comfortable bed I have ever slept in. This was definitely a hi-light of our month long stay in Mexico. I wished we lived closer so we could make it an annual holiday! Thanks Celina and Jose

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Rockwood, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I travel to Mexico every year and Hacienda de Taos is the highlight each time. We are in love with the scenery, the trails and the horses. We are both experienced riders and have traveled with people who are not. Celina matches the horses to ability, so you can gallop along the trail or just let the horse do the work while you relax. I cannot express enough what a unique Mexican experience this is and by far the best horseback riding we've done anywhere!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

What a lovely time, and in such beautiful country. From dinner around the campfire as the sun set behind the mountains, to watching birds and wildlife while we paddled the kayak, we really enjoyed this quiet and beautiful part of Mexico. The horses are very well-trained and a pleasure to ride, far above the normal level of trail horses. One note: bring warmer clothes than you think you need and expect to pile on the blankets, it gets cold, cold at night.
My favourite things: the dogs, the terrain and breakfast! Coming back next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Ajijic, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Travelled from Ajijic to the Hacienda de Taos ranch near Los Sauces, Mexico on Feb. 8th as a group of 6. All the horses were professionally groomed and saddled upon our arrival and we were assigned to horses based on our size and level of experience. Celina made sure everyone was comfortable and understood what we could expect from our horse and and instructed us on how to handle our horse. She also keeps an eye on everyone and gives instructions continually make sure we were comfortable but also how we could assist our horse for there safety as well. We had arranged to have lunch on the ride and her incredibly able ranch hand arrived with his daughters and our amazing lunch that was way beyond our expectations. I will definitely be riding with Celina in the future as it was one of the best experience I have ever had.
Thanks Celina and Jose for great day!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Ajijic, Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The overall rating would have been lower, but my daughter enjoyed it so I compromised. To begin with, the drive from Ajijic to Los Sauces was difficult due to the road construction on the highway, as they are widening the road...and once off the main roads, we got lost several times trying to find the right dirt road that leads to the ranch. The dirt road access is in poor repair so I wasn't sure my car would make it...but it did. A SUV would be advisable here. The trip from Ajijic took 2 1/2 hours. The gate has no sign so we almost drove past it as well. Once there, we met Celina and rode for 2 hours. When I hopped up on the saddle, it slid down, but as Celina pointed out to me, I apparently didn't know how to get on a horse the right way...and also, when I dismounted, I didn't do that the right way either....

The 'trails', if you want to call them that, are not very wide and quite rocky so it was slow going up the hill...lots of prickly trees and bushes to avoid. We rode on 2 trails, had a tour of the lodge/house that she is building, and the 2 cottages that she rents out, then headed home. I'm more used to riding in open spaces, and not on an obstacle course like the rocky hills on her ranch...Overall it was not enjoyable for me, but like I said, my daughter enjoyed it, so I was happy about that.
**I would also like to point out the main picture on the TripAdvisor description is NOT this ranch.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hacienda De Tao... R, Public Relations Manager at Hacienda de Taos, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your honest review and we are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your visit to Hacienda de Taos. We pride ourselves on offering a true western experience in the beautiful and naturally rugged Mexican countryside, however, we also have riding areas on flatter land or along quiet country roads and we hope you return soon to let us show you some of the tamer side of Mexico.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Decided to drive to Hacienda de Taos on a whim before returning to the US. It was a great experience. The cabins are very cute and rustic, but not uncomfortable. The campfire dinner and breakfast were great and varied, and even had vegetarian options. The horseback rides were also excellent and more interesting than I had imagined. I had imagined more "touristy" rides, but these includes hills and a chance to walk past grazing (and slightly startled!) cows. Celina also allowed me to bring my big, lazy dog, which was very helpful. He loved the chance to play with the resident dogs, sample horse manure, and experience life in the country. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hacienda de Taos? Share your experiences!