TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“A true taste of Mexico” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hacienda de Taos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jalisco
Hacienda de Taos
Save Saved
You added Hacienda de Taos to your Saves list
Los Sauces, 46018, Mexico   |
Ranked #53 of 232 Specialty Lodging in Jalisco
Rockwood, Canada
“A true taste of Mexico”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2014

My wife and I travel to Mexico every year and Hacienda de Taos is the highlight each time. We are in love with the scenery, the trails and the horses. We are both experienced riders and have traveled with people who are not. Celina matches the horses to ability, so you can gallop along the trail or just let the horse do the work while you relax. I cannot express enough what a unique Mexican experience this is and by far the best horseback riding we've done anywhere!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

What a lovely time, and in such beautiful country. From dinner around the campfire as the sun set behind the mountains, to watching birds and wildlife while we paddled the kayak, we really enjoyed this quiet and beautiful part of Mexico. The horses are very well-trained and a pleasure to ride, far above the normal level of trail horses. One note: bring warmer clothes than you think you need and expect to pile on the blankets, it gets cold, cold at night.
My favourite things: the dogs, the terrain and breakfast! Coming back next year.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

Travelled from Ajijic to the Hacienda de Taos ranch near Los Sauces, Mexico on Feb. 8th as a group of 6. All the horses were professionally groomed and saddled upon our arrival and we were assigned to horses based on our size and level of experience. Celina made sure everyone was comfortable and understood what we could expect from our horse and and instructed us on how to handle our horse. She also keeps an eye on everyone and gives instructions continually make sure we were comfortable but also how we could assist our horse for there safety as well. We had arranged to have lunch on the ride and her incredibly able ranch hand arrived with his daughters and our amazing lunch that was way beyond our expectations. I will definitely be riding with Celina in the future as it was one of the best experience I have ever had.
Thanks Celina and Jose for great day!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

The overall rating would have been lower, but my daughter enjoyed it so I compromised. To begin with, the drive from Ajijic to Los Sauces was difficult due to the road construction on the highway, as they are widening the road...and once off the main roads, we got lost several times trying to find the right dirt road that leads to the ranch. The dirt road access is in poor repair so I wasn't sure my car would make it...but it did. A SUV would be advisable here. The trip from Ajijic took 2 1/2 hours. The gate has no sign so we almost drove past it as well. Once there, we met Celina and rode for 2 hours. When I hopped up on the saddle, it slid down, but as Celina pointed out to me, I apparently didn't know how to get on a horse the right way...and also, when I dismounted, I didn't do that the right way either....

The 'trails', if you want to call them that, are not very wide and quite rocky so it was slow going up the hill...lots of prickly trees and bushes to avoid. We rode on 2 trails, had a tour of the lodge/house that she is building, and the 2 cottages that she rents out, then headed home. I'm more used to riding in open spaces, and not on an obstacle course like the rocky hills on her ranch...Overall it was not enjoyable for me, but like I said, my daughter enjoyed it, so I was happy about that.
**I would also like to point out the main picture on the TripAdvisor description is NOT this ranch.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hacienda De Tao... R, Public Relations Manager at Hacienda de Taos, responded to this review, February 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your honest review and we are very sorry that you were not completely satisfied with your visit to Hacienda de Taos. We pride ourselves on offering a true western experience in the beautiful and naturally rugged Mexican countryside, however, we also have riding areas on flatter land or along quiet country roads and we hope you return soon to let us show you some of the tamer side of Mexico.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Decided to drive to Hacienda de Taos on a whim before returning to the US. It was a great experience. The cabins are very cute and rustic, but not uncomfortable. The campfire dinner and breakfast were great and varied, and even had vegetarian options. The horseback rides were also excellent and more interesting than I had imagined. I had imagined more "touristy" rides, but these includes hills and a chance to walk past grazing (and slightly startled!) cows. Celina also allowed me to bring my big, lazy dog, which was very helpful. He loved the chance to play with the resident dogs, sample horse manure, and experience life in the country. Thanks!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Chapala, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Last fall we had the opportunity to take our God-Daughter from England for a day out riding. It turned out to be so much more. Not only is the ranch/ride wonderful, but Celina is also. We were smiling and laughing all day long. We will be going back again soon-hopefully to stay the night in one of the adorable cabins. DO NOT MISS THIS, as part of your time in this area!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Make sure to include Hacienda de Taos in your itinerary while in Mexico! It truly is the perfect ranch experience featuring: horseback-riding and riding lessons, as well as, camping trips and full moon rides. If you wish, cabins are available for overnight stays to extend the adventure! Celina is nothing short of amazing! It is obvious that her horses are well-trained and well-loved. Four of us had not been on horses in over twenty years... Celina gave us thorough instruction to ensure our confidence and safety before leading us out on a two-hour ride. Wonderful!!! Located in the Ajijic area, make the trip around Lake Chapala to Los Sauces part of the perfect experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hacienda de Taos? Share your experiences!