TRAVEL ALERT: SAFETY AND SECURITY More info

“Off the Grid, On the Money” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tierra Chamahua EcoAdventures at Rancho Los Banos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sonora
Tierra Chamahua EcoAdventures at Rancho Los Banos
You added Tierra Chamahua EcoAdventures at Rancho Los Banos to your Saves list
Rancho Los Banos | northeast Sonora, 242242, Mexico   |
Ranked #1 of 41 Specialty Lodging in Sonora
New York City, New York
“Off the Grid, On the Money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I recently traveled to Tierra Chamahua primarily to turn off the mobile device in exchange for a week of hiking without the day to day amenities of a city. The landscape is remote, untraveled and simply beautiful from sunrise to sunset. It's Mexico like you've probably never seen before. Manuel Sr. and Jr. are engaging, fantastic hosts and have a real connection with the land. Manuel Jr. knows the plethora of different hiking trails like the back of his hand and makes it an absolute priority to cater to his guests specific interests. The week exceeded all expectations. I would highly recommend the ranch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I just returned from Tierra Chamahua and am happy to report it lives up to every recommendation on this site. Manuel does a fantastic job making sure his guests enjoy themselves and experience the beauty of the ranch. Horseback riding looked fantastic, however I prefered to hike everyday instead and was surrounded by lush canyons and crystal clear swimming holes. I highly recommend the ranch.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Williams, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

My daughter (11) and I went to this ranch (Tierra Chamahua) and had a fantastic time. We both love to ride and the trails there are truly breath-taking and fun. Although August is hot we still enjoyed the time there and also the kayaking. My daughter loved the hanging gardens and cool spring fed creeks too. The horses are remarkable especially with their sturdy and safe footing--they carried us places we couldn't believe! The lodging was also nice and the views were truly spectacular and with the nightly light show and afternoon monsoon we were simply delighted. Highly recommended especially if you like incredible views and great trail rides and truly out of the ordinary scenery and away from civilization- this is the place for you - a relaxing, fun and adventurous time away!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Fairfield, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

My husband and I have been to several ranches. For riding, this tops them all. The scenery is magnificent. The rides challenging, yet safe. The horses are well mannered and responsive and take the moutainous terrain in stride. Everyone was great..crew and guests alike. The food was fabulous, as well. We will return!!!

Room Tip: Only one room has a private bath. Hot water is available in the afternoon...great after a long ride...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Spruce Grove, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

On the spur of the moment, I decided to book a trip by myself, something out of the ordinary, something where I would see and experience something new. I was so lucky to find Tierra Chamahua EcoAdvenures. The experience was even better than I expected. Even now, when I think back (I've been back about six weeks now), the memories are so vivid. All of the people I met on this trip, whether it was someone associated with the ranch itself or one of the other guests there, were so warm and friendly. I felt like I was vacationing with friends and family. The sites were simply breathtaking. Every day was something new to see, something new to experience. The horses were calm and even though I had very little horseback riding experience and not for many many years, I never felt the least bit uncomfortable or as though I did not have control of the horse I was riding. These were not your standard "trail rides" by any stretch but you never have to do more than you are comfortable with. The same goes for the hikes. The food was fabulous and plentiful. If you have special dietary restrictions, the staff always try to accommodate that as well. You know, I could go and on. But all you would be reading is more superlatives. It was truly a wonderful vacation that allowed me to push myself but never further than I wanted. So glad I had this opportunity. Amazing staff, stunning scenery, truly unique.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Gosforth, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

What can I say? Having wanted to have been a cowgirl for many years I now feel that I have had a taste of the real thing. The experience far outweighed my expectations; dramatic scenery, canyons and creeks galore. The horses were unbelievably sure footed going places that no horse should surely go! And with Lovely ranch dogs accompanied us on rides making it made for a wonderful experience. The vaqueros were patient and humorous, as were all the staff - some more quirky than others!
The evenings had a nicely familiar feel to them with Geoff and Dorine making food and squabbling and us drinking beer and wine like grown ups!! What a hoot... I met some really nice people, had some very exciting rides (I'm a novice), and had a really wonderful time. If you get chance to stay out at the guest house on your own during the day, do so. I did and it was amazing!
Thank you! Manuel, for being such a charming, funny and accommodating host - I truly feel a "friend of the rancho".
EM. UK

Room Tip: Take plenty of beer and wine!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
East Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

My husband and I managed to book with only 2 days notice (our original trip was cancelled last minute). We are thankful that the original trip was cancelled otherwise we might never have found this picturesque location. We were met by Manuel Jr. and Kat at Tucson and had a lovely drive down to the Ranch. We took advantage of the horse riding, hiking, warm springs and porching. The night sky was stunning, we were able to see the sky with the full moon and no moon. Neither of us know Spanish but we never felt uncomfortable with the language barrier. They also adjusted the food for me as I don't like spicy food. You could never go hungry there. We can't wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tierra Chamahua EcoAdventures at Rancho Los Banos? Share your experiences!