“A Perfect Spot” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Santa Elena B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A Perfect Spot”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2014

We've stayed at the Pickled Onion twice now and in the future will always try to work in a night or two with Valerie at the P.O. It is truly a labor of love on Valerie's part. Beautiful, lush landscaping, mucho privacy, great rooms (actually individual huts), wonderful fresh food, great staff, and convenient to all the Puuc area. Also, each time we've stayed there we've met wonderful people who have become friends long after our trips are done. Oh, I forgot - great pool!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
It was a great pleasure for me also to have you here again for a second time...two most delightful people to have here with me .
And you met another lovely couple that you bonded with ... how nice
I hope to see you again in the near future you will always be welcomed
Valerie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

We ran into this place on our way to visit the local Mayan ruins. The food was fantastic. I had a combination Plate that had a little bit of everything. The tacos we're great and the enchilada was tasty. Everything was fresh and quickly served. To top it off they serve coke and diet coke in glass bottles. Nothing tastes better on a hot day in the Yucatan!

The owner is from the United Kingdom but the experience is absolutely authentic Yucatan.

Stayed March 2014
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for your lovely revue and I am so happy you enjoyed the Yucatan dishes and thumbs up to you for trying them.
I used to buy the coke in plastic then I thought this is silly really with all the garbage it creates so I decided to go to with the glass bottles and you are right the flavour is so much better.
I hope one day you can return meanwhile wherever you go I hope you have good memories
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2014

From the moment we arrived, Valerie and her team made us feel very welcomed- just what we needed after a long drive from Cancun! We arrived to find that we had been given a free upgrade, to the first of the rooms built- Ya'ax Nah.

The room was beautifully decorated and was built in a traditional Mayan style, with very tasteful modern furnishings and all the facilities we needed (the fridge and coffee machine were a very welcome surprise). The internet connection in our room was fast and reliable, and the surrounding grounds were wonderful.

The meal we had at the restaurant was fantastic- easily the best meal we had on our entire holiday. We felt the prices were reasonable (given that we were in the middle of the jungle!) and the service was excellent. The food itself was delicious and cooked to perfection.

We had a fantastic night's sleep and were disappointed to have to check out the following morning. However, before we left we were treated to a wonderful breakfast, including fruit, yoghurt, toast, Yucatán honey and a selection of teas. I just wish that we could have stayed an additional night in the tranquil surroundings of the Pickled Onion!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful revue... I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write to tripadvisor ..... So happy you enjoyed the 'jungle' experience and it was a great pleasure to have you here.... Great that we now have internet in all the rooms... and yes on the whole it works great.... better than most places out here in the jungle...
I hope you do make it back one day to see more changes coming to The Pickled Onion
i hope you have many more happy memories of future travels
Surrey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

It probably wasn't the best choice for me as I am not 'at one' with nature. However, I have given it a 'very good' rating as I think overall the place is lovely.

The little palapa huts are cute, spacious, well furnished & I think the owner has done a great job of creating a special place but I just don't do insects in a room where I sleep. The windows are covered with mosquito netting but there are massive gaps between the roof and walls which have a bit of netting strewn in but it's not enough to fill the large spaces. At night, little biting flying things (and crawling things for that matter) easily find their way in attracted by the light.

So, my dislike of insects aside, it was a clean room, comfortable bed & amazing to see the stars at night - pitch black & I've never seen stars so clearly. The location is good - just outside the town on the main road (a bit noisy but not too bad). There's nothing in the town and I think this is really the only place you can eat, apart from some little snack joints.

The gardens are pretty & the pool appealing. Breakfast was excellent. Wi-fi in the restaurant only - it's a bit hit and miss. Dinner was OK - nothing special but given there is little alternative, it was good to be able to have it on site.

The owner & staff are friendly enough but I didn't feel their attitude was especially 'customer service' oriented. One pair of diners (not staying at the hotel) asked to use the wi-fi whilst they waited for their food but were refused. Getting some ice in order to have a glass of cold water in the room was a challenge - given reluctantly. I know maximising profit is key but happy customers go along way to achieveing that!

On the whole I didn't enjoy my stay & was glad to leave beacuse it wasn't the place for me - but that's just me & I know many others would love the unusual experience.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
You did mention to me at the very start that you did not like insects of any kind... unfortunately we cannot control mother nature and I have done my best to secure the rooms as much as I can.The openness of the roofs in the rooms are to allow air flow and as the roofs are so tall insects would not normally fly so high.Yes your are correct that the light does attract insects again which is quite unavoidable due to the location of being in the jungle.
Apart from having internet in the restaurant and breakfast patio ALL the rooms have internet service and the information is on the front cover of the book we supply in each room showing you how to connect. Again the service can be disrupted due to the location... the service has to come from another town and has to be transported by DSL over hills and vales . It has taken 4 years of working really hard to get the service we have now.... I am usually on the internet constantly and have no issues only when cell connection is down which is what happened a couple of days ago. Again I have no control over this issue
I used to reserve internet for guests only as a perk but since my server for internet has installed a stronger single, we now give it free... so I was surprised when you mentioned that people were refused service as it was only two weeks ago I gave the go ahead to give out the password free of charge.But I will mention again to the staff.
Santa Elena is a small village and with any village life one does not get the city amenities . Part of the experience coming here is to see how the real Maya people live.To experience living in the jungle
Refrigerators are in all rooms with free water so that clients can utilize, for their convenience ,including making ice for your drinks . Our supply of ice is rather limited again due to the location .
You did not, however mention that your spouse was quite delighted in being here which was obvious when we chatted at breakfast time.So to be fair I feel that this is only a onesided comment .
i hope your stay in Cancun Hotel Zone proved to more to your liking .
Cambridge
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We traveled from Cancun to the Pickled Onion and what a worthwhile journey. I was most definitely left breathless from my surroundings. Our family of four had a fabulous sleep in the Woolis Nah (Round House). I had expected to hear complaints from my 11 and 12 year old but they had a fantastic time and loved hanging out in the hammocks. The food was fantastic and the staff an absolute delight, the rooms spotless and we wanted for nothing. There is a fridge and safe in the rooms as well. We didn't have time to utilize the pool this time. We truly felt that we had the opportunity to see and experience the culture of our surroundings. The Pickled Onion is a secret oasis and I know that our family will be back only next time we will ensure we have more time to spend at this lovely oasis.

Room Tip: There is a room for everyone. The website has quite accurate information as well as pictures to help...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank you so much for your wonderful revue... It was certainly a pleasure to have you and your family here with me.... for a short respite. I only hope when you do come again you could stay longer as there is so much to see in this area. I know holidays are short and it is not possible to do everything but now you have got a taste and had the experience of life in the jungle it will encourage you to come again. There will always be a welcome here for you and your family, excellent guests and a lovely family all of you appreciating the surroundings .
i hope you have many more wonderful experiences wherever you go
Take care and travel well
Kingston, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

my husaband and I make the two hour trip to the Pickled Onion each year...its become a tradition!. We love the cuisine, the private sleeping in the palapa covered huts, the beautiful pathways teaming with the regional flowers, and the ever so obliging staff, they will help you in any way you need, and oh the swimming pool with the hammock across where you can lounge and dangle your feet in the water!
Our daughter was visiting from Canada this year and she requested we show her the B&B we have raved about over the years. ...She was in awe and now understands why we rave so much about it. To top the visit off whille enjoying lunch on the patio we even spotted the rare birds called MOT MOT...there they were settled on a branch not far away, promoting great photos. relaxing wonderful visit once again.
JOAN

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hello Joan and thank you for your comments... that was a special moment when the pair of Mot Mot/Toh came to welcome you all! Later I saw them swooping down to where they are nesting, right in front of my place, how blest I am! How blest I am too to have such lovely people visit me every year and that your daughter had the chance to see this place.
I look forward to seeing you next year.... I will be here waiting for you
Take care
cheers
Lausanne, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

The Pickled Onion is close to Uxmal (don't miss these ruins, they're are beautiful) and the Ruta Puuc.
The room was comfortable, quiet and clean, the food excellent, the garden well-kept and lovely.
A delicious breakfast with fruit, bread, cereal, coffee and juice was included in the price!
We had a great time around the pool, chatting with the other guests and sipping margaritas.
Valerie is an excellent hostess, she really cares for her guests' comfort. Thank you! It was sad to have to leave.

Room Tip: I'm sure they're all equally great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Thank you for your comments they are really welcomed.... You were just great guests to have around and the pool is a nice feature after seeing the lovely Uxmal ruins... cool off,drink a cocktail, a beer or two ,listen to other guests stories ,watch the many tropical birds at play and even connect with internet....!
I too am sorry you did not get the chance to stay another night... sometimes because of the shortness of vacations it is hard to get everything in... there is so much to see in the Yucatan
Maybe you will make it back one day and know that there will always be a welcome for you here
Valerie

Been to The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant? Share your experiences!