“Delicious food!” 5 of 5 stars

+52 1 997 111 7922
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Mexican, Vegan, Vegetarian, International
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Scenic view, Dining on a budget
Description: The restaurant and B & B boosts the freshest ingredients in the whole area and the cleanest modern kitchen .Located in Santa Elena on the main Uxmal-Kabah road of Uxmal . Wonderful evening sunsets to wallow in over dinner. Open 7 days a week for breakfast lunch and dinner . Excellent Yucatan cuisine. Experienced local chefs from Santa Elena Easy access and free parking.FREE internet for all guests in the rooms and public areas . Included ,delicious breakfast, with fresh, some homegrown, local fruits and more, with your room. The breakfast area is located in a private area specifically for over night guests.Guests can enjoy FREE Wi Fi ,coffe,water and more in the rooms .
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Delicious food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

The food was upto the high expectation set because of the existing reviews on TA! There were few, but good, vegetarian options. We stayed here as well and highly recommend the huts.

Visited November 2013
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant Uxmal, responded to this review, December 2, 2013
Thank you for your review it was very nice of you to do this and you stayed too!! A bonus.
Yes vegetarian is a little difficult to find in the Yucatan due to that it is really a meat eating country here in Mexico ... But things are changing slowly and some restaurants particularly in Merida pride themselves on their veggie plates... which the chef creates. As the trends continue we maybe making some changes in the near future .. stay tuned !
Take care and travel well
cheers

Potton, United Kingdom
“Restaurant in Santa Elena”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We ate here only once, the food and service were good, but we felt it was relatively expensive. Perhaps I was tired after a long day, but it felt like the owner was just a bit too chatty and attentive when all we wanted was a quiet meal and to eat our food.

Visited November 2013
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant Uxmal, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and sorry you felt I was too chatty... I thought I was trying to make you feel comfortable... I remember that you mentioned to me that you had left early that day before sunrise to visit Celestun a more than 2 hour journey from here and arrived late at night just before coming here to eat.So yes now after you mentioned it in your comments I can understand why you were tired.
I have travelled extensivly in the Yucatan and find my prices are on par and even less than most places . Our menu is varied and has various prices . Trying to please everyones budget is sometimes quite difficult so I go for the middle of the road , with quality products and the main plates are all traditional Yucatecan foods .Some people are looking more for the taco stands,cocina economicas etc and are working with a low budget but some, prefer a little bit more, a place where they can have a nice cocktail, a glass of wine, a great view ,a chef or two,and experienced staff.... and I think I fill this nich here is Santa Elena .
Kindest regards
Toronto, Canada
“Restaurant review: delicious lunch, average overall experience.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Party of 2, stopped here while traveling on the Ruta Pucc. The main reason we chose to stop here was to take advantage of the pool as well as eat lunch. Very disappointing to learn that the pool is no longer available for restaurant guests. Felt that the owner was annoyed by our request (at first I thought that maybe it was no longer free to use the pool, and offered to pay to use it) - it is not my fault that guide books are not updated!

Saving grace was that the food was excellent. Make sure to try to avocado soup - refined and refreshing with surprising flavor. Delicious!

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant Uxmal, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Hello and thank you for your review... I am happy you enjoyed the food but concerned that if you knew you could not have used the pool would you have come? I was more surprised than annoyed when you asked to use the pool as it has not been in use for the public for more than 3 years due to the fact that the restaurant is now a full B & B ( but the restuarant is still open to the public0 and feel the clients are paying for privacy of having a private pool.
I realize it is not your fault that guide books do not get updated as they should but neither is it mine! We have to wait for the writers to drop by which they promise to do at least every two years. But as you noticed this is not happening with some.i have frequently written to guide books that have not updated information but you know once the book is printed there is nothing they can do until the next edition.
You did mention to me at the time that you would write a good comment on tripadviser if you could use the pool to which I replied, oh are you trying to blackmail me (said with a smile) You responded , yes!
I did have guests around the pool when you arrived and MAYBE just MAYBE if there had not been anyone I would have let you take a quick dip... One has to realize that things change as does life. If we become stagnant we wither and of course this would not be appropriate in the tourist industry .
So next time you come around why dont you stay with me then you can see how lovely the pool and surrounding gardens are and why people choose to stay with me.
Santa Cruz, California
“Bad food, bad service!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

I dont like writing bad reviews but cannot help it with this place. First off the food was soggy and overcooked. Which wouldnt have been such a big deal if it wasnt for the rude, bad service. We were charged to use the restaurants wifi, even though we were eating there. There was a fee for a glass of water with something written onthe menu like "nothing is free in this world." And then they added in a tip on the bill. When we asked about it the waiter said it was written on the menu, which it wasnt. I live in Mexico and travel alot. I am not picky, just appreciate a place that makes you feel welcome which this place definitly does not... We ate the rest of our meals either at taco stands in town or at the hotel restaurant at the entrance to the Uxmal ruins. Not the greatest food but good enough with very friendly and nice wait staff who even gave us glasses of water free of charge!! Skip the pickled onion!!!

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant Uxmal, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
I am so sorry you felt this way. about your experience here ... how strange that most of the reviews are very positive. I can only presume you were annoyed about the cover charge for the WI FI but nowhere does it say it s free! For my guests that stay here it is certainly FREE of charge.I think the place you were staying also have Wi Fi so my question is why would one want to come to eat and use Wi Fi when you had available to you in your own hotel ? Also you were told about the charge before you logged in, so therefore in my eyes you accepted our "politca de la casa"
If you had continued to read the rest of the menu regarding water it states that if you want a FREE glass of water then it is from the tap ! So at least we give warning for the clients, after that it is their choice.
We certainly do not mind that people ask for this. I have too ,lived in Mexico a long time and have yet to visit a nice restaurant where free water is given... in fact a bottle of water is sometimes on the table with a price attached. Once I was given a glass of water in Merida but it was tap water. Of course this did not upset me as I am used to drinking the water here having lived for many years. But I know that normal tourists have a fear and rightly so , of tap water.The purified water does not come to me free and if you noted on the menu too all our food is cooked with purified water.
You did not state what you actually ate , but I did talk to the staff and they seem to remember you ate wholeheartedly your partner leaving the plate clean and yourself only leaving a little . As for being soggy and overcooked the two words seem opposite to one another I cannot in the life of me know how a food can be soggy and overcooked at the same time. It could not be possible . Everything we prepare is to the highest standard and as one guide from Uxmal mentioned only last night, he has never seen such a clean kitchen and well prepared foods as here and that he would eat here everyday if he could.
When I myself have had concerns in restuarants that I visit,about food quality I make a point of talking with the waiter whereupon the solution is always resolved. In your comments I did not read where you had attempted to talk with the staff or even asked for the owner ( I was here on the property)so that we could have rectified your complaints without issues at that time.Complaining after the fact makes it very difficult to make amends.
The propinas issue , you are not obliged to pay , we do have a note about this on the wall in the restuarant but you may not have taken the time to read it , so therefore maybe came as a surprise to you.
The note says the following:
We cover 10% service charge on your bill
This service is for the Restaurant staff that divide equally
If you have any objections to this please inform the waiter at time of paying thank you
It is not obligatory but a moral thing and helps the staff to live a little better. higher standard of life than the norm.
Valerie Pickles
My staff are not the gushing ,overbearing type of people... they are Maya from the village of Santa Elena and are very calm and shy ..... I cannot say anything about the rudeness that you felt as I was not actually in the restaurant at the time and I will speak to the person personally to see what transpired . Sometimes, as in any walk of life ,there are personality clashes and feel this may have been the cause between your partner who I know to be Mexican,and the wait staff. I know this should not be the reason for what you called rudeness (if it was so ) but we are all human, treat a person with disrespect then our humaness takes over and we react the same way.
I see on Trip advisor that you also made another poor comment about a restuarant that had earned an award of excellence and has more positive reviews than negative... It just seems to me that you dont have much luck and I am sorry for that.
I hope you have better luck in your future travels
Riverdale, IA
“Valerie is excellent... this is in Santa Elena”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

I was going to just spend 1 nite here, but Valerie, the owner was so helpful that I stayed 3 or 4 nites... nice clean huts, excellent food... she speaks quite a few languages, and helped me research how to get to a number of out of the way places... no TV and the Radio barely tunes in... internet available in the restaurant area...

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
pickMerida, Owner at The Pickled Onion B&B / Restaurant Uxmal, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you Jeff for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure having you here. Hopefully the next time you are in the area you will be able to visit the out of the way ruins so it would be best to keep in mind that in the rainy season it is difficult to get to these places..Best time I would advise is in the dry season which is around April/May and June and of course these are the hottest months too!
We can certainly find you a guide to take you there as some are difficult to find my oneself.
So saying all this again it was lovely to have you here and hope to see you again in the near future
Take care and travel well