“Beautiful with some improvements” 4 of 5 stars

You added Borgo Egnazia to your Saves list
Borgo Egnazia
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Contrada Masciola, 72010 Savelletri, Fasano, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Savelletri
“Beautiful with some improvements”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I stayed in July, summer peak season. The location is stunning and the rooms are beautiful. The hotel isn't on the water front but there is a golf cart that takes you to the rocky beach every 20 minutes. The children's club at the beach was great, with them having an area to enjoy lunch with there friends. I must say the beach restaurant is a barn yard explosion, the food was not great and I found management is lacking there. The other restaurants were not much better. The food was very poor considering Italy is known for its cuisine, would defiantly recommend going out for a meal. The staff were polite I had good experiences with all the waiters they were trying there best and always managed to smile even though during my 7 day stay I saw most of them everyday. The staff are defiantly over worked. Overall it's a stunning place with nice clean rooms, staff are friendly but overworked and the food is not great. I did enjoy my stay there.

• Stayed July 2013
borgoegnazia2010, Direttore at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your review and for your candid feedback. I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay at Borgo Egnazia and you found our location stunning with beautiful rooms and great children's club.

We receive many compliments about our smiley, friendly and helpful staff and I thank you again for sharing yours. Some of our staff may look a little tired at the apex of the season and I am sorry that the perception was of overwork.

I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations on the food front and I would like to learn more about your experience to be able to improve our offering. I would appreciate if you could provide me with your contact details in private so I can connect with you at your convenience.

With my warmest wishes,

Marco Truffelli

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Hertford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

Our family of 5, plus my mother stayed in a villa. On arrival we were all impressed with the villa, it is a really beautiful place, rooms were all lovely, we had lots of living space and our own pool. The children's facilities we would say were average, the hotel advertise football for children at 10.30 each morning, we went twice and found nothing going on. The kids club aimed at under 8s, was more appropriate to nursery aged children, mainly girls, the craft baed activities, nursery rhyme singing and baking didn't appeal to my boys aged 5 and 8. Also there was no effort to engage the children, we went in to the club with our boys twice and none of the team tried to encourage them in. We expected amazing food in Italy, this was not the case at all. The food was very basic and the prices were extortionate. On the first night we had buffet, which was basically vegetables, 2 types of pasta and red meat (which I do not eat), no fish or chicken. This cost E60 each adult, I asked for chicken or fish but was told no it was the buffet only. The next night we went o a special puglian buffet in the piazza, this time E70. I was surprised the buffet was almost the same as night before with a few dishes added, but again all low cost ingredients. The third night we went for pizza E35, the special antipasti starters again were just dishes taken from the buffet. On the forth night we went to the special children's restaurant, were they have an area for kids to play - nothing put on at all just an area for them to run in. This time we waited 2.5hrs for our food and our children missed the disco which was only one once during our stay cost about e250, the food was very average no where near as good as we get in our local Italian restaurant. The next night we got a taxi to eat out, cost of taxi e150 - you have no choice this is all the hotel offer you. We spoke to many holiday makers while we were there, all of them felt the same as us, lovely place the prices they charged for the food had no correlation to the quality of what was being served. There was issues being caused by the food in almost every restaurant, people were complaining, for example we went to the beach club one lunch time, we had booked a table, on arrival to the empty restaurant I was told the hotel was full and we couldn't book a table, eventually the lady let us sit down. We were told the children had to eat off the adult menu or we all had to eat together at the kids buffet behind us outside. I asked if I get the kids food from there and bring it in to the restaurant for them, I was told no so we ordered off the adult menu. However all around us as the tables filled up some people were allowed to take their children to the kids buffet. The table next to us were told no too. Why were some people allowed and others not? This was the case always, some people were allowed to order pizza at the buffet for example - it was inconstant which annoys people if you have been told no then someone complains loudly and they get what they want The breakfast was probably the most basic selection we have ever seen, you could order form the kitchen but there was no menu so this isn't encouraged. We wouldn't go back for this reason as we are foodie's and the thought of eating a courgette fried in olive oil again which tastes of nothing but oil doesn't appeal to me at all! Also the spa looks lovely but my treatment wasn't very good.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
borgoegnazia2010, Direttore generale at Borgo Egnazia, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your candid feedback. I am happy to read that you liked Borgo Egnazia and our Villa.

I am sorry we didn’t meet your expectations with regards to our services, but I am happy to share with you that, thank you to feedback, we are implementing improvements.

We have added new kid’s activities with many more outside games which are even more engaging for the children;

We are improving our restaurants in terms of food quality and variety, adding new dishes to all our buffets and creating delicious gastronomic a la carte menus. Last but not least our breakfast offering has been augmented with an even wider selection, including "live" hot dishes.

I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Borgo Egnazia for you to experience all the gastronomic improvements we have made and planning for imminent implementation.

Warmest regards,
crazytreamtravel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We spent a week at the Borgo and we had a wonderful family vacation. We were travelling with our 2 year old son.

The hotel itself is absolutely beautiful and the staff was very friendly. The kids pool was excellent and our son spent hours playing in the shallow end of the pool. We also spend considerable time at both of the beaches. The adult pools are also very beautiful.

I would highly recommend the second beach (sandy beach) for kids. Additionally next to then sandy beach is an excellent, casual fish resturant (not part of hotel) that was the best food we had on our trip!

We also enjoyed renting bikes and riding around the the area and into town. There was little trafific and the the area was flat.

The room we had was beautiful, however it was not very "two year old" friendly as there was lots of breakable decoration. The only really compliant about the room was that are patio did not have deck chairs or even comfortable chairs (we were staying in La Corte). We our son was napping it would have been an excelletn time to sit out, but the folding chairs didn't really cut it.

We did have a negative expereince at La Frasca (the casual resturant) with very slow service (they just didn't have enough servers for the number of people) and the quality of the food was average. We did return a second time and it improved. Overall the food in the hotel is good, but not really up to the standard of the area or the quality of the hotel.

One of the nights there was a dinner in the main square of the hotel with music which we absolutely loved.

We didn't care for the kids nursery/camp. We found the staff uninterested and not very attentive, particularly when compared to other hotels we have stayed at. At first we thought this was just a one off bad experience, but around the kids pool while talking with other parents (with kids of a similar age) we found that others had a similar expereince. A concern for what is suppossed to be a child friendly hotel.

I did play golf one afternoon and the course was very good.

The entire vacation is expensive and if you are on a budget this is not the place to go.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

I concur with some of the earlier reviewers.

I think it best to get the bad points out the way first, but bear in mind we REALLY liked our stay here.

Firstly the food is a bit hit and miss. Breakfast is fine, and overall the standard of food is good, but not up to the 5* standard of the rest of the resort. The smart restaurant (no kids) is excellent, the others were good, but overpriced. I am happy to accept very high prices in a resort if the food is excellent, but it is not that. We had one shocking meal (by the pool), one excellent (Due Camini) and the rest middling. Puglia is famous for its food and the best (and chapest by a mile) meal we had was the one night we went out of the resort to Il Cortiletto.

The service is generally very good and 95% of our interactions with the staff were very positive. Most of the staff are extremely nice and accommodating, but some are overworked for sure. The only bad aspect of service was around the pool where it was often hard to find or attract the attention of the waitresses.

The positives far outweigh the negatives above, however. We were travelling with our 18month old son and the children's pool and creche were a godsend. All the staff there were fantastic and our son LOVED it...! There is an adorable kids restaurant where they can have lunch and tea at little tables and chairs and that was brilliant.

The general decor is really good and the rooms are done to a high standard, as is the whole place actually. What is so clever is that it is a very family-friendly resort but you could also hang out at the main pool and have no idea of that!

Overall very positive experience and we would definitely go back. I just hope they sort the food and some aspects of the service.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our first visit to the Borgo after falling in lust with all the pictures and features on its facebook page. A week in mid-July, perfect weather, stayed in a townhouse-like suite in the Borgo (bedroom upstairs, living room downstairs). Our second visit to Puglia, after staying at the Masseria Torre Maizza about 6 years ago.

Borgo is gorgeous. The architecture is beautiful, top quality materials and detailing (aside from the Ikea-like drawers in the suites, which let down the rest of it). The whole place is stunning. Never a boring angle at all kinds of time of day, a feast for the visual senses.

Three pools, one for families with smaller kids (not us), two others side by side for a quieter time (officially not for under-12s, but the rule isn't really a rule, more of a polite suggestion). Two beach clubs you can either walk to or take the hotel club car or cycle to. The beach is not that impressive, the sea usually wavy, but it's a nice change from the pools and the sea is clean (not a given in the Med these days).

Upsides: alongside the charming architecture, the staff are equally charming and, well, exceptional. Really helpful, truly a great bunch of people, every single one. Breakfast buffet (and staff) sensational; dinner buffet (and staff) as well. Spa (and staff) too. The bike rental is worth a mention: they have done a great job sourcing all kinds of bikes and buggies for adults and kids, including two very fun and whacky 4 and 6 seater pedal-pushed four-wheelers that are a must, especially for a trip through the golf course to the beach. The place really has a feel of an authentic Puglian seaside town. We will be returning, without a doubt. If you have young kids, they will LOVE it.

The disappointments: the food and drinks menu at the pool and at the beach need a MAJOR rethink. This is Puglia, after all! And yet, the salads/sandwiches you can get poolside or on your beach lounger are basically ham and cheese sandwiches. Surely the chefs can come up with mouth-watering alternatives? (this is the kind of resort where sitting by the pool is so comfortable that the last thing you want is to get up, put clothes on, and head to one of the restaurants). And the prices poolside for this very basic fare--painful. The same applies to the beach. Three or four interesting focaccias, a Puglian take on a club sandwich, a couple of REAL salads, more generous portions (and at a more reasonable cost), would be a massive improvement to the enjoyment factor.

The other disappointment is the beach. I think more of an effort could be made with the landscaping, I don't know, just a few touches. It feels like less of an effort has been put into it than the main hotel.

Not a lot to complain about, then. But we really hungered for something mouth-watering on our loungers!

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Flawless. Beautiful resort with amazing attention to detail. Immaculate rooms and impeccable Service. Cannot wait to return! Toddler facilities are fantastic especially the dining area for Kids. Cannot recommend them enough.

• Stayed August 2012
Vilnius, Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

This is true paradise for vacations in Italy! We have experienced a lot of hotels and places in the nothern part of Italy, but it's not comparable. Borgo Egnazia it's a real gem! If You are looking for a good quality hotel with perfect service, with perfect location, food and etc. - this is the place! We were spellbound by staff helpfullness and service quality everywhere-in the beach, in the restaurant, in the reception, in the children club, pool area...everywhere. The hotel very clean, very stylish and original. In very calm place and ideal to explore the culture, villages, cities... The children club with it's staff were great, we couldn't take our children out :) All of us are dreaming about our next vacations at Your hotel! Thank You and please keep on such quality!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Borgo Egnazia? Share your experiences!