Karen and I stayed here for just two nights in late May 2004 on a driving tour that took in various parts of northern Italy and Croatia. This is a classic Alistair Sawday entry. A bit quirky but good value for money and much more characterful than the usual fare.
Directions proffered by the hotel are crap. The signs referred to have been taken down. After a long drive down through France taking an hour going round in circles within just a few miles of the hotel was not fun. Invest in a good map. But after that hiccup, all was well. If your travelling without your own transport - forget this place - stay on the lakeside.
At these prices you don't expect luxury. Our room was in the annexe and was basic but ok. Importantly, the bathroom was spotless and modern.
The highight of this hotel is the dinner. Five courses of Italian home cooking, no choice, a reasonably -priced wine list and a log fire ( it was May and in the mountains). The view from the dining room is stunning. The food is, at these prices, exceptional. However, you eat what you are given and you dine when you are told. (You veggies out there need to check what the form is.)
Staff are multi-lingual and very attentive and helpful if a little chaotic. Recommended.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the lush green countryside in the heart of a valley which lies between Lake Como and Lake Lugano, at an altitude of 850 metres and at only one hour's distance from Milan, stands the Villa Simplicitas - a large nineteenth century residence. Renovated in 1981, the Villa has been transformed into a quaint hotel, surrounded by meadows and centuries-old chestnut trees. The sitting-room, with a large open-fireplace and a billiard room with a billiard table which dates back to when the house was built, are on the ground floor: the ten guest rooms have comfortable wrought iron and brass beds and bedsteads and antique furniture. The restaurant is also situated on the ground floor on a terrace with a spectacular panoramic view, illuminated in the gentle summer evenings by candlelight. The international cuisine includes also typical dishes and specialities from Lombardy. To enjoy the peace and tranquillity of the countryside, rambling around the fields and in the surrounding woods are a favourite pastime of our guests. Golf and tennis facilities are in the vicinity. Nearby horse lovers are also catered for with long rides in the woods and lessons for the less experienced. Due to the altitude and abundant vegetation, even during the warmest months of July and August, the evening brings a pleasant temperature which, together with silence, incredibly facilitates deep slumber. Our guest are from all over as well as Italian people who appreciate the rare amenities that the Villa Simplicitas is able to provide. Opening of restaurant in low season not always coincides with opening of the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Venere, Booking.com, Tingo, Priceline and BookingOdigeoWL so you can book your Villa Simplicitas & Solferino reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Simplicitas Solferino
- Villa Simplicitas & Solferino Italy/San Fedele Intelvi, Como