We stayed at the Bahia Principe San Juan from April 11 to April 18. Having stayed at a Gran Bahia Principe in the Mayan Riviera last year, our expectations were a little higher than they may have been otherwise, despite allowing for the difference between a five star and a four resort. The Bahia Principe San Juan did not disappoint.
It was fairly quiet during our stay. As a result, a number of the amenities such as the beach bars were closed but this was understandable. We never had trouble obtaining seatings at the buffet or a la carte restaurants nor finding a comfortable palapa on the beach. I would love to go back and see the resort in full swing but enjoyed the easy accessabiiliy
The staff, although perhaps not quite as welcoming as we have experienced in Mexico, are friendly and accommodating. They work very hard and made our trip an experience to remember. The animation team are top-notch. They do an amazing job - pumping enthusiasm and energy into everything they do, no matter how many times they must do it.
Check in with a young trainee was efficient and pleasant. We weren't thrilled with the view from our Diamond Club balcony and asked if we might move to another room. Joel, was most accommodating and we were moved into new digs, with a lovely view of the beach, in no time.
Our room, although smaller than the junior suites we have enjoyed in the past, was clean, comfortable and more than adequate for our needs. Except for the day our regular housekeeper had her day off, our room was cleaned and made up by 11 AM every morning. The air conditioning isn't the strongest, but the temperature always cooled off beautifully at night. A few hours with AC on while we were at dinner cooled the room off sufficiently to be comfortable and we were able to sleep with the AC off and the balcony door open. Water pressure isn't overly strong but quite adequate (I have long, thick, curly hair and had no trouble rinsing out shampoo). I love a good hot shower and have no complaints about the water temperature. The coffee provided in the rooms is phemonenal! Loved it!
The food in the a la carte restaurants was good, as was the service. The buffet was as expected except that, at every meal there was at least one (usually more) stand-out item that made us say "Oh my God, that is SOOOO good?". The fish and chicken are particularly well prepared. The juice bar and egg/omelet station every morning are spectacular, as is the pasta station at lunch and dinner. I have never had calamari so tender as I had on two occasions in the buffet. The vegetables and pasta are cooked perfectly al dente. And, although it may sound odd, the deep fried beef is just awesome!
The animation team is second to none. These kids pump so much joy, energy and enthusiasm into everything they do despite the long hours they put in every day catering to over-privileged Europeans and North Americans (that would include me). They are absolutely amazing and will do everything they can to make your trip a memorable experience.
The beach is beautiful! We have been to Cancun and the Mayan Riviera, and this is our favourite beach. Long, sandy, gorgeous, clear water and beautiful surrounding terrain. Every day we were there was a green flag day. There are sand bags which take away from the view somewhat but they are they are doing the job they were intended to do - preserving and expanding the beach so that we may enjoy it now and for years to come. Having kept a close eye on Trip Advisor reports prior to our trip, I was very concerned about sand fleas but am very happy to report, neither my husband nor I had any trouble. The resort is very diligent in spraying every morning and evening.
We have no complaints regarding the beach vendors. They kept a fairly low profile and if we avoided eye contact, they did not bother us. If you do venture down to "Plaza India" at the end of the beach, be prepared for high-pressured sales tactics. Odds are, you WILL buy something whether you mean to or not. I purchased a number of souvenirs from Raphael and probably paid too much for them, but I paid no more than I was happy to pay and helped to support the local economy. You will find better deals in the shops up the road at the Pueblo Principe. I love this feature of the Bahia chain. You find all the souvenirs that you need at reasonable prices on site if you so choose.
We travelled with Sunquest, but were unable to catch up the Sunquest rep to arrange an off-site excursion. Joan from HotelBeds took very good care of us and worked closely with the Transat rep to arrange a half-day horse riding excursion for us. It was a $55 US per person excursion that was worth every penny. We loved it. The countryside was so beautiful I was moved to tears.
I would highly recommend a trip to Puerto Plata and particularly to the Bahia Principe San Juan. You will receive excellent value for your money. My husband and I hope to be fortunate enough to return someday.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, Minigolf, Football Pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 4 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 548 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Priceline, EasyToBook and Hotels.com so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan