I went to the Bahia Principe from Feb 3-10 2013. I was down with a very large group for a wedding. 2 parts to this review.
1 - For Weddings: The Bride and Groom had a hell of a time. Everything they were told they got was more or less taken away from them and there were extra costs all over the place. Extra charge for the minister, extra charge for pictures, put into a crappy room with no view, broken shower, broke AC, it was awful! They did get moved after many complaints to a better area - where they should have been in the first place with a nice view of the beach. They never got any of the extras in their room they were suppose to have. If it wasn't for Annie - their entire wedding experience would have been a complete flop and they probably would have not bothered at all! I would not recommend this resort for a wedding.
2 - My own vacation. Everything with the wedding aside I had a great time. My room was nice and kept clean. Close to the main hall/pool/beach. Room 1111 section A - main level. Yes it can be a bit noisy at first but the activities in the main areas wrap up around 11pm so if you are one that must have everything quite get a place further away. The food in the buffet was great, lots of choice. Things did get a bit repetitive but no major complaints. The a la cartes - Italian is GROSS, we were told the pizza was amazing. - BLAH! The best BY FAR was Mediterranean, was the best food ever! There were lots of chairs available by the beach and pool. Always some form of entertainment going on. I went snorkeling with a group of people - through the beach vendor - and had an AMAZING time! The maids / fridge-filers were great. Give a few dollars with a note in the fridge of what you want and they were sure to accommodate. The beach vendors just off the resort were a bit aggressive, but if you stand your ground you can get a great deal. For my first time away I had a great time.
There were some sand flea bites if you were on the beach as night/as the sun went down. If you don't want them, wear long pants and shoes/socks while walking on the beach at night.
At lot of the really bad reviews seem to be because they went during off season.
Room was very clean, no gross bugs. Some bugs come from the flowers they put in your room.
I left my clothes in my suitcase just to make sure no bugs got in my clothes from the closet.
Beaches are not white sand - but there are some white sand beaches around the area you can visit on an excursion.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facilities and services 3 pools BAHIA SPA (additional charge) Sports facilities: gym, tennis court, Minigolf, Football Pitch... Water activity centre Motorised sports (additional charge) WiFi access in the lobby (1 hour free per day/device) and in rooms (additional charge) Wedding gazebo Main restaurant and 3 specialty restaurants 4 bars Playa Grande Golf Course just 40 minutes from the hotel Convention / Meeting centre Pueblo Principe: shows, live music, bars, stores, karaoke, casino and disco Rooms 548 rooms including 2 types: Suite & Standard The Standard rooms are equipped with: King size bed or 2 full size beds Fully-equipped bathroom: Bathtub plus shower, wash basin, hair dryer and magnifying mirror Bathroom amenities Air conditioning Ceiling fan Safe (additional charge) Mini-bar (Restocked daily) Direct phone line (additional charge for external calls) Flat screen TV Coffee set WiFi (additional charge) The Suite rooms have the same equipment as the Standard rooms but also include: Ironing set Sitting area with sofa Pool towel available in room Bathrobe and slippers Evening turn-down service International newspapers Terrace or balcony Children Bahia Scouts The hotel is perfect for families, offering a range of facilities tailored especially for children, including the following: Children's pool Mini Club with daytime activities Evening Mini Disco Babysitting service for children aged up to 12 (additional charge) Other Services Medical service (additional charge) Pharmacy (additional charge) Specialised service for organising weddings, incentive trips, events and anniversaries ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Despegar.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Grand Bahia Principe San Juan reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- San Juan Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe San Juan Puerto Plata
- Bahia Principe Dominican Republic
- Bahia Principe San Juan Dominican Republic
- Dominican Republic Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe San Juan Resort
- Bahia Principe Sj
- Puerto Plata Bahia Principe
- Bahia Principe Resort San Juan