“Devon at it's best” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The George Inn

The George Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Chardstock
The George Inn
You added The George Inn to your Saves list
Chard Street, Chardstock EX13 7BX, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chardstock
Devon
“Devon at it's best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Chardstock is a lovely little village and the George Inn, at it's heart, is a real find. Full of character with helpfull, friendly staff and really good food (mostly local produce). We had lunch here with a group of friends and were treated like royalty - nothing was too much trouble and everything was of the highest standard - do try it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Devon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012 via mobile

A really lovely evening. We did not stay at the hotel but visited for the first time for a meal. The ambience of the George is lovely. The attention to cleanliness is outstanding with the best polished wine glasses I think I have ever seen in a restaurant. The food was beautifully presented, and of a high standard. The service was quick and the staff very amicable and also extremely accommodating regarding my wheat allergy. Altogether an excellent meal. Highly recommended.

• Stayed June 2012
Cambridge
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

A really great find! We searched ages looking for a nice, cosy, comfy and homely place to stay for 4 couples to spend a weekend away and we finally found and settled on the George Inn.

tripadvisor has the wrong photo but the Inn's own website gives a good and fair account of the pub where the pictures and description are pretty accurate. My only slight disappointment were the bathrooms that are due a refurbishment but they are clean and absolutely adequate. When they are finally refurbished (sometime in 2012 I believe) the rooms will be quite pleasant.

Be prepared though that if staying for any length of time, there is very limited hanging space as there are no wardrobes. For a couple of nights though, the hanging space is adequate enough.

More importantly, we found the hosts very friendly as were the staff who made time to talk to us and even share a joke. The food was excellent (I can recommend the Chataubriand) and reasonably priced. There's a good wine list and I was especially pleased that there was a good selection of local ales - all well kept.

Overall we had a lovely time, had a great breakfast (which is truly superb!!), there are nice walks along lanes or footpaths from the Inn and the village itself is very pleasant.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Tucked away in Devon The George Inn had everything I was expecting!!! Nice rooms, lovely hosts in Simon and Malcolm and a very warm welcome. Food is of a good quality and reasonably priced and rooms are comfortable. I have no hesitation in recommending The George as either a stop over or holiday base to explore the delights that Devon has to offer.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Crediton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

A really nice place for lunch and I would recommend eating here.
Food is tasty, well cooked and presented. Service is good and welcoming.
Good value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Somewhere between Alicante and Valencia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2011

My husband and I stayed overnight at The George at the beginning of December 2011 whilst visiting the area with a view to purchasing a new home. We found the 'new' landlords welcoming and helpful...even making sure that the heating in our room was put on in plenty of time before our arrival. Yes I agree that the bathrooms would benefit from refurbishment but I believe that is already in hand.

When we arrived for dinner the pub quiz was in full swing and everyone looked to be having a great time in front of the roaring log fire. The food was excellent and the landlords/staff genial and informative about the local area. They even got up early the next morning to make sure the fire stayed in so that we could eat our equally delicious breakfast sitting close by.

I would recommend The George Inn to everyone and would definitely stay again should I be in the area. Thanks for a great evening.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Chard, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

My partner and I had moved to the area a year ago and had never visited before due to hearing the food wasnt up to standards. So we decided to go last night for a drink as we had been to most other local pubs and wanted to try somewhere new. As soon as we walked in we were greated by warm and friendly staff. The pub layout is amazing and feels like it has so much history, it has a particular ambience about it and I instantly felt relaxed. It probably now is my favourite pub due to the layout, the beams, the cosy seating areas, lovelt roaring fire, the mezzaine level with the pool table, i could go on. After a drink we decided to eat after being drawn in the the menu. We were seated in a cosy section of the pub by a very well mannered waiter whos service was spot on. The food was out of this world!! I cannot rave enough about how delicious it was. I have eaten in some fine establishments in my time and I could not fault the food. We were made to feel special and really really enjoyed our evening at The George. I highly recommend it and will deinately be going back.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The George Inn? Share your experiences!