“Lovely old English Pub with extensive menu.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Church House Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Rattery
The Church House Inn
You added The Church House Inn to your Saves list
Rattery TQ 10 9LD, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Rattery B&B and Inns
Angmering, United Kingdom
“Lovely old English Pub with extensive menu.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

Lovely setting and quaint old English pub with extensive menu. Very friendly landlord and staff and a definite return visit when we are in the area later in the year. Would have no hesitation in recommending.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

Organised a party of 12 to go for a family birthday. Had read mixed reviews on here so wasn't sure what to expect.
We had a really enjoyable evening. The pub is lovely, very 'olde worlde' - beams, open fires.
There really is a huge choice on the menu and the food we had was excellent.
Really friendly staff and landlord too.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had heard good reports from friends about this establishment and when I went with them for an evening meal I was not disappointed. We all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The service was friendly and good. Although the wait was a trifle long, due to the food being prepared personally for each customer, it was absolutely delicious. It was piping hot and extremely tasty. As for price, it seemed a little high but that is in comparison with fast food outlets and I guess it was reasonable for this sort of restaurant. The atmosphere in the old-fashioned Inn was lovely and very welcoming. I want to go again soon!!

Room Tip: I only visited the restaurant
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Approx30years ago I went there and was served a piece of meat that was so bad it stank. I put it in a empty glass and went quietly to the kitchen to inform them. The landlord pushed me out of the kitchen shouting and causing a scene causing me of planting the piece of meat. The other dinners told me they were shocked by his behaviour. I vowed never to return. Last week friends invited me there to dinner, I was visiting from my home in Spain, I agreed as was shire it would have changed hands. No he was still there. Friday night warm July evening only two tables taken. Alarm bells rang. My steak and ale pie had a puff pastry top and I suspect it was bought in and heated. My friends wife ordered hake. When it arrived it was thin very dry and covered in bread crumbs. She tried it and sent it back. He said the chef didn't do a good job and replaced with a tasteless piece of fish, hake?. Avoid this place and the landlord, it seems others do.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We were at the Church House on sunday 2nd June for Lunch. It's a great old coaching inn with a nice little garden and the requisite beams & table mats with the pub's picture on. Nice selection of ales / beers / ciders and very friendly bar staff.
The food however is another matter entirely. We waited an hour for ours (and we ordered 10 minutes after the pub opened at 12). Admittedly the staff did say there would be a bit of a wait (why? why can't a pub kitchen cope with a few tables on a sunny saturday at the end of half term?). My steak was OK but not worth £16. My mother in law had salmon which was overcooked and came with a noxious white sauce which did contain tarragon but had been nowhere near the alleged white wine. My wife had a barely acceptable pie. My mum's roast was massive but seemed to have been sitting around a bit even though it was the start of lunch. My daughter liked her fish fingers - even though they were far too expensive at £6.
This pub needs to do only one thing - GET RID OF THE LUDICROUS MENU! There is a specials board with about 60 items on it and a separate menu with virtually every meal on earth somewhere within it. Cut the thing down & at least get some of the items right. This is the issue with so many country pubs - they're stuck in some kind of weird 70's menu disaster zone.
On a sunday - just have roasts and a veggie option. Do them well. That's it. If I do go again it'll be for the beer, not the food. I advise you strongly to do the same.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

We came here on a Sunday evening and absolutely loved it - the food was great, with the duck and orange pate particularly scrummy - the menu is very extensive (and not too expensive - around £10 for a main) and offers a great selection, although, as everything is home cooked, some items are not always available.
The landlord was charming, friendly and chatty, and the pub itself was lovely and cosy. The toilets were also immaculate. Overall, I would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

When you have lived for many years in the NE of Scotland, as we have you, will appreciate a real English pub at its best when you find one. Ray keeps a wonderful house with good ales and is a charming host. The menu is extensive and its good, sturdy pub food and not expensive. There is a huge range of fish on offer and if you order trout, make sure you are very hungry. Great venison sausages with mash and real steak and kidney pudding with extra gravy on the side. The laconic chef is marvelous to chat to and the pub can be filled with wonderful characters that makes eves dropping on conversations a joy. A country delight.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to The Church House Inn? Share your experiences!