“STAY AWAY!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Inn

Gateway Inn
You added Gateway Inn to your Saves list
Gateway Inn
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   800 Harvie Heights Rd, Harvie Heights, Alberta T1W 2W2, Canada   |
Edmonton, Canada
“STAY AWAY!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

I was compelled to write a review just to let other travellers know to keep away from this place. We pulled into the Gateway Inn on a late Friday evening after a long 10 hours on the road. It was pouring rain and the sign said open but the door was locked. My husband rang the bell twice before a man (caretaker) stuck his head out of a second floor window and asked my husband questions for 10 minutes before finally coming downstairs to let him in the door. The rooms were old and not very clean. Furniture/fixtures are from 1970. There was a burnhole in the beadspread and the TV was fuzzy. The next morning we discovered there was no extra toilet paper and no phone to buzz the caretaker to ask for some. I got dressed to walk to the main office to get some and the door was locked. A woman unlocked it and when I explained the problem she acted like she didn't believe me. Soon after, I went to take a shower and the cold tap did not work and twisted off in my hand!! At this point, I was very UNhappy about the situation and went back to the main office to complain and get our money back. The woman took her time to unlock the door for me and told me not to take my frustrations out on her. She didn't know where the caretaker was so had to go find him. I went with her and when we found him he acted like he didn't believe me. We did get a refund but it took a lot of hassle@!!! BEWARE!!

Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Okotoks, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2010

We stayed here because they had a cheap ski and stay package for couples at $75 a person. The hotel could use a little upgrading and there wasn't much to do cause the hotel was a few mins aways from everything, but it was clean and average and close to Mount Norquay where we went snowboarding. We would stay again because the package is cheap and its only for a night. The Lady at the front desk seemed nice too :-)

• Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
Stafford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2009

We never actually stayed at the Gateway Inn, we had booked it by e-mail for just one night but when we arrived there was no-one there! We had given our arrival time and were very tired having just arrived a couple of hours earlier from UK. We knocked and rang the bell even telephone but nobody answered, I had confirmed my time of arrival as well! We hung around for half an hour and then left. By this time we had decided that the place was dirty , dark and creepy, co we went a few yards down the road and stayed at the Banff Boundary Motel and it was wonderful! The people at Gateway are dishonest they take peoples money but plan not to be there when guests arrive!! I am just waiting for my bank statement to arrive and if they have taken out money without my permission I am going to sue them - so keep away!!!

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Harvie Heights hotels

Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2009

Dyane is a very welcoming hostess and made us feel at home. We were disappointed that the carpets were so dirty, which is why we gave the rooms and cleanliness a low rating. However, Dyane assured us that the carpets would be cleaned before we bring family from Australia to stay for a week from 4th July 2009.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2009

I have stayed at the Gateway Inn with a large team of field assistants during my visits to Exshaw and Canmore to work on a land reclamation research project. The cabins at the Gateway Inn, especially "The palace", has been a home for us after the long days of work.

The affordable rates, the cabin with kitchen, the location close to Canmore and Exshaw, all has been ideal for us. The managers, first Valentina and now Dyane, have been great, kind and helpful, making sure that our stay is as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Staying at the Gateway Inn may provide the naturalist with some additional joy as deer or elk will graze in the mornings and evenings within the hotel property. For travelers that enjoy an old style environment, affordable fees and a warm welcome from the manager, this is sure the place to stay!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver, B.C.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

On our way to Vancouver from Calgary, we spied the Gateway Inn in Harvie Heights.
In the back of my mind there were Questions, ( if I had seen the older reviews, I would have stayed away!) But what a surprise to be welcomed so pleasantly to a clean back room, not too noisy, considering the highway & train tracks. The bed was comfortable, & we were offered more blankets, etc. by the manager who was kind & efficient. In the morning we were astounded to find snow on the car, but also could see the picnic tables in a pretty little forest to the east of the motel- there seems to be a clean-up going on at the Gateway!
Old-fashioned accommodation at a good price.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Middlesbrough
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2008

My friend and I stayed here twice on our trip to Canada. We had intended to stay in Banff but were shocked by the accomm prices, so we drove 10 minutes down the road to Harvie Heights - on your left just before you get into Canmore - and found The Gateway Inn. At first glance it does not appear very inviting, but now with new management - a very friendly Irish lady called Dyane - we have no doubt things will rapidly change. The rooms are warm, very clean and comfortable but would benefit from a general updating. This motel is not like the glitzy places to be found nearby - it is a good, honest place to stay at an affordable rate and away from the 'tourist trap' of Banff. It is about 5 minutes from Canmore - a scenic location if ever there was one !!!!! All amenities are in Canmore, excellent hiking nearby. The highway and railway are quite close and a little noisy but more than made up for by the location. We can also recommend the 2 cabins also available. Secluded and comfortable. We would stay there again. Dyane will 'go the extra mile' to make you feel welcome, nothing too much trouble.

• Liked — Warm, Clean and comfortable. Value for money
  • Disliked — Slight degree of traffic noise
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!