“Couldn't Even Stay” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gateway Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Gateway Inn to your Saves list
Gateway Inn
2.0 of 5 Lodge   |   800 Harvie Heights Rd, Harvie Heights, Alberta T1W 2W2, Canada   |
Alberta
“Couldn't Even Stay”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

My family and I made a reservation in March/08 from the inn's website for July/08. When we arrived to the Motel/Cabins we didn't find what we had expected. The landscape was not kept, the cabins are very old and not very clean. The management wanted us to pay up-front without even seeing our room. We were told we would have a full kitchen and bathroom with a queen bed and double sofa. When we saw the cabin, the storm door didn't close and the windows didn't all have locking mechanisms on them. There were stains on the carpet and the stove had a huge dent in the door. We didn't see a shower or bath tub in the cabin, it was a small room with a toilet and sink and a hot water tank. We also had extreme difficulty with the management. We chose not to stay at the Gateway Inn and went elsewhere, cancelling our reservation.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Drumheller, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2007

Save yourself a bad experience - Stay away from this place. We reserved over the phone and were told check in time was 1500hrs. We arrived in Canmore and tried to check into this place and found the office closed. We tried for over two hours to check in - until after 1700 hrs. No one ever did show up. I complained to management the next day after driving all the way home. NO REFUND. I also found out through Mastercard that my credit card was charged one day prior to our arrival. I have sent a complaint to the Southern Alberta Better Business Bureau and will be buying space in all local newspapers in Alberta, telling all about this BAD experience. For management - this review is from Marty in Drumheller.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Travelers are raving about these Harvie Heights hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2007

I'm sure the same woman is still there.
DO NOT BOOK HERE.
We had prepaid reservations for 1 night and were very leery of the place when we drove into the parking lot. No cars and a bit overgrown. The office was empty and we rang the bell twice before assistance came and she seemed annoyed that we were bothering her. We asked to see the rooms before we signed in. The rooms seemed clean, but very dark, old and threadbare. The mattresses are about 4 inches thick and the doors are very thin. The place gave me an overall uneasy feeling.
The woman was waiting for us in the parking lot. We told her that the rooms were not acceptable and she yelled at us that "No one has ever complained before. Do what you want. You cannot have a refund." walked away and close the door on us. We felt creeped out enough about this place to drive away from 2 prepaid rooms without another place to stay in the height of the summer season!!
I'm attempting to contact the owners, better business and tourism board. I don't have a lot of hope for a refund, but hopefully this will save others.
This is a very inexpensive motel for the area. We did not expect luxury and had spent the previous 2 nights in smaller, older motel style accomodations that were fine.

• Stayed July 2007
cizera, Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2008
They booked for FOUR persons – two rooms; only three arrived.
They were not very nice.
There are no 4" mattresses here at The Gateway.
As they wanted to cancel, I told them if we rented the rooms, the credit card would be refunded as we had held the reservation for over two month for them.
One complained about loosing her passport and other documents. I suggested to her that that had nothing to do with the reservation as they were canceling without adequate notice, the details which were written to them in an E-mail.The reservation policy is created by the company that owns the property.

The property is clean, lawns always mowed and we pride our flower gardens.

There are 14 rooms and 4 cabins here at The Gateway - we are a team of 4 persons who clean, do the laundry, take the reservations, and man the desk in a 24 hour period.

I never once raised my voice with these people, as they were very rough, hostile and unpredictable in their behavior.

The Gateway Inn

England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2006

small motel on Highway 1, but very little traffic noise at night. Room, clean & comfortable, a bit small, bit dark because of trees outside. Small fridge and kettle which was very slow to boil.
Only problem was ice-making machine outside door which was rather noisy. No food service in the area, but only 5 mins drive to entry to Canmore with several takeaways, e.g Mcdonalds, Tim Horton etc and another 5 mins to downtown with plenty restaurants, shops etc. A good area to stay. Much cheaper than Banff, which is only 20 mins away. Magnificent views of mountains

A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2006

To any travellers planning to stay in Canmore, Alberta Please do not plan to stay at the Gateway Inn.
My family and I had a very bad expirence with the Gateway Inn. I had phoned the Gateway Inn in early March and spoke to the gentleman that takes the reservations. In this conversation a cabin was booked for 8 adults and 3 young children. My name, address, credit card info was taken and I was told I would receive a confirmation via email shortly thereafter.
A week passsed, I sent an email inquiring where our confirmation letter was. I in turn received a borderline sharp email informing me that no reservation is confirmed without a first night payment??
I then phoned and spoke to the gentleman again and re- confrimed all info, with relief that we had not lost our reservation. Now again expecting an email confirmation, I checked my email only to find the most unprofessional, rude email I have ever received.
When I did phone the Gateway Inn asking what was going on the lady who was the manager/owner hung up on me twice. My husband then phoned later and spoke to her. Bottom line the Gateway Inn saw no fault in the way we were treated, she was very rude and unprofessional and clearly uninterested that we had made this reservation 2 weeks prior. With a large group it is difficult to find accommidations. A mistake was obviously made by the gentleman taking our reservation, but this manager/owner treated my husband and I as though we had done something wrong.
All around very bad experience. Planning vacations
are stressful enough without dealing with a situation like this. I truely hope this report sheds a little light on what you may run into at the Gateway Inn, Canmore, Alberta.

Stayed March 2006
cizera, Manager at Gateway Inn, responded to this review, March 17, 2008
A new employee took this reservation accepting an American Express credit card, which is not accepted.
-Further, there was no notation of the number of people in this group.

When we wrote a follow-up E-mail to confirm the number of persons and obtain either a VISA or MasterCard and learned that the reservation was for 11 people, we immediately informed them by E-mail that the cabin was not available for the number of people in their group. That there was a misunderstanding as to their numbers - there were too many persons for this cabin and the reservation was not acceptable.

The woman phoned back repeatedly yelling about how we had ruined her life by not accepting the reservation for her family for this cabin, her parents and her sister’s family. There was nothing calm about her manner at all.
Rather than looking elsewhere, she seemed to think that yelling more would help her case.
(“Not proffessional at the Gateway Inn in Canmore, Alberta” )
I do not talk to people who yell at me on the phone and I told her I would hang up if she kept yelling, which I did. She telephone many times every day for days.
There was finally a normal conversation with her husband and he agreed.
Only a few days had passed since their first contact, they still had 4 months to find another more suitable accommodation.
Had these people not given the American Express card # it would likely have never come to our attention. They would have arrived and not been accommodated at the end of July.
The Gateway Inn

Red Lake, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

We had reservations booked at this Inn for 5 months in adavance for 11 people. Our Credit card number and personal info was given as we assumed everything was ready. We did not hear back from the Gateway Inn to make sure everything was confirmed. My sister sent an email making sure everything was all set(she was the one who booked the reservations). She recieved a very rude email stating that she did not give a deposit for the first night, but my sister had already given her Mastercard # and personal info. My sister then emailed her and told her she had given the gentleman who had took her call and she was under the assumption that the reason she was giving the man her M/C number was for the deposit. The lady then emailed my sister again in an extremely rude manner and said qoate "We cannot offer you accommodation as we DONOT have a unit to accommodate your size of group.
There has been a huge misunderstanding here - YOU DO NOT HAVE A RESERVATION HERE. Had you been straight forward as to the size of your group / this would have been made clear TO YOU from the start. Good Luck. The Gateway Inn" After reading this email my sister then tried phoning again and spoke to the same gentleman who then passed the phone saying "it's her". When the lady came on the phone she answered "ya?" and my sister was asking calmly and repestfully why she was recieving rude emails and all she wants to do is stay at this Inn. The lady then hung up on my sister and she tried to call again and the lady hung up again.
We do not know why they acted the way they did. My family does not at all reccomend staying at this Inn. They were rude and disrespectful and DO NOT know how to treat their customers or run a business. If you are travelling out West find somewhere other then THE GATEWAY INN which is located in CANMORE ALBERTA.

Been to Gateway Inn? Share your experiences!