“Our small double only just fitted in the room......” 3 of 5 stars

The Courtyard Hotel
West Street, Stanwick NN9 6QY, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stanwick
Kettering, United Kingdom
“Our small double only just fitted in the room......”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

Just been to the courtyard for a friends birthday party, we only live a few miles away but thought we would have a treat and stay over as it was 5 star!
Booked a double upgrade in the new stable block, First room was too singles and we asked to change as we are married, got a "small double" room, small being the word, the bed only just fitted in the room. We asked to swap again as it was really small, was told they were fully booked even though we were the first there by hrs.
The shower flooded the bathroom as the shower door was not big enough, and we had a one towel to share and 2 hand towels of which 1 we had to use to mop up the bathroom after a shower so we didn't slip. The television had that much interferance it was unbelievable to the point it was that annoying we turned it off.
Our friends rooms were massive with large bed and loads of room and a larger nicer bathrooms etc.
The price was £85 per room, our room was not worth that at all, this room should be at a reduced rate. Our friends room i would of been happy to pay the rate

Should have paid the £10.00 for taxi home!

Apart from that it the hotel was nice and its very clean and trying to be modern and staff are polite. Breakfast is amazing.....

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
HotelierStanwick, Owner at The Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2011
Thank you for your critiscism. It is always welcome,

I am sorry I was not given the chance to remedy the situation. These rooms are described as "small doubles" .as they have 4'6" beds. Because the hotel room you stayed in was a stable originally we could not make it any bigger.
The twin room was a larger room and we have more large rooms,in the main house but not near the party with your friends.
Extra towels are avaiable from reception. I have adjusted the shower head so it does not go beyond the walk in shower screen.

TV is now digital and the signal is not too strong until the switch over

Kind regards

Jo Bates

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Berkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2010

We stayed at the Courtyard on a Friday evening. We had a drink in the bar before having a meal in the restaurant. We were made to feel welcome straight away by the barman, Phil. We had a gorgeous meal in the lovely restaurant which has a very relaxed atmosphere. The rooms are really stylish and comfty and very close to the restaurant. There was a good selection for breakfast too. Will definitely come again!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2010

I have been to The Courtyard 4 times in the last 2 months, twice for lunch, then for a Wedding and for a Rudy Wedding Sunday Lunch, each time the food, service and the overall atmosphere has been fantastic. I also stayed the night after the wedding and the room was superb. I was lucky that the weather was also kind to me for all the events and we were able to make use of the beautiful out door space and gardens. Can't wait for another occasion to visit again. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2010
Marlow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

Beware....
In August I booked a room at the Courtyard for early October.
I've just been telephoned by them - a week before my stay - to say they haven't got a room for me (because they've take a booking for a wedding).
I guess it can happen - but I'm not best pleased....

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
neats33, Owner at The Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2010
We are very sorry that you will not be able to enjoy a stay at our Hotel. This is not an enjoyable scenario for either party.

The wedding in question has been booked for many months. This booking was an unfortunate case of double booking that happens in our industry. We have just started using online booking and your booking slipped through the net. We hope that we let you know far enough in advance to make an alternative booking and if we can be of any help in finding you somewhere else to stay, please let us know.

Once again, many apologies for the massive inconvenience and if you should ever want to try us out again we would be happy to have you.
Northants
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

I had my wedding day at The Courtyard Lodge at the end of August this year (2009). It is a beautiful venue and reasonably priced compared to others. I agree with the comments that the previous manager was not helpful or organised. However, the courtyard has now hired an extremely efficient wedding coordinator who restored my faith in the staff and venue entirely. On the wedding day itself all staff were on hand to meet my guests every need and there were more than enough staff to waitress the dinner. My husband and I had the most perfect day. My only criticisms are small but just. Firstly, the aisle was not made wide enough for my father and I to walk down together. Secondly, no one could hear the music we had selected for my entrance or when we exited - it simply wan't loud enough. Finally, we were a little disappointed to return to our room for our wedding night to find it had not been tidied/restocked etc as we had been told it would be. A small slice of romance is lost when you have to make your own bed and wash the mornings cups yourself! Despite these things I would still recommend holding your wedding at the Courtyard. The new wedding coordiantor does listen and I am sure these minor issues will quickly be ironed out so that they do not happen again. The courtyard has stunning grounds, an excellent chef (our food was delicious), and it is a reasonably priced wedding venue. Would I tell my best friend or a relative to marry there? Absolutely!

• Stayed August 2009
neats33, Online Marketing Communications Manager at The Courtyard Hotel, responded to this review, October 30, 2009
Response

Thank you so much for your review of The Courtyard and your positive criticism.This year has been hard without a separate room for the ceremony, for example, you can't hear how loud the music is from behind the bar with the shutter down. We do apologise. We are currently constructing a purpose built "Pavilion" 18 meters by 8 meters slightly larger than our marquee. This will be used for the ceremony and there will be lots of room for the aisle. It can also be used for the evening function if a band or loud music is the order of the day. Obviously doesn't help you, but we wanted to show you how your feedback can really help us to improve.

I think possibly your room was not made up because the housekeeping staff had left before you had finished getting ready for the ceremony? Again we are so sorry it was something we will never overlook again. Bringing this to our attention will ensure all other brides are more cossetted!

Thank you again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you back at The Courtyard again soon.
northampton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2009

My fiancee and I selected the Courtyard, initially to be for our entire wedding; unfortunately it was already booked on our wedding day, so we settled instead for staying overnight. My fiancee visited the establishment, and offered to pay for the room at the time of booking (July 2009). This was refused, staff stating that payment on the night was more than acceptable, and under no circumstances would we lose the room, as the wedding party for the Courtyard had only booked six rooms for the night in question.
Imagine our surprise then , to receive a call from Courtyard staff stating that our booking was cancelled, and offering us a local unrated B&B - FOR OUR WEDDING NIGHT!!
Despite protests and promises to call us back, staff were EXTREMELY unhelpful. They seemed to conveniently ignore the fact that we were a wedding party too.
Thank God I didnt book my wedding here.........I leave it up to you to make up your own mind about this so-called highly rated establishment.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback. Obviously we would prefer it to be positive, but we take all feedback seriously and will undertake our best endeavours to make improvements.

I feel that alot of your comments are in relation to the previous manager of The Courtyard, who has now left the team. We have now employed a new team of staff including a wedding and events planner and a bar and restaurant manager. The aim being to provide all of our customers with a five star experience every time that they visit us. We are also extending the premises so that we can avoid disappointing any more brides in the future.

Again, please accept our apologies and we would love it if you would visit us again soon.
Northants
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

I have visited The Courtyard several times, for different events, including a family members wedding, Christmas party, Soul Night, and have always found it to be a very warm and friendly experience. The latest visit was August this year for a meal with a friend, the food was delicious, very reasonably priced and the service was second to none, with a warm welcome from the owner himself! I would highly reccommend a visit!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends

Been to The Courtyard Hotel? Share your experiences!