“Not impressed” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Aotea Lodge

Aotea Lodge
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Porirua
Aotea Lodge
You added Aotea Lodge to your Saves list
65 Whitford Brown Avenue | Papakowhai, Porirua, New Zealand   |
Ranked #2 of 3 Porirua B&B and Inns
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Not impressed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We stayed at Aotea Lodge for 2 nights last week. Upon arrival, we waited in line for around 10 minutes (behind another waiting customer,) whilst a phone call was taken and the man in the office bickered with someone on the phone. I found this behaviour unprofessional. Once I was at the counter, my booking couldn't be found (I had an internet print out with reference number but the man said 'we don't use those.') Eventually, he thought he found my booking, only for it to be double the amount I was quoted on my print out, and for the wrong amount of people. When it was finally established this was not my booking, things got moving and I was given my room key and told where to park. No assistance was offered to help me carry my bags to the upstairs unit (no lift, plus I am 5 months pregnant and had a toddler with me as well.) The room was not clean - visible hairs on sheets, floor, shower, tea bag stains on walls, surfaces not wiped, generally filthy. I gave it a 'once-over' myself using a suspicious looking dishcloth. The room was noisy, cleaners used foul language while yelling to each other from upstairs/downstairs. If you are the type of person to be concerned with cleanliness (most people are,) I wouldn't recommend staying here. Disappointing and yucky!
The only reason we stayed here was the convenience to the Police College.

Room Tip: Choose a room at another establishment.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our stay at Aotea Lodge was a frustrating and disappointing experience! There was confusion about our booking and although we had booked for 3 nights there was only a room for us for 2 nights. When we complained that there was a mistake the manager would not admit fault on their part even though I had a print out from their office showing the days we were booked! He was patronising and condescending in his attitude. I would expect better from people dealing with the public. Will not stay there again and would not recommend Aotea Lodge. Alex A

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We booked a superior family suite for 2 nights. The shower had several hairs on the front and the splash guard along the shower edge was bright green with dirt. . The bathroom, for a family was grossly inadequate. It was so small you couldn't swing a cat in it. The Shower, basin and toilet all in a room the size of a cupboard.. No air conditioning, no dishwasher.
On the plus side, the beds were comfortable and the towels were thick and fluffy, and we did have a nice meal in the restaurant.
The pool looked inviting, but was inside the reception area and surrounded by the office and restaurant, which would have meant it was like swimming in a fishbowl. We expected more for $175.00 per night a couple and $25 night for any other guests.

Room Tip: I would be inclined to inspect the un it when I arrived and if it's not up to scratch go somewhe...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Wellington, New Zealand
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We stayed at the Aotea Lodge last weekend as a group. Our room was double-booked for the last evening, and another couple in our group also had a double booking for their last night too. It was eventually sorted out in the end with the other booking transferred to another room. I don't know what would have happened if it was fully booked.

No point trying to discuss this with the manager because he's always right. They have two booking systems, one on the computer and one in a book. They won't admit that they have made mistakes, using the two separate bookings to get things their way.

The Manager is particularly vile. Swearing at one of our group, and blaming the bride for spoiling her own wedding. Who does that? The Manager of Aotea Lodge!

Don't stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nelson, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

Stayed 17 nights here over the xmas, new year period visiting family and friends. We'd arrived just before xmas at our pre booked accommodation at the aotea motor camp to be told that they had just given our cabin away. Came here to the Aotea Lodge and were very relieved and grateful that they took us in at short notice. Had a wonderful time here in Porirua/Titahi Bay but it was only a complete success because of our stay here at the lodge. The staff really are angels - they're friendly, caring, happy and very efficient. Our room overlooked the car park to the lagoon and must be well insulated cos we hardly noticed the traffic below. And the room was delightful. It was spacious and clean, had all that we needed with a lovely ensuite and the cleaning girls were always efficient. The location is fantastic - 3 mins to the shopping centre and so easy to get on the motorway. We were definitely the winners here and we can't thank these people enough for providing us with such a wonderful place to stay. Would I stay here again? Hell yes! And my family and friends will also recommend this place to everyone they know from out of town.

to find a room to stay. And what a stay

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Whanganui
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My husband discovered this place when he stayed there while on a conference. This was my first visit. Just off the main road into Wellington, it is easy to get to yet not too far from the city itself.
The motel overlooks Aotea Lagoon with its duck pond, children's' playground, miniature railway and walkway which encircles the lagoon. It is also possible from the gardens and from the restaurant to see full-size trains travelling in and out of Wellington.
Most of the units appear to be terraced in groups of 6 ( 3 up, 3 downstairs) up the hill bordering Whitford Brown Ave., so the parking was very good outside the units. There is an extra outside glass wall along the front of the units, forming a corridor protected from the worst of the weather.
Our studio unit backed on to the road, but we heard very little noise from it. In fact, the xpelair in the bathroom was the noisiest thing we heard. I was surprised to find a full-size bath in the bathroom.
It was nice to have the breakfast bar in the kitchenette area for our snacks. Whilst the surfaces looked clean, they felt slightly tacky/oily, so that my magazine briefly stuck to the coffee table.Perhaps someone was over-enthusiastic with the polish! However, the beds were clean and comfortable and all the lights and appliances worked well. The compendium in the room was a little out of date, referring to analogue TV, but that is a minor point.
The restaurant we only used at breakfast, when there was a good selection of cereals, fruit and yoghurt available. The bread looked home made and was very nice, not your everyday sliced loaf.
There was a good selection of maps and brochures in the foyer, including one about cycling and walking tracks around the Porirua area.
Receptionist very efficient and made a note of my problem with the coffee table. Quick and easy check-in and check-out .Would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Tokoroa, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

We used this venue for a presentation and accommodation for a group who were then travelling on to Christchurch. The conference room was spacious and met the need of our group and it meant that the staff of Aotea Lodge were able to deal with the catering without interruption to us. Unfortunately as the room was upstairs we were just lucky that we didn't have kaumatua requiring assistance as this may have proven difficult. The staff were very friendly and I would rate them 10/10 as nothing seemed to be to difficult to accomodate us and our requirements. The salmon we had for dinner was absolutely DELICIOUS!!! 10/10 and our compliments to the chef. The accommodation was perfect and as the Aotea Lagoon is within walking distance we used this opportunity to get some exercise in. I would recommend the Aotea Lodge to everyone!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Aotea Lodge? Share your experiences!