“A Very Reasonable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Knowle
Kidderminster, United Kingdom
“A Very Reasonable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night in September before travelling on to Birmingham airport. On first impression, public areas very clean and staff very friendly. Having read the reviews I had pre-booked a quiet room to the rear of the Hotel. Room very clean and tidy with no complaints other than there was no phone. We questioned reception regarding this, to which they stated that head office in their infinate wisdom had had them removed from all rooms. We feel that a phone is necessary in case of emergency. Bar prices are quite high. Food in the restaurant is nothing special and predictable. Breakfast was very disapointing. In this day and age - I would expect a buffet. When you dont eat tinned tomatoes and baked beans, an egg, a sausage (which I didn't eat because it was spicy) a mushroom and a rasher of bacon seemed somewhat lost on a large plate.
In conclusion, would we stay here again? Yes - as it is very handy for the airport.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Devizes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

My company were meeting in Bromsgrove and once again decided to stay overnight at the Greswolde after our get together. Check in was swift and polite and I was delighted to find that I had been given a super room way up in the rafters of this old coaching house. It was a bit of a trek to get there via various staircases and corridors but it was well worth it.

The door opens out into a comfortable living area complete with easy chairs and a table, along with a writing desk and wall mounted flat screen TV as well as a window overlooking Knowle High St. Walking through to the right takes you past a large, open wardrobe before entering the open plan bedroom area, boasting an enormous, and very comfortable bed, as well as a further, smaller wall-mounted TV, more easy chairs and bedside cabinets.

The bathroom, which was to the left of the entrance door was pristine and featured a full sized bath with shower as well as WC and wash basin.

We dined in that evening and I opted for the chicken and choritzo which was delicious and a good-sized portion. The meal was washed down with a couple of pints of Marston's Pedigree ale which was in tip top condition.

Even though my room ooverlooked the High St, I enjoyed a great night's sleep and went down for breakfast at 8am. As with my previous stay here, I was greeted by a waitress, and shown to a table. I helped myself to fruit juice and a mug of tea and had my order taken for a full English breakfast quickly. It turned up within a couple of minutes and was just the ticket.

Check out was equally efficient and friendly, even to the point of, " I hope will we be seeing you again?" When I reviewed the Greswolde three months ago, my four star rating was solely due to my slight disappointment with the room being like many other hotel chains but based upon the stay this time, and the wonderful room, it is now definitely a five star rating.

So, an very enjoyable stay and I look forward to the next visit.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Regular visitor for drinks and food, but a Friday night visit has really out me off. Friday is now music night apparently, so if you enjoy your meals accompanied by a 5 piece covers band or some X factor wannabe squawking along to a backing track, then this is ideal. But it's not for me unfortunately. The relaxing atmosphere last night was compounded by a dozen plus kids constantly running around in the pub in the hour that we were there --- more wacky warehouse than traditional pub atmosphere. Can't imagine what the folks who've booked accommodation here think.
I've noticed wholesale changes to the bar staff in recent weeks, which is never a great sign in my view. This has been accompanied by a failure to get staffing levels right - 10 min wait at the bar for an early evening pint, tables that are cluttered with glasses and plates. Food same as it ever was, but ambience shattered. Always disappointing when a regular haunt goes downhill....

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Fbick

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Greswolde Arms Hotel who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board and passed it to the relevant teams.

We do hope to see you soon in Greswolde Arms Hotel soon.

Chef & Brewer

Travelers are raving about these Knowle hotels

High Peak UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

I thought this was an average hotel because I thought the rooms were a bit dated and tired with marks on the carpets and walls etc the main light are like something from the seventies bit like a dentist light not sure what going on there this was room 6 by the way.
Only one bar staff so prepare for a wait if busy. Also at breakfast again one person serving poor girl and the breakfast was just warmish I saw people send there's back to the kitchen as it was stone cold, note to manager use more staff at breakfast to stop this happening.
Various nice places to eat around there too didn't risk the meal in the evening there due to breakfast being a bit of a wait and only just warm so again this has had a knock on effect for the hotels business. Not much of an atmosphere at this place to be honest.
Also when trying to sleep very noisy in room 6 and the room above was like a stampede and creaking ceilings so don't expect a goon nights sleep heard other comment the same at breakfast too. I would not stay there with my family i'm afraid.

Stockport, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Nice hotel with comfortable rooms and good location BUT there is a fan (or a number of fans) underneath room 11 which come on at around 4.30am to heat the hotel. These are extremely loud and irritating. Was like trying to sleep on a plane.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Dear kevin a

Thank you for providing us with your review

We do hope to see you soon.

Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

The hotel is in the centre of the very classy Knowle village. Practically outside the hotels door on the high street is a mass of restaurants and pubs to cater for most tastes.
I chose the hotel to have something different from the usual Travel lodge clinical type accommodation. The hotels bar seemed a very popular trendy location for locals serving typical bar food. I would describe its style as "Cost a coffee" Brown seating cosy corners!
I had room 10 a double over looking the roof with the aircon units! If you like sleeping with your window open you might like another room.
When the cleaner were doing their job the next morning and all the room doors were open I was able to have a good look at the other rooms on that corridor. Room 10 was by far the smallest. Rooms 7 and 9 opposite overlooked the side road and would not have the air con unit noise and were a lot larger.
Super king bed and pillows were very comfortable.
I Had breakfast there it was very good.
I would stay there again but not in room 10.

Room Tip: Not room 10! of the rooms on my corridor a room over looking the side street would be best
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Mike B

Thank you for providing us with your review

I can confirm that I have passed on your comments about your visit to the management team and to the Area Manager of the Greswolde Arms Hotel who would like to thank you for your feedback and to let you know that they have taken your feedback on board.

We do hope to see you soon in Greswolde Arms Hotel soon.

england
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

Wow. Where do I start.

We booked a suite room.
We was looking forward to a room like in the professional photos.

When we arrive however we are told we are in number 26, which is a suite room.
But... Our journey to the room which is, up a flight of stairs, down a corridor, turn right, turn left, up some steps, immediatley down some more through a door, then immediately on the left up a flight of stairs!!!
This, is no joke when bringing luggage up there and on help offered.
This is a four star hotel isn't it?

The room has a separate seating area as you go in and then the bedroom.
The ceilings are very low in places and throughout the trip i hit my head hard on the ceilings at least three times.

We were with family we hadn't seen for a while so we just dropped our bags and went out.

When we arrived back to our room late that night, we found there was no soap!
The bathroom also smelt slightly.

However, when we looked around for a phone we found there wasn't one!
We used our shower gel, we had luckily, brought with us that night.
The next day we were informed there aren't phones in any of the rooms!!!

Again, is this a four star hotel!
There is room service offered, but if you want anything you must make the loooong journey downstairs for it. This is a joke , right?

So. If you need anything in the night etc. be prepared for a haul if you are in the wrong rooms.

I really cannot get my head around the fact they expect you to trek downstairs!!!

The next night we stayed we got back into the room late again.
We had something to eat downstairs and a few drinks with family.
Which was like a crèche!

There were a large group with very young babies and some toddler who at different times were upset and let us all know. Ha, not against children, at all.. but it wasn't the kind of atmosphere we were looking for.
The manager didn't seem to mind at all.
This was up until 11 at night!

We were looking forward to having a nice shower and going to bed.
The shower would not work!

I had to go downstairs to ask what was happening, t be told we could move rooms and he is just a night porter and wouldn't know what to do.
We were to tired to move rooms and the next day we were going anyway.
We decided to wait till we went home.

The manager was there when we were checking out.
We mentioned it to him, he questioned us about it and we mentioned the shower wasnt great the night before but we didn't think much of it.
He said the porter had told him and he was sorry he would look into it.

As nothing was offered as a gesture of goodwill, from our bill we asked.
To which, he did not look pleased and said well if we would have told him he could have done something the night before.
How on earth was we meant to know the shower would not work! We went down as soon as we did know.

He gave us £20 off and I felt disgruntled by the way, I thought, it was said as if we were being done a favour.
We felt quite grubby and couldn't wait to get home and freshen up.
Not the way you should feel after leaving a four star hotel.

To sum up.......

No soap in bathroom (when soap was but in its in a bottle of shower gel kind of thing from a dispenser that is hard to dispense and not nice).

Bathroom smelt. Did not seem very clean.

Such a trek!!

No phones!! ( Unbelievable)!

Room is pokey and and forgot to mention the lighting is very bad too.

They tried to charge for breakfast and this was included. Luckily I checked at beginning.
(Be careful when booking. As although you book for two it says one breakfast on confirmation).

Good points:

Beds are a good size.
Room was quite.
Had a good sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Spirit P, Guest Relations Manager at Greswolde Arms Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear tellyouhowitis

Thank for taking the time to provide us with your review.

I would like to apologise that we failed to meet your expectations at the Greswolde Arms Hotel in regards to the service you received. I can confirm that I have passed on your concerns to the management team who would like to investigate your feedback. We have sent you a direct message to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Chef & Brewer

Been to Greswolde Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!