“Once in a Lifetime Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Castillo de Pavones

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pavones
Castillo de Pavones
You added Castillo de Pavones to your Saves list
500 Meters Sur de Super Rio Claro | ., Pavones 60704, Costa Rica   |
Special Rate
$125 (USD)
Ranked #1 of 4 Pavones B&B and Inns
South Bend, Indiana, United States
“Once in a Lifetime Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

My husband and I booked our trip (taken mid-January 2013) through a Groupon deal. We stayed in the Mezzanine suite, which was beautiful, however not very private for couples. (The owner Brad, did make a different recommendation, but the photos online were so beautiful that we had to have the Mezzanine anyway...) Our room was clean, and someone came in to clean every morning while we were at breakfast. There were several times that we left valuables (money, an Ipad) in the room while we were out, and nothing was ever touched or missing. The view from the restaurant was beautiful...looking out over the jungle, followed by the ocean, followed by mountains. We woke up every morning to the sounds of birds, chickens, and monkeys. Noisy, but far different from the city noise we are used to!

We were a little surprised at first about the restaurant, as it was not what was described on the website, and there was no buffet or even meal choice. There was one dish every night. HOWEVER, I will say that the food was AMAZING and there was not 1 meal out of the 5 nights that we stayed that didn't blow us away, nor did we ever walk away hungry.

Henry, Arnon, and Kenny were great guides, they showed us around town and joined us on our excursions so that we would have a translator. We honestly felt that we were among friends at the hotel, and within the town. Everyone was SO nice, we never felt unwelcome or unsafe. (A fear for us spoiled Americans traveling in a 3rd world country.)

I would HIGHLY recommend this hotel for anyone looking for an "off the beaten path" experience. My husband and I love the outdoors and enjoyed the smallness of the Castillo and the town far better than if we had gone to a major resort in a big city. We are hoping to go back in a couple of years because Pavones was just unlike any other place on Earth!!

Sidenote: I wouldn't recommend for small children...a lot of walking and not many kid-friendly foods if your kids are picky like mine. Also, although we felt very safe, we did break the number 1 tourist rule and left our bag unattended on the beach for about 10 minutes while we went swimming in the ocean. When we came back our camera and about $40-60 was gone. We let our guard down because of how nice everyone was, but you still have to remember where you are and that people will take advantage of tourists. :-( That was probably the ONLY downside to our trip, and as I said, was our own fault because we knew better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Charleston, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

We finally found Paradise! My husband and I have traveled all over Costa Rica. He visited Pavones 15 years ago but in our previous trips down together we never made it that far south. Last March I saw the Castillo featured on Groupon and rallied to troops (friends and family) to make a trip out of it.

After many months of counting down we finally made in January. We had no idea what to expect and had a group ranging in age from 63 to 13 years old. The Castillo is amazing and we were all in awe when we arrived. But what really makes it, is the staff! From the second we got there we felt like Arnon, Hadyia, Kenny, Henry and all the rest of the staff were family. We never had to ask for anything. By the time we thought of something they were already on top of it. Especially Arnon, he really went above and beyond (hanging out until the early morning hours with us and then was waiting for the guys to go surfing at 6am). I really don't think he ever slept.

I am sure you only here when there is a problem and I wanted to share with you our really great experience. I have no idea what anyone could find wrong with this place! From here on out, the Castillo will forever be what we compare other places to. We made, what i hope, are lifetime friends and we cannot wait to come back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wolfeboro, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

Our room, the Mezzanine was beautiful and the beds and linens and towels were plush. In bathrooms signs to put toilet paper in trash instead of flush which was pretty gross but I guess issue with the plumbing. When we got there there was no remote for the air conditioner all day (and no one to find it for us) and it was so hotttt! Also nice big screen TV but no cable all week. Activities director said he would lend us a DVD/VCR player but never did. Really enjoyed a guide who took us around the local area, showed us good restaurants and wildlife and was the surfing instructor. Our boys loved surfing with him but he got injured so no more surfing. Food was excellent at the Castillo but one particular meal was served, no menu to order off of just so you know which we didn't. Son and I are vegetarian and they did accomodate us well. Also the concept of time and schedule there is pretty foreign. We were always told dinner was at 6:30 but never got until 7:30ish. Need to really go with the flow there as times and activities can change often. Roads to and from Castillo are TERRIBLE-imagine going over nothing but pot holes for an hour and a half (time from Golfito). Beaches are black sand which is nice but not what I expected. Really wanted to go scuba or snokeling but weren't told until there that is was the wrong season (water too murky)- really bummed! Recommend zip-lining and jungle tour (need to wear close toed shoes). Caught lots of fish deep sea fishing but never offered for us to keep any. Boat was pretty rough and a couple flat life jackets, fine for us but likely not what you expect. Captain spoke No english. All in all we really enjoyed our trip but definitely not perfect.

Room Tip: Mezzanine large room, beautiful wood trim, nice fixtures in bathroom (though dark lighting), all gla...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

We stayed at the VILLA not the hotel. The villa had burned down and was being redone.

This is NOT like a five star hotel. This place is all about nature, simple, clean, basic living and relaxation. We stayed here with our very large party of 9 people. mom, dad, 5 kids 8,7,6,4,2 , the sitter and his girlfriend. OMG we had such a relaxing time. The staff were amazingly helpful and accommodating. No mosquitoes!!!! The trek to the villa (which was uphill) was a good challenge that we tackled everyday with determination!!! :) Talk about a butt work out!!

The view is just amazing from the villa. The AWESOME LOUD tropical rain in the afternoon!! The amazing river 1min below the villa and the slow languid 10min walk to where the river runs into the ocean were simplicity of life at it's best. We got all kinds of bugs, tree toads in the house and one baby scorpion. Monkeys swinging in the trees and couldn't care less if you stare. The gorgeous paired Macaw birds flying and cracking almonds infront of you. This place is not for you if you are squirmish about nature and simple living. I am from jamaica so all this was normal and blissfully familiar of home for me.

The kids LOVED it!. We went for a 30min walk up river, where a fat 10" in diameter spider crawled on my sons leg :) That was the only down part of the trip. Tons of places to eat if you don't want them to cook for you at the villa. OMG the food at the restaurant down the road is AWESOME!!! Fresh fruit every morning with breakfast and again the amazing staff.

We hope to go back next year!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

If you are not one for adventure, this is not your place. This hotel is in Pavones, a small little surfing town. The people who live there were super friendly. Zip lining, white water rafting, surfing, horseback riding on the beach, 4-wheeling along the coast... There was so much to do. The Castle is newly renovated and pretty much brand new! I liked the jacuzzi that had an ocean view. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed October 2012
Dexter, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I recently stayed in Castillo de Pavones from October 21 through October 27th with my best girlfriend. I can tell you that it is not called “the castle” for nothing. We had a WONDERFUL time, and we are already looking eagerly for an opportunity to go back. Our room was AMAZING, and it had an absolutely breathtaking view of the jungle leading up to the ocean. Rolling over in the morning to see this view never got old- it was truly paradise. The staff was wonderful as well! Most were natives of Pavones, which made touring the town and surrounding area a very smooth and pleasant experience. They were very eager to entertain you and show you around this beautiful place that they call home. While we were there, the staff taught us how to surf, took us to find baby sea turtles, took us on a boat tour, and hiking. Anything that we wanted to do they arranged for us. There are millions of activities to occupy your time in Pavones. From picking coconuts on the beach, to ziplining over the jungle- Pavones has something for everyone. So if you are like me, and constantly like to be busy- don’t worry, because there will never be a dull moment. The wildlife was also something to treasure. Sloths, jungle birds, and monkeys in the trees- sea turtles, whales, and dolphins in the water. The food was amazing, and the chefs were as sweet as can be. Brad the owner and the manager Hadya are wonderful! Super accommodating, personable, and entertaining! They clearly know what they are doing. Staying at Castillo de Pavones was an amazing experience that I believe everyone should experience. I came home feeling recharged, refreshed, and energized from such an awesome vacation. I also came home feeling very sad that this amazing trip was over. Now that’s how you KNOW you had a great vacation. Castillo de Pavones is definitely off the beaten path, but that is what gives it it’s charm. When you are there, you are in an escape from your reality, and you are truly in another world. I will say it one more time, Pavones is paradise, and what better place to stay in paradise than a castle? Right? I can’t WAIT to go back to stay at the Castillo! What a wonderful week, I will never forget it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Castillo de Pavones? Share your experiences!