“If you come to surf Pavones this is a good spot to be.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mira Olas Pavones Cabins

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Pavones
Mira Olas Pavones Cabins
You added Mira Olas Pavones Cabins to your Saves list
Main Road | 200 M South of Super Market, Pavones, Costa Rica   |
San Jose del Cabo, Mexico
“If you come to surf Pavones this is a good spot to be.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

Mira Olas is just a quick walk up the road from the break, but those few feet of elevation get you more of a breeze to cool off with in the evenings, and you're out of the main "town's" noise and activities. Lilli and Steve take meticulous care of the property, and the fruit trees respond with luscious harvests of mangoes, bananas and more.

Unlike some other local properties this one is very secure (thanks in part to Cujo the dog, who keeps his eye on all proceedings). I stayed in one of the bungalows for a week, and it was exactly what I needed after getting thrashed each day by the waves during a big swell. I had no interest in cooking because I was also traveling around the area and helping friends restore a house. I would eat with them at their home and in local restaurants. The room and bath were clean in a spartan way, and perfect for my needs which precluded hanging out inside much. There as no A/C, but I think in this area it's pointless -- you just want a fan to keep the air moving, not an air conditioner which cannot keep up with the heat and humidity. Better to acclimate. The rate I paid was a total bargain.

When you travel to Pavones you're at the end of the (long dirt) road. Next stop is Panama. You want a place that's convenient, secure, and not needlessly or ostentatiously fancy. This is it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Butner, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

I've stayed at Lili's Mira Olas several times over the years and have never been disappointed! It's close to the surf (either by walk or paddle down the river) yet quietly set at the edge of the jungle. Plenty of monkeys, toucans, hummingbirds and blue morpho butterflies to enjoy and a great variety of fruit to pick and eat.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Playa Potrero, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

My husband and I stayed here. The owner, Lili, was great, the rooms are clean and very affordable. The property is lovely, with fruit trees and river access.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2011

This was my second trip to Pavones and I was delighted to stay at Mira Olas's Jungle Deluxe cottage. Staying up the hill (versus the Moderna cabinas) was well worth the extra few steps to be closer to the jungle and the daily wildlife show. The main living area is open air while the bedroom and bathroom are enclosed with screening, which is a nice compromise to staying close to nature. We enjoyed simple fresh food from the grounds and the veg trucks come to Mira Olas and into town (check days with Lilli). We really got into the "return to basics" vibe.

After waking to the high toucan whistles and deep howler monkey calls, my boyfriend headed off to the break and I headed to the local bakery, returning to munch on treats with great coffee. One of my personal favorites was the view from the kitchen window while preparing breakfast (and lunch). Each morning I watched morpho butterflies, hummingbirds, pizote and occasional monkeys. We even had a reportedly rare visit from a pair macaws one morning.

Most afternoons we took the nearby trail to the Rio Claro -clear, cool and crocodile free. Great way to while away the day's heat before returning for a nap or a slow read.

Lilli is a fantastic host. She explains local wildlife, introduces you to the plants and fruits on the property and invites you to share the bounty. She gave us water apples, star fruit, mangoes and a variety of bananas and other fruits. She's also friendly with the local Guyami natives (buy the hats and bags!). Nanni, the groundskeeper, also helped keep us in bananas, and we credit him for the macaw visit.

Mira Olas is rustic and is not for people looking for cush accomodations or cruise-ship styled pampering. It is, however, eco-friendly, low-impact and helps you, the guest, slow down and enjoy the essential nature of Pavones - surf, slower pace, wild life, beautiful views and friendly people. We brag every time we visit about our time Costa Rica and we seem to be always planning when we can slip back down - short or long trips. If you like off-the-beaten track places with friendly folks and quiet places, Mira Olas is for you.

Room Tip: Jungle Deluxe is great for longer visits or those who prefer to cook their own meals. Modernas great...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights during Semana Santa. We payed $40/night for the deluxe jungle lodge cabin. It was a great experience, but we were ready to leave when we did. It's very rustic and pretty uncomfortable. The kitchen, loft and deck are totally open air. The bedroom and bath are screened in, and there's a mosquito net over the bed. The double bed is VERY small. My husband and I are super tall and could barely fit during the really hot nights, so he ended up sleep upstairs in the loft (what a guy!). It was difficult cooking/eating dinner in the cabin because the amount of bugs, bats, insects, etc that descended upon us and our food while cooking and eating. There isn't a comfortable place to sit...only 1 hammock or at the kitchen table. So not a lot of lounging comfortably during the day (especially when the hammock was in full sun). The kitchen is basic (mini fridge, camp stove), so don't expect to cook anything gourmet. But it was perfect for lunch and brekie. It is about a 10 minute walk from the main break and the grounds are beautiful. Wifi works when you sit close to her house. Lili was a great hostess...gave us some tips on surfing spots, was responsive when we reported a new bee hive, etc. And her dog is the sweetest. Pavones has limited lodging options (and eating, for that matter), so if you can hang with the rustic nature of Mira Olas, I recommend it. Just mentally prepare what to expect and you'll be fine.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Arenal Volcano National Park, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

Very nice rooms in green garden filled with life, just a small walk from centre for affordable price!

Room Tip: Modernas are great!
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
anaconda
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2011

My 2010 trip to Pavones was my fourth, in as many years. As usual, I stayed at Mira Olas. Lili is a great host, often leaving apple bananas, a fresh mango or some other treat from the garden on the door knob while I'm away during the day. Accommodations are basic, but everything you need in this environment. The cabins are clean, quiet, comfortable and affordable. They're set in beautiful tropical gardens that host a myriad of birds; toucans, motmots, several species of hummingbirds, just to list a few. Birding is great here - sitting out on the deck with a cup of coffee, binoculars and a bird book is a perfect way to start the day. Being on the outskirts of town, on the edge of the forest, monkeys are also common visitors.
I really like the easy access from the cabins down to the Rio Claro. It's great to walk the trail down to the river at mid-day to swim, wash off the salt from a morning surf and escape the heat of the day.

Town, the surf and the cantina are only a 5 - 10 minute walk from the cabins, depending on how good the waves are, or how hungry you are. I don't mind the walk as I prefer being a bit removed from the center of Pavones for the reasons I've listed above - the wildlife, the quiet and the ambiance of Mira Olas.

I like it enough, that I've already made plans to return in 2011.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pavones
TikiVillas Rainforest Lodge
Caza Olas Hotel & Hostel
Caza Olas Hotel & Hostel
#4 of 12 in Pavones
4.5 of 5 stars 24 reviews

Been to Mira Olas Pavones Cabins? Share your experiences!