“Lovely old house and garden ...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel le Conquerant

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barfleur
Hotel le Conquerant
16 - 18 rue Saint-Thomas Becket, 50760 Barfleur, France   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Barfleur
Paris, France
“Lovely old house and garden ...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

The hotel (the only hotel in town) is an historic building with a beautiful, large, walled garden. Our spacious room had a view of this garden and we could just see the port beyond. The furnishings are fairly simple and there is no wifi but there is a lot of charm and there are some nice touches - we were allowed to hang a little washing to dry in a discreet corner of the garden! The breakfast (good croissants and home-made jam) can be eaten in the garden on warm days. The town is a picturesque fishing port and makes an excellent base for exploring the Cotentin peninsula. We would stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

43 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed there for 2 nights on a B+B basis. It was very clean and well maintained. The landlord was very helpful and took all are luggage up to our room. It was large and roomy and had a great shower. The pictures and detail impressed me. He made sure I understood how the tv worked so I could watch the Euro football in the evening. The breakfast in the morning was very good and the coffee tasted great. I hope to visit the area again next year and I will make this my first stop.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Topsham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

Riding back towards Cherbourg, getting absolutely drenched yet once again, I really only wanted to get onto the ferry and get home; however we had one last night to go and so my expectations were high. To be fair, nowhere looks appealing in the rain, much less so a port town built of dark stone, and I was wet and tired so perhaps not in the best of moods.

However, the room was of generous size, separate loo always appreciated and large bathroom - everything was very clean, absolutely no question about that, so things looked up. Then I was disappointed that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room, the radiators could not be turned on - it is my belief that the temperature should regulate and not the time of year - probably the wettest, coldest June on record.

I suppose after very warm, accommodating reception elsewhere on our travels, this place just felt very cold and dispassionate. Sunshine would have helped.

Room Tip: We could have paid an extra 20 euros for a garden view; I don't know if that would have been wor...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pierre D, Propriétaire at Hotel le Conquerant, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
I thank Karin for the compliments on the cleanliness of the room and comfort of the bathroom.
Tea, coffee and other hot and cold drinks are served in the hotel lounge. We also offer tastings of local products.
It was the first time that Karin saw Barfleur ; it was after a long trip on a motorbike and under the rain. So she "was so wet and tired perhaps not in the best of moods."
May be a next time, with the sun, and I'm sure her opinion will be less negative.
Exeter, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

It was our last night in France, we were on a motorbike and it had rained, rained, rained...

I guess if it had been sunny and our room overlooked the pleasant gardens it would have been better but the room, though of reasonable standard looked out on to the street. It was simple with little charm or warmth and no view. The curtains had to be drawn to ensure any privacy.

As we rode up someone was smoking out of the front window (next to our room)

Although June we were cold and wet, the heating was off and we had no means to dry our gear. This was the first time in 10 days that we faced the prospect of a wet start.

The staff were businesslike but not really friendly or engaging. There was no mobile reception and no WiFi. It is a quiet village which probably makes sense when the sun shines.

There are a range of chargeable breakfast options but it was hardly inspiring.

I guess the point for me is that when compared to out earlier experience at the Ibis in Perigueux ( http://bit.ly/Nq43C6 ) this hotel left me feeling barely welcomed and more than a little short-changed.

On a positive the owner did give us 8 bin bags to put our feet in for the journey back and he relinquished the charge for leaving the bike outside in his drive.

Room Tip: Don't expect a garden view at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Pierre D, Propriétaire at Hotel le Conquerant, responded to this review, June 16, 2012
Andrew is not negative and Andrew is right : "it had rained, rained, rained and if it had been sunny it would have been better". That is true that the rooms overlooking the garden are more enjoyable.
It is true that we propose 4 different menus for the breakfast with different options and that we offered the parking for the bike.
So I hope Andrew will come back in Barfleur a sunny day, booking a room on our pleasant garden. And, of course, I will offer again the parking for his bike ...
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Our first stay in Barfleur was highlighted by our stay at the Hotel le Conquerant, a beautifully-restored historic building (actually several connected buildings) right near the harbor of this picturesque old town. The rooms are simply but tastefully furnished, spotlessly clean, and the owners couldn't have been more helpful, providing lots of good information for our day trips in the area. In addition to restoring this wonderful old building, the owners have developed a beautiful garden in the back. They also collect and sell antiques, and many of these are displayed in the guest rooms and, especially, the atmospheric dining room where breakfast is served. Altogether a most pleasant stay, and we hope to return.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are those facing the garden.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Port McNeill, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Located in a beautiful little town, this hotel was perfect in every way. The rooms were beautifully decorated and the dining room was everything you would expect in a 17th century building. Ask for a room at the back so you can enjoy the view of the magnificent walled garden. Expect a plentiful continental breakfast. The owners are very helpful (interpreted for me when I needed to see a doctor). If you visit in the late summer, listen for the owl family that lives in the tower!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011 via mobile

A lovely little hotel that I couldn't find fault with. The hotel and rooms were spotlessly clean, a great location, beautiful garden and the hotel owners Catherine and Pierre were friendly, welcoming and incredibly helpful. I would completely recommend a stay here if visiting pretty Barfleur.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Hotel le Conquerant? Share your experiences!