“Shockingly bad accommodations” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cherry Valley
Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center
You added Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center to your Saves list
10600 Highland Springs Avenue, Cherry Valley, CA 92223   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Cherry Valley
Boulder, Colorado
“Shockingly bad accommodations”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

I went to the "resort" for a wedding. The grounds are of historic interest (my teenage sons liked them and said they had a "Shining" kind of feel), and the setting is quite beautiful. I saw a number of herons. Otherwise, I have nothing good to say about the place. The room I was put in was NOT CLEAN. It was grimy, with cracks in the walls, bare nails sticking out where there once were pictures, splats of plaster. There was a phone, but it was purely a prop, as there was no connection and wires sticking out of the walls. The rusty tub had a shower at shoulder height. The faucet below the shower leaked, spraying water into a hole in the wall. Every time I used the toilet, I had to take off the lid to fix the plug in the toilet tank. The furniture was beat up--for instance there was just one folding chair that someone had scribbled on with a pen. There was an old TV on the floor. The sheets were gritty. I asked the desk clerk if they could fix the overhead light and porch light, neither of which worked. She said no. There was no bar service throughout the weekend. Walking around the grounds, there were random piles of bricks, lengths of wire. We went into the pool house and there was just old furniture scattered around. The smell indicated that some kind of creature had died somewhere in the building. I simply cannot believe that they have the audacity to charge for this kind of accommodation.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HSResort1884, Manager at Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am sorry to hear of the problems you experienced during your recent stay at our resort. We agree that the usual standards of services were not met in this instance. Though we do not usually rent these rooms to our guests, we agreed to rent out several of our un-renovated rooms due to the bride’s request to have most of her guests stay at the resort. Because these rooms have not been renovated, I understand that the front desk personnel notified guests before making reservations about the conditions of the rooms and guests were given the option of booking at a nearby hotel. We also provided shuttle services from the nearby hotel to our resort before and after the wedding to accommodate guests’ needs. After inspecting further, the bar was open on Friday and Saturday from 11AM-9PM with a full house. I sincerely apologize for any inconveniences and would be happy to discuss the complaint further. My personal email is Sharon.k@hsresort.com. I will look forward to hearing from you and hope to have the opportunity to provide you the level of service you expect from Highland Springs Resort.

Best Regards,

Sharon Ko
Front Desk Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Huntington Beach Ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

Visited this property for a wedding, decided to stay overnight after the event at 4 PM
It is a nice size facility, many different settings for weddings could be accomodated.
The room we stayed was a good size, and beds comfortable.
The big but is when considering the condition of the rooms, hallways, and landscape...there is a great deal of maintenance pending. Old furniture, unfinished upgrades, or at least what appears to be.
For night time weddings is great because you cannot see all of these things.
Service was very good, all staff members were attentive, respectful and cordial.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Rosarito, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

We stayed here the last weekend in July.

On Sunday morning I woke up at 5:30am to walk around the lavender fields, stork-visited lagoons, and old trees. I’m an avid hiker, so that morning I was very pleased to find, only about 200 feet from my room door, an adult California lynx or bobcat. I didn’t have a camera, but I managed to get 20 feet from it and observe for about 3 minutes, until it went slowly off into the property’s lavender fields.

As we walked through the grounds on Saturday afternoon, it was also a treat to find at least 6 wandering skunks, a tunnel-like olive grove with trees that look hundreds of years old (probably about 150 yrs), and also the largest oak tree I’ve probably ever seen, supposedly about 1,100 yrs old. We also saw 2 owls on a hike in the next-door canyon and dozens of rabbits.

Walking around the grounds, we were pleased to find historic tidbits all around the property. The pool is worth a visit (we felt transported back to the 1920s) even though the Jacuzzi was out of service; the lobby has a wealth of information on the history of the property (it started as a hotel/resort in 1884), ie, Einstein was a regular visitor, and a lot of other interesting info. Old fountains were also a nice surprise, as was the architecture of the various room wings, although some of them have been added over more recent time periods. For haunted-hotel enthusiasts, something involving a fire or other catastrophe apparently happened in the pool house at some point in the past. The staff off-handedly mentions that people sometimes hear screams in and around the pool house. We walked into the pool house during the day, and you can definitely feel a very strange vibe.

The service was always friendly, although missing some depth as to employee initiative, knowledge of the product, and training. But all-in-all acceptable due to staff’s friendliness and their willingness to solve issues as long as you ask for a solution.

Our room was in the 800s wing (room 813) and other than a few ants which is normal during summer, the room looks recently remodeled and with attractive finishes that complement interesting antiques showcased inside the room. Frog song from a pond 15 feet away lulled us to sleep. When you reserve, ask for details for each room wing, because some have TVs and some don’t, some have different views, etc.

Like other reviewers mention, some of the building exteriors look very tired and even decrepit. But we kept in mind that the upkeep of such a large and ancient property is extremely expensive, especially when you only have a few rooms as income. A full refurbishment is apparently what the owners are envisioning, judging from what we saw regarding refurbishments that have already been made.

However, the lobby and restaurant buildings have been meticulously refurbished to their historic peak-conditions. Apart from the food being very good (we had dinner), it’s a pleasure to walk into the lobby, bar and restaurant and see such commitment to conserving the history of the property.

For the continental breakfast, they included what seemed like home-made pastries, using very tasty jams.

If this ever gets fully refurbished, the rates will be much higher. I’m glad we took advantage now. It was absolutely worth it.

Another plus for us was that it’s relatively close to Forest Falls.

Room Tip: The 800s wing is recently remodeled (we were in #813)
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

We just spent the day there on Friday April 20th for an amazing wedding held under the 1100 year old Oak Tree. What a gorgeous venue. The grounds are stunning and the staff was very friendly, and available at all times, but yet were discreetly not around... in a good way. A few suggestions? Wear flat shoes. The grounds are very uneven because you are in true natural spaces, so ladies leave the heels at home or bring a purse big enough to secretly change into some flip flops. And bring an umbrella, the guests sat in the open sun, while bridal party was under the shade of the tree. We weren't in shade until the reception, held under a gorgeous line of olive trees, all lit up, with one side opening up to lavender fields.
So romantic

I wish we would've had an opportunity to really explore the grounds because there seemed to be lots of options of things to look at, however based on what I saw, I believe the buildings needed upgrading desperately.

Be aware that the use of the RESORT, is used very loosely. This is not a resort but seemed more like a camp ground. I wouldn't choose to stay here but for the wedding services, great choice.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Alta Loma, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I took my husband here for a Valentines day weekend and was sadly a bit disappointing. I'll start with the good. The food/restaurant is EXCELLENT! Very tasty, interesting lavender infusions and very vintage atmosphere. Beautiful views. The bar was also very neat. The decor was of the history of the place and very fun and pleasant. I wish it would have carried over into the accommodations. When we got into our room, somebody had just left because nothing had been clean. Bed sheets were still slept in. When we finally did get a "clean" room, The room had no TV, it was very stale smelling and was reminiscent of a hostel I stayed at in France. The "king" bed was simply two twins pushed together with a bottom sheet thrown on top to keep them together. This of course didn't happen, because on the slick floor as soon as my husband rolled over to make a move the two twins slid apart and he was headed for the floor (great entertainment however). The grounds are in gross need of remodeling. The pool area needs to be completely redone, and the grounds are in disrepair. I felt as though I was in the twilight zone. This place has so much potential if only someone would invest in some remodeling and staff.

Room Tip: get one at morongo
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Cherry Valley hotels

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Despite what it sounds like below, I do recommend this place due to it's location and the beautiful grounds.

My wife and I stayed here for the second time last weekend. Last year we stayed there the weekend after the Annual Lavender Festival and we had a fantastic weekend. We strolled around the grounds anywhere we liked and we were practically the only ones there. This year we came during the Lavender Festival and it wasn't as relaxing for the most part.

On both visits we had trouble with our reservations since we used the reservation system on their web page. The first time we stayed there someone was already in our room and we found out when saw their stuff in the room when we opened the door, with a key (now they have key cards like other hotels). Luckily they were not in the room at the time. When we went back and told the front desk, we were upgraded to a nicer room in the 800s facing the lavender field at no extra charge. Last weekend, we arrived and were told there was a problem and then that "a pipe in our room had burst" after the front desk person had a consultation with the hotel President. We had to downgrade to the 700s, with the lower rate that came with the room.

CALL FOR RESERVATIONS IF YOU WANT TO BE GUARANTEED A ROOM WHEN YOU ARRIVE!!

With that said, this last visit they gave us 2 coupons for admission to the festival (which we didn't need), a coupon for 2 free lavender flavored drinks at the festival (which we did use and saved about $7) and a gift certificate to the onsite restaurant that almost covered the cost of dinner. The food at the restaurant was good however it was a long wait to get it. Probably due to it being the weekend of the festival and the place was packed. Even with a reservation we had to wait for a table. Also the chairs at our table were very uncomfortable. There were other chairs that looked like they were not as bad.

The grounds are what makes this place worth it. They have open spaces, shaded grassy areas, a few ponds and lavender fields you can roam around like you own the place. There is a long lane lined with olive trees that was the entrance at one point several decades ago. It's very quiet and peaceful.

Now that we know to call for reservations, we feel better about going back to stay here. It will be on a weekend when the festival is not going on. We will drive out for the day to attend the Festival.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the lavender fields.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

This is not a resort. It is perfect for big groups for retreats but please...a resort? The tennis courts are beyond repair, the basketball courts be careful so that you don't trip over the cracked concrete. The cottages???? Um very outdated....they even use tape on the windown curtains to keep light out. No privacy....so curtains are always drawn. The rooms are very small....the bathroom and shower....wow....if you are a big man you are in for a surprise. Not your 4 or 5 star resort at any means. So why does this place get a 3 stars still? It is better than your average Holiday Inn express....although you might think differently with quality of the modern decor. The swimming pool is huge....and nice gym and whirlpool area. The grounds are amazing and relaxing. The acres of lavender fields over nice happy hour can't go wrong at all. The food is very fresh and the service is ok. That is why you get a 3 star vs. 2. If it wasn't for the grounds, the pool, and good food this is a hands down a two star place. Please taper your expecations when you arrive at this joint.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Highland Springs Resort and Conference Center? Share your experiences!