“I'd camp there again!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Emerald Bay Campground

Emerald Bay Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Lake Tahoe (California)
Emerald Bay Campground
You added Emerald Bay Campground to your Saves list
Highway 89, South Lake Tahoe, CA 96142   |
Sacramento, CA
“I'd camp there again!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We coordinated 65 campers (adults and kids- friends) and took over 13 sites. The campground is clean and well managed with great views of either Lake Tahoe or Emerald Bay. It could use more showers but we made it work, especially if you don't take a shower during prime times (before 9 am and after 5 pm). Campers can be noisy but overall this is a very private campground. Site 26 (our site) is especially secluded. There is a resident bear who roams the campground therefore FOLLOW the rules and leave your camp clean and place all food items (or things that smell like food) into the spacious bear lockers provided otherwise it is a $1000 fine and the frustration and anger of every other camper who has kept their space clean. Watch for BIG beetles that fly around at night and love anything that shines. They sound like low-flying bombers. If you look carefully you will see bats and osprey too.

Room Tip: Site 26 is superb if you want privacy. Not much of a view though.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2009

We camped here during Labor Day weekend. This is our 5th camping trip to Tahoe, but first time to Emerald Bay Campground. The campground view is beautiful and it has trails around the campground with lake and Emerald Bay view. You can easily spend 2 days in the park alone to do hiking and water sports. There is 1/2 mile trail directly to Emerald Bay. The view is simply amazing, the best of all our camping trips!

Sacramento
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

Just got back from 2 night stay at campsite #51. We lucked out because I made the last minute reservation and saw this site was avail. We met a couple out there who made their reservation in March, and their site was across from ours. This site has a view of the lake and some space behind for kids to play. The only downside was that our tent (large family size) took up most of the space on the pad, so we were close to the bear locker. Not really a big deal. This site is close to the restroom and up the hill is a newer facility with showers. The loop we were in was not crowded so it added to the great experience. We did have noisy neighbors who seemed to have no consideration or respect of quite (evening) hours but you could have that anywhere.

If /when we return, we will definitely look to book this campsite again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Carmichael, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

Lake Tahoe is beautiful, so are pine trees, birds, etc., but this campground left a lot to be desired. I booked late so I got a teeny tiny site with the firepit on a slope surrounded by rocks...it was really difficult sitting around the fire. I walked the whole campground to see what else was there, and I can say that I really only found about 5 sites I thought might be worthy of the price. Most sites were small, rocky, too close to your neighbor and the road, unlevel, and did NOT have a bearproof food box. All that was left was a shoddy wooden bear box that was broken into long ago and never fixed (you can't keep a bear out of a flimsy wooden box). They managed to put metal boxes on some sites, but they should be on each site. Instead, they tell you to put your food in the trunk of your car. Most of the bathrooms (except for the nice new accessible one) were cramped and the sink's water faucet didn't work in the one closest to me (I figured out that I had to turn it off and on at the valve under the sink). Chipmunks and squirrels aren't too bad, but the blue jays will wake you up at the crack of dawn, and keep yelling at you all day until dark.

Here are the good points: The Rubicon trail to Vikingsholm was the best part, the hike was great and Vikingsholm was interesting. Water was close to every site and you could drink it.

I must say that I really expected more.

• Liked — Fresh air, pine trees, Rubicon trail
  • Disliked — Under-average sites, not well maintained, not level
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
A California Writer
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

My family had a great time at Emerald Bay Campground. We stayed there for 5 days in June 2007. This campground is not impacted by the Angora wildfire, and it's a beautiful place.

The campsites were well maintained, those who prefer a little more privacy can choose the Upper Eagle Point campground, sites 1-34. Those who want to be closer to the lake can choose the Lower Eagle Point Campground, but I have to stress that even the closest campground to the lake is still about a 5 minute walk down a dirt road.

We stayed in the Lower campground, and the site was directly across from the bathrooms. Flush toilets, outdoor basin for washing your hands, and quarter operated showers that had hot water still going strong at 7PM when most of the campers had taken their baths and gone to roast marshmallows around the fire. Every site has a bear locker which is big enough to store your ice chest and food. We didn't see any bears, but there were chipmunks and squirrels. Every site also has a fire ring and iron grate, picnic table and most had shade. This area also had two spaces that are hanidcapped accessable and one shower had railings and benches too.

The only thing I would recommend is that you stop and buy groceries before you hit the camp ground. It's about 20 minutes to the store, Raley's, in South Lake Tahoe at the "Y". It's not a bad drive, though. You can always stop at the Camp Richardson Ice Cream store on the way (during camping season - I think it's closed during the winter months ...)

Been to Emerald Bay Campground? Share your experiences!