“Where's Gordon Ramsey when you need him?” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Riverbank
“Where's Gordon Ramsey when you need him?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2012

I can't believe all the great reviews. We waited 10 minutes for our drinks, but our meals came in 3 minutes. We ordered 2 of their specialties. The deep fried and reheated polenta and chicken was horribble. The spinach enchilades were barely edible. They were accompanied by mushy overcooked rice that appeared 2-3 days old. Good chips and salsa and generous shots of tequila are the only thing that saved this visit.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Austin, Texas
“Great food and good times!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

They have my favorite burrito.... The Cantina is a must try!! It goes great with a top shelf margarita! Fun spot to watch the games.

• Visited July 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
San Francisco, CA
“there's better Mexican around”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

On a recent Friday night I found myself near South Lake Tahoe looking to satisfy my frequent urge for good Tex Mex. I hadn't been to this place in many years, which I believe was Cantina de los Tres Hombres at one point.

Half empty, we were seated where I could see what was happening (and not happening) in the kitchen, which had an open doorway. We waited at least 10 minutes for our chips, which I realized then was served by the guy standing near the kitchen door about 15 feet fromus. He had been standing there not doing a whole lot, so I'm not sure what the delay for our chips was. It was only after our drinks came, which we had ordered as soon as we sat down, that we were asked if we had gotten menus yet. Uh, no, we hadn't. As I mentioned this place was only half full.

I got the Chile Colorado (red sauce). The meat had been on the warming burner for a bit long, and tasted like it had seen better days, like maybe serveral hours earlier, and tasted a bit scorched. It cooked long enough so that the fat was separating and formed a slight slick on top of the rather small dish of Colorado.

The beans tasted canned, though the rice was good, and the corn tortillas served were also quite good. I live near SF and have eaten in many Tex Mex restaurants and taquerias, and the food here was sub par. Not really bad, but not very good. Next trip I am not returning here.

• Visited October 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Los Angeles, CA
“Classic Mexican with a Tahoe flair!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2011

Our family has been going to The Cantina for years, and there's something for everyone on the extensive menu. Unique vegetarian options include the fantastic Papas (potato) Tacos - yum! Excellent, fresh chips and salsa; a variety of good margaritas; friendly service. After a day at the beach or on the slopes, you can't go wrong with this fine, filling Mexican food.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South Lake Tahoe, CA
“Hit or miss food and service. But it's a fun place to eat at.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

The food heremis hit and miss. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, you know you are getting pre-made, warmed over entrees. When their chips are fresh, they are really good, too. The only thing on the menu that is consistently boring, bland, and not worth eating is their rice. Their prices are reasonable enough.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere