“Still a Terrific Deal For Sushi” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Japanese
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Still a Terrific Deal For Sushi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

$25 for all you can eat sushi is an amazing bargain. Japanese tempura, appetizers are ok, the main event for us was the specialty rolls. Some were very delicious and many to choose from. Only complaint is the place is FREEZING when the door is opened. Seems they could figure a way to solve this issue. Does detract from the overall experience. Service was quick and efficient. Definitely will return.

Visited December 2012

Sunnyvale, California
“Not authentic, so-so food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2012

I am a firm believer that ethnic cuisine is best prepared by their own and enjoyed by their own, i.e. great Japanese restaurants have Japanese chefs and mostly Japanese clientele and you know it is authentic.

Not so for Sato. I walked in and immediately noticed not one staff of Japanese heritage, not the sushi chefs at the counter, not the servers, none. No disrespect to them. And neither are any of the clientele while I was there.

I was drawn in by the reviews and had 2 young kids in tow, so we decided to brave it anyway. The sushi buffet only applies to the sushi bar, so we did not do that. This review is for table dine-in only.

Ordered hot tea. First tip, hot tea is not gratis, costs $2 each! Most Japanese restaurants I've been too, even high end ones, provides hot Japanese green tea free but not Sato. They serve tea in individual tea bags and a hot water pot that you steep on your own.

Ordered sashimi, salmon teriyaki entrees, combo chicken teriyaki with tempura, seafood soba, a unagi roll. The portions are big, the salmon teriyaki entrees came with 2 big pieces of salmon steak. Combo plate was so-so. Mostly tasted bland. Sashimi came after the hot entrees, not very well timed. The sashimi itself was ok. The soba was a disappointment. Tasted bland as well.

Service was ok, generally, but quite hard to get their attention during busy dinner time.

For a party of 4 adults (and 2 kids under 4), the bill came to $110+. With prices like these, I'd expected better food. Will not return again.

Samurai Restaurant, down the road, is much better, but surprisingly with lower ratings than Sato (I suspect most ratings were higher for the sushi bar buffet). And Samurai is certainly more authentic.

• Visited December 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Order the Locals Boat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I am utterly shocked to see the bad reviews for this restaurant as we thoroughly enjoyed the "Locals Boat" meal that we shared. I don't believe that the "Locals Boat" is on the menu but it is a wonderful value. It was only about $20 and provided plenty of food. We had ordered additional sushi but it was just too much food. All food arrived well seasoned, with hot dishes hot and cold dishes cold. The wait staff was friendly. This restaurant is a bit off the beaten path so probably doesn't get a lot of the tourist crowd. Perhaps its more of a locals hangout. The Saturday evening we visited, it had a good crowd.. Its a true gem and i would wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Better Then The Reviews Suggest”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

Reading the unfavorable reviews we were nervous to try Sato. A ski instructor I rode up on the lift with works there and recommended it to me for dinner. Decided to give it a try. For $25 for all you can eat it was a great bargain for our family of 3. The service at the sushi bar was quick and friendly. The salad was not worth it, but the tempura was plentiful and tasty. They had many interesting creative rolls to choose from. The nigiri was cut thick and seemed very fresh. We enjoyed all the different rolls and it filled us up for a very reasonable dollar amount. Give it a try I think you'll enjoy it too.

Visited December 2011
San Francisco
“Not your typical all you can eat sushi!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2011

I brought my kids to Lake Tahoe for some skiing. Across the street from oor motel was Satos. I had a feeling and we dicided to go. There is a sign for all you can eat sushi. A little skeptical but we gave it a try.
You sit at the sushi bar and for $25.00 per person The sushi chef will make fresh sushi. It was extremely good. The Salmon melted i n our mouth and the rolls were very very good. I would reccomend going early as it does fill up and the wait was 45 minutes at about 8. I cannot wait to go back.

Visited February 2011