“An old favorite” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“An old favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

I used to visit Tahoe regularly about 20 years ago. This was my favorite place for pizza. I'd go there every visit. I loved the flavor of the pizza and the way the sauce was rolled into the light crust.

After 20 years I finally made it back and was delighted to find out that they were still there in the same location. Still as crowded as it used to be on a Friday night. I was very excited to introduce the wife to this place, since she has never been there.

Unfortunately the pizza wasn't as good as I remember. They still roll the sauce into a light crust, but the sauce has become very bland. I could barely taste any tomato flavor. I still enjoyed the pizza, so it wasn't bad. It's just not as good as before.

Service was exceptional. They made us feel right at home and were very attentive and timely. A very nice group of employees. Of course I'll go again. It's still a favorite.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

78% Recommend
Santa Cruz, California
“Garlic Chips are to die for!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

We've eaten here about five times. We're always seated quickly and the servers always cheerful. We choose the booths rather than the lounge and love the feel of home, tho' our home has lots less collectibles surrounding us. The salad bar ingredients are fresh with our favorite additions - beets, grated carrots, mushrooms, olives and pepperocini. We share our dinners, one of us ordering a small pizza and the other an entree that includes Garlic Chips, pizza dough spread with garlic and oil and served with ranch dressing, which is in a word "delectable!" when our teenage grandsons came with us, they loved the Barnyard Massacre pizza which has every kind of meat. At every visit we've taken home enough leftovers for a satisfying lunch the next day.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Bay Area, CA
“Best pizza for 100 miles”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

A great "mom and pop" pizza place that's been in SoLakeTahoe for decades.

Their pizzas all feature handmade/hand-rolled dough and a special crust that I've only seen here: the fold the outer edges around/over the sauce, so it has a braided look and a delicious filling when you get to it.

The best (and most unusual) pizza in our family's opinion: The Acapulco Gold! Essentially a Taco Pizza with taco meat, cheese, olives, tomatoes, cheddar and mozzarella cheese, and fresh avocado on a corn dough crust slathered with a mild picante red sauce.

I wish I could talk more about their other specialties (Barnyard Massacre, Gutbuster, etc) but we always order the AG when we're in town. Great beer selection, great/friendly service, and some of the best pizza in over 100 miles.

A few caveats: 1) They're almost always slammed, so unless you arrive (or phone order) EARLY, expect to wait 20-60 minutes. 2) If you can, sit in the front area...it's more cozy and definitely less loud than the back seating area.

Say hi to the owner "Levon" if you can -- he's a great guy!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
California
“25 Years!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I've been craving this pizza for over 25 years now, and get my fill of it every chance I get. Favorites include the Acapulco Gold and the pesto or garlic chips. Just good pizza and worlds apart from the chain pizza places.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Asheville, North Carolina
“Place smelled like Vomit”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

We were really relieved to find a place open after 10p.m. in Lake Tahoe. Once seated in the restaurant, it was noticeably in need a of a deep cleaning. Our waitress was nice and was very accommodating but while we waited for our food, whiffs of a foul smell came throughout our dining experience. The smell was very similar to vomit. Our pizza arrived but at this point had no appetite due to the consistant smell. The appearance of our pizza was vey below average and tasted like it as well. We did not complain but simply wanted to get out of there as fast as we could. Would rather not eat then go back there for another meal. I am not smell sensitive, but this was not for the wary. As I am about to write many glowing reviews for the Tahoe region, I seriously wonder what is wrong with the people who rate this place good. If you like cheap as possible bread, sauce and cheese with no flavor, go here.

• Visited September 2012