“Great Place!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pine Frost Inn

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Tahoe (California)
Pine Frost Inn
You added Pine Frost Inn to your Saves list
4113 Manzanita Ave, CA 96150   |
London
“Great Place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I booked my stay through Virgin - it was a great deal and the Pine Frost was ideal in terms of location just a short walk from the Gondola although we had a car (car park at Pine Frost fine) and so drove to the Californian Base most mornings to get breakfast at the Blue Angel which I can highly recommend!

The rooms are spacious and simple in terms of decor, very warm and the shower was great. Yes it's a slightly dated inside but really when you are skiing the most important things are space for your stuff, a warm room and a hot bath and shower and the Pine Frost delivers! The beds were large, comfy and again very warm. I have stayed in a number of 4 star international chain hotels that have been far worse than the Pine Frost and cost a whole lot more!

The whole place is very clean and the cleaners came every day to change bins and towels and made the beds so it was lovely to come back to after a hard day on the slopes!

I will be coming back to Tahoe and the Pine Frost Inn! Great Value for money!

Stayed January 2007

Families
Solo
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2007

We booked the holiday through Virgin as it was such great value for money and having stayed in Lake Tahoe before - at the Ridge which is a 10 to 15 minute drive from Heavenly - we knew we wanted a more central location!

We were not disappointed and were about 5 minute walk max from the Gondola!

The decor is a bit dated with nylon bedspreads - but clean soft sheets - massive bed - fridge in the room - and overall pretty clean.
One drawback - tiny bath towels and the heater in the room is really noisy and goes off every 10 minutes.

The other thing that really annoyed me is that on the description from Virgin it mentioned the relaxing hot tub - realistically the hot tub will sit about 3 adults in it - so hope you are on friendly terms with your fellow hot tubbers - I would describe it as a Clairol foot spa - but that is a bit of an exaggeration!

Overall I would recommend Pine Frost - but our friends stayed at the Holiday Inn which has just been refurbished - so although a little further from the Gondola I would probably go there - sorry Pine Frost!!!!

• Liked — Central Location
  • Disliked — small towels and noisy heater
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2006

Reviewer: My son and I traveled from Scotland to Lake Tahoe for a skiing holiday in Jan and were so pleased with the hospitality at the Pine Frost Inn that we returned for a second visit with my daughter in April. The owner could not have been more helpful in assuring our stay was pleasant. The rooms are clean and pleasing and everything worked. The linen was a cut above the normal motel linen which was nice. On the day we checked out the owner invited us to return to our room in the afternoon to shower and change before we set off for San Francisco in the late afternoon. A very nice gesture to round off an excellent weeks skiing. I would recommend the Pine Frost to anyone as a very good value, well run, clean motel.

• Stayed April 2006
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

We had 4 room's here and the room's were so nice, espically the bed's & sheet's, as most people know usually motel sheet's ---, but not here. Room's are very nice and were super clean, and the rooms were so warm espically how cold it was.We have been giving seminars in lake tahoe so each week we try a new place, and so far this has been one of the best. Plenty of parking and all the snow was removed so everybody had a place to park, and the place had no vacancy sign on friday night when we arrived. It is about a 5 minute walk to the casino, and a 8 minute walk to the gondola. The people who run it could not do enough for us we thanked them many times before we left. The $$$ is so cheap it is hard to beat at other motels. Give the pine frost a try, you will not be disapointed. Good Luck to all!!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2006

This was our second stay at the Pine Frost Inn - the first was cut short by a mid-day ski injury - that time the owners graciously gave us credit for an already-paid night when we had to go home early/mid-day - an unexpected and pleasant touch of a family-run business.

Rooms are large, clean, with strong heaters and lots of hot water. There's a pool (empty for winter) and working hot tub, though I can't imagine it was hot enough to be enjoyable as the flimsy cover barely fit over it. The beds are comfortable, linens and towels are clean, free TV gets 60 channels, etc.

It's about a 4-short-block walk to the main street - Heavenly Gondolas & bus pickup lot is on your immediate right, casinos are on your immediate left. We didn't need to use the car all weekend, now that's a nice vacation!

We paid just $60 a night and will definitely stay there again.

California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2006

I was a little worried about this place since it had no website or pictures, and reserving a room was a little difficult since the husband and wife managers don't have a computer to give you booking information. But once secured and when we arrived they were extremely friendly and courteous; we got our choice of rooms, which were spotless (though one lamp didn't work), warm and comfortable, with decent water pressure and cable TV. The managers recommended a GREAT restauraunt called Nikki's Chaat Cafe, about 1/2 mile down the road, which is open until 9:30 most nights, 10 pm on fridays and saturdays; American breakfasts during the day and superb indian food at night (also very friendly hosts). The Pine Frost is 50-57 bucks a night even on a holiday weekend and is walking distance from Heavenly Gondola. We don't like to gamble, but it is also right at the state line, which when you cross stands the casinos. So forgive them if you can't book over the internet and making sure you have a room can seem vague. If you confirm conscientiously, this is a great place.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2006

Based on good reviews on this website and its proximity to the casinos, I booked the Pine Frost Inn for a Saturday night [12th Feb '06]. As the Inn has no website, one must book it via the phone, so I rang the Pine Frost Inn directly last Wednesday to book. The female staff member who took the call said there was a room available and took my credit card details and my phone number, and said she would see us around 6pm Saturday.
After a long days skiing in Kirkwood and some food, we arrived at Pine Frost Inn at 7.30pm to check in. The front desk staff [the owners I think] looked a little surprised when they saw us, and said they didn't have a reservation for us. They kept on saying that there was no reservation in my name, and didn't make it immediately clear that there were no more rooms available. They made no apology and denied giving away our room. They then asked us why we arrived so late and what were we doing until now- it was 7.30pm, is that considered late?? I reckon if we arrived at 6pm we would still have our room.
The owners said they always confirm a booking by ringing back a day later, but I clearly said to them that when I rang 4 days ago to book the room that no mention was made that we needed to reconfirm the booking before we arrived on Saturday, or that the Inn would ring back to confirm. They had my credit card details so why would they want me to reconfirm when they said the room was booked and ended the call with "see you around 6pm on Saturday"?? It was like they were implying I made up an imaginary booking. I remember the lady I booked with over the phone had a foreign accent and it was the same lady that was at the front desk the night we arrived at Pine Frost Inn. The whole situation was just so frustrating as they wouldn't accept any blame in the matter, or say they made the mistake. As they have no website to book on, I had no booking confirmation to prove my case. Their whole phone booking process is very suspect, and normally i would never give my credit card details out over a phone.
No offer was made to find us alternative accommodation, so my husband then asked if they could find us another motel that night, and they found us another motel 8 miles away. The alternative motel was very very basic, run down and noisy. Our night out to the casinos was ruined as we didn't feel like driving another 8 miles back to the stateline. All other hotels were booked out so we had no choice but to stay in this motel. I will NEVER recommend Pine Frost Inn to anyone based on the reception I received from the staff members/owners that night, and the fact that their phone booking system is unreliable.

• Stayed February 2006

Been to Pine Frost Inn? Share your experiences!