“Location is NOT everything!!! This place is NASTY!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of El Dorado Motel

El Dorado Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Lake Tahoe (California)
You added El Dorado Motel to your Saves list
4139 Lake Tahoe Boulevard, US Highway 50 at Stateline, CA 96150   |
San Diego, CA
“Location is NOT everything!!! This place is NASTY!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2006

DO NOT STAY IN THIS MOTEL!!!

I booked this motel months in advance of our trip because I got what I thought was a good deal and, at the time, it was ranked #4 in the area by other Tripadvisor reviewers. I have no idea how it was ranked so highly. The reviews must have been fake. This place is a DUMP!!! The ranking has since fallen to #18 and it should be much, much lower. Our group stayed in three separate rooms and each of them had serious problems. The beds were so worn that it felt like you were sleeping directly on the springs and the showers barely worked and when they did the water temperature changed from scalding hot to iceberg cold every 10 seconds. Not to mention the fact that the whole time we were there, no one ever came to clean the rooms, bring new towels or soap, or even make the so called "beds." We would have changed to a nicer hotel if it wasn't for the fact that we would have had to coordinate rooms for three groups and for some reason the weekend we were there, all the room prices in town were a lot higher than normal.

As for the location, yes, it is very close to the casinos and Heavenly's gondola, but it is also very close to the main road running through town. The cars sound like they are IN your room all night long! It would have been worth it to walk a few extra blocks or drive.

Now, not everything was completely terrible. The managers were nice, when they were around. The office is only opened from 10:00am - 6:00pm Sun. - Thurs. and until 9:00pm on Fri. and Sat. If you can wait around until 10:00am for your first cup of coffee, they do offer that, but not much else. Apparently, the managers just took over the place about six weeks ago, but that is no excuse. They could have learned how to run a motel in six weeks.

In short, spend a little more, walk a little further, and enjoy your stay somewhere else A LOT more!

• Stayed February 2006

Couples
Solo
Business
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2006

We're a pretty laid back couple, but this place was a filthy dump. The rooms are super tiny with two double beds with mattresses so thread bare and thin that were like sleeping on wire. The positive reviews on the website must be bogus. You barely have room to walk. Our bathroom was absolutely disgusting. They didn't even bother to clean the toilet from the last guests and my husband showered in his flip-flops he was so grossed out. We've traveled all over the world, and stayed in some crazy places, but for $135/night, you should at least get a clean room. Avoid this place...there are small, cute non-casino rooms all over tahoe that should be way better. Even on New Years weekend, we saw vacancies everywhere for cheaper rooms, so you would do better, if in doubt, to rent a room once you get there. the location is in a good place, but there are a dozen more motels on the same block that I have to believe are at least clean.

• Stayed December 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2005

The absolute best place to stay in Tahoe! Great location, awesome hospitality, and the cutest rooms for someone who wants to be cozy with wood paneling on the walls and real comforters! Not that typical motel/hotel bedspread where you have to use another blanket to keep warm which doesn’t work anyway! Jason and Claude were the greatest, making me and my group feel right at home while they continued to provide us with extra towels, Toilet Paper and ice! During the New Year's weekend we stayed, they kept the motel patrolled for vandalists and crowd control! We were at the safest place in Tahoe! There was a person explaining that they had a problem with an overbooked reservation which was atrocious! They marked the Motel terrible when they were obviously to amateur to realize that the it was the reservation company that made the mistake not the motel! From what I read the Manager and the Owner tried to help by booking them other rooms at a motel near them for the inconvenience! If you have a problem with a reservation company then don't go through them! Reserve through the place you want to stay. Besides the reservation companies always charge more than the motel so they can get their monies worth too! (i.e. commission) The nerve of these people... Well I just wanted to let the rest of the world know that this is the best place to stay over anywhere else in Tahoe! Thank you Jason and Claude for the best stay we have ever had anywhere! Oh and P.S. check out the awesome gift shop in front! They have the cutest stuff! And its all affordable too!

• Stayed January 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2005

We made reservations at another motel that gave our rooms away when we did not check in by 4:00pm due to what they called a mix up. However, we were quite pleased since they seemed unprofessional and noncustomer service savy. Confused and pressed for time, we started making a few phone calls. Most of the motels we called were unable to assist us on such short notice for so many rooms and being close the the Casinos where our Wedding and Reception were going to be held. But the El Dorado Motel was more than pleasant. I spoke to Claude who said he was going to take care of us and he had to call the motel property manager to get approval for giving us a special group rate. Within 2 minutes, Jason called and confirmed our reservation, gave us a great price, and also advised us on where to get flowers, beverages, and dinner on short notice for a large group.

It does not stop there. When we arrived at the motel, Claude was there to meet us and had keys, irons, ironing boards, and was quick to help organize our large group. Jason showed up and he and Claude then proceeded to assist us with out luggage, directions and phone numbers for all of our plans, assisted us with making a wedding map, and to top it all off, Jason was able to help unlock a car we managed to lock keys in.

But wait, there is more. Jason assisted me in making reservations for a private dinner party for our rehearsal dinner and helped drive numerous car loads of our guests to the rehearsal dinner.

Now come on, too good to be true. Nope, customer service taken way too seriously. None the less we appreciate all the hard work they did to make our special day complete and save the day in many ways.

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2005

I stayed here in March with my Boyfriend while we were there to ski and gamble.

Cluade was very nice when we arrived late and did his best to make sure we were happy with the room. The room is very cozy and doesn't have that "motel feeling". It's small but very comfortable. Very, very clean rooms and very close to the casinos. It's probably faster getting back to the El Dorado from Harvey's casino then to a Harvey's room! Highly recomended, unless you prefer overpriced, pretentous resorts.

• Stayed March 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2005

I made online reservations several months in advance and had to cancel them. . .then I made new reservations a few days later, and called to confirm that the modified reservations were set. When my party and I arrived (a total of 12 guests!), we were told that they had accidentally cancelled our second reservation because the motel did not bother to look at the reservation number and they associated it with the first reservation (this is after they told me over the phone that the reservation was confirmed!). The manager tried to make arrangements to put us up at another motel because they had overbooked and could not remedy their mistake by letting us stay, but when he checked with the owner, the owner refused to pay for our stay elsewhere and pretty much left us on the street with no where to stay. I don't know what kind of hospitality service this is when you are at fault for breaching the reservation contract, and then say "oh well, too bad for you." I am extremely displeased with the outcome and I want to warn everyone to please stay away from this motel for your own good. . .they do not do business in a fair, hospitable, and understanding way. They were responsible for the mix-up with our reservation, and they did nothing to remedy the situation, as any reasonable motel would. Thank god we found the Rainbow Inn down the street, where the owners were alarmed to hear what had happened to us, and were extremely kind and hospital in giving us rooms for our two night stay. Thank you to them for restoring our faith in good service.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2005

I stayed here on a Friday night during a recent snowboard trip to Lake Tahoe. I received an good rate of $59 which was excellent for a holiday weekend. The front desk staff was very friendly and let me pay for the room with cash after a major mishap with my debit/ATM card and the casino hotel next door where I had been staying for the previous week. The room was impeccably clean and included a refrigerator. The El Dorado is an excellent place to stay and is not worthy of some of the negative reviews that have been posted here. If you're looking for a good place to stay that's close to the casinos and the Heavenly gondola, this is your place.

Been to El Dorado Motel? Share your experiences!