“Excellent Resort” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Ski Run Blvd, CA 96150   |
Gilroy
“Excellent Resort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We have stayed here twice and loved it.
The resort is fully renovated and has large and inviting rooms. We always rent the two bedroom lock off unit which sleeps up to 8!!! The resort is located right at the lake and a fun place in summer and winter. Close to restaurants and ski slopes. There is a bar and a small restaurant with excellent food and really good prices down stairs. Service is great, very helpful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Ask for the lake view rooms...they are the best.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for your Excellent review with us here on tripadvisor. Our renovated units are wonderful and have all the great amenities that our guests want in a room while on vacation. You really can’t go wrong with staying at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. We are fortunate for all who walk through our doors.

Thank you for your business and we look forward to your return stay with us.

Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Folsom, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I have stayed at a couple of dumps in South Lake Tahoe, and I am happy to report this is not one of them. We had a two bedroom unit, and we loved that there were two separate entrances. This was nice because we have a baby and the other couple we travelled with did not. I am sure they appreciated this as well. The hotel is in great proximity to the lake and restaurants, and we liked that is was a little removed from the casinos.

The room was recently renovated. Unfortunately during our trip, there was still quite a bit of renovation going on so we heard construction noise early in the morning. This didn't bother us, because as I mentioned, we have a baby and we are up at the crack of dawn anyway. But for you folks who sleep more than 5 hours a night.. this may be a problem. The kitchenette has an oven, microwave, dishwasher, sink, refrigerator and is stocked with anything you may need to cook or dine in your room. We only ate out 2 meals our entire stay, and the rest of the time ate in the room. The bathrooms were a good size and the room seemed clean. There is also a DVD player in the room. The staff was VERY nice and helpful.

There is a $16 fee for parking a day, and you have to park across the street. You can also choose to valet park (no extra cost - except for the tip). You will be hounded to go to a timeshare presentation, we chose not to go - so I don't have any insights how annoying that may end up being.

Overall, it was a great place to stay and I would definitely go back.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for sharing your good impressions following your recent stay with us. We are very pleased that you had an enjoyable time here at Lake Tahoe Vacation, although we regret if you have been inconvenienced by the refurbishment works taking place on site - sadly, there is never an ideal time to carry our such works, yet these are necessary to upkeep the standard of our resort. We hope that you will decide to visit us again in the future!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We travel a lot and we have had worse and we have had better for the same price. I had to do laundry but the washers really blew the one leaked my soap all over so I switched and this one left soap in the dish and on the rim of the washer my clothes were half wet and half dry. Now I'm going on an hour still waiting for them to dry. They put us in a handicap room which we didn't need so the shower was a little off for us but worked.
I was supposed to have a two bedroom that's two rooms in one unit. Nope We got two separate rooms divided by an entrance hall so we had to prop our doors open to be able to see the kids then we had to block the outer entrance door so my two year old can not get out. I will post a picture to help visualize.
I took my children to the activity center for the sand art this morning they did not say it cost in the advertisement but there's a minimal charge no big deal to some. I will stay here again because this is what I get for my vacation club, Global Vacations. But if I had another choice I would try it. Maybe after the construction is done it will be better although they did say this unit was just redone. Maybe touch up but not a total redo. Kinda disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013
I am sorry to read your disappointed review with us here on our resort. Just want you to know that we do not have a room that has 2 bedrooms. We only have 2 bedroom lock offs (A side plus B side), with an entrance foyer door. All our 3rd party vacation networks are also aware of this set up and should have explained this to you. Please accept my apologies for the 3rd party vacation provider not communicating the floor plan with you.

This will be the set up for our entire resort. This information is usually available on our website for review prior to making reservations, along with floor plans so that you know before you go.

Also, I am happy to report that we are planning improvements to our laundry rooms for a better experience while doing laundry. I am confident that you and all will be happy with those improvements.

I thank you for your business and know that your next stay with us will exceed your expectations.

Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My stay here did not match up to my expectations based on experiences at other hotels. Some issues we had:

Parking:
At check in they will automatically charge $16/day for parking. There was plenty of free parking right outside their lot and across the street by the residential neighborhoods. In fact, just across the signal on the left there is a free public parking lot that allows overnight parking. The hotel does not tell you this, and will automatically charge you $16 times however many days your reservation is for and give you a permit to park in their lots. I would recommend telling the person at check-in that you are not going to park in their lots and will park elsewhere. That way they will waive the fee (which is what we did). Like I said, there is plenty of free parking close by. Do not let them trick you!

Room location:
The hotel building could have been designed better. For a hotel located so close to the lake, there were very few rooms equipped with lake-views or even balconies (they told us those rooms had to be booked months in advanced and were very expensive). Most rooms (such as ours) were facing into the pool area or edges of nearby buildings instead of the lake, mountains, or natural scenery that is all around. Additionally, the windows barely cracked open so there was little fresh air.

Room condition:
We had to call room service a few times to get little things fixed. The TV, when we turned it on was on a setting that did not allow us to watch any shows. We had to call room service to straighten out the issue. The coffee maker was not working. When we called room service, the employee who helped us did not know how to use it. After two other staff members came to help, a delivery of a different coffee maker to replace the broken one, and forty five mintues of fiasco in the morning, we finally had a cup of brewed coffee. We asked for a toothbrush later, and they had ran out as well.

Overall:
This hotel has a lot of potential given the location and area. Unfortunately, the lack of organization and sneaky ways to get money from people make it a business that I lack respect for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
It concerns me when I see a review that was less than a good stay and I want to apologize to you for your recent stay with us. I would like for all to know that we will learn from this experience so you know when you come and stay with us it will be a wonderful stay.

For parking I would not recommend parking at any risk in lots that you do not have authorization to park in. Since parking enforcement and tow trucks patrol un-authorized parked vehicles it would not be good to have to worry about your vehicle is being towed away. Impound fees and recovery for towed vehicles start around $400 to get your vehicle back which is much more expensive than $16.00 a day. It sounds that you were very fortunate to not have had any problems.

I wish we could have had our own plan that was initially drafted approved as we wanted, however, city planners and safety parameters were a priority as it was very important for the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort to be in code and meet the requirements to do business in South Lake Tahoe. I agree with only having 16 lake view units as being a small amount as they are booked out usually a year in advance.

Your issues on the room conditions are completely un-acceptable and I would never want any of my guests to experience any issues in their unit. Please accept my apologies for these room issues. We have workout a process for every room to have everything in working order, along with no signs of the previous guests. I assure you this is on the highest priority for all of our rooms.

I want you to know that when you return, please know that you will have an experience here that will exceed your expectations. I thank you for your business and look forward to your next stay with us.

Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Loved this resort. It was nicely located and the accomodations were outstanding and amenities great. Pool was a little small. But it was sufficient. It was my first time going to Lake Tahoe area. And I loved it. I would go back again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We are TS owners here and come for New Years week almost every year. Most things are good to very good with a few exceptions. One of the biggest deals is the TS PUSH. We try to avoid these folks but they are persistant.Also, check in can be trying as they rarely have any rooms available until 4 PM (yes I know that is what it says, but.....). Then they have limited rooms with any kind of view due to the renovation and everyone wants one of those. Lots of room complaints in general.
Now, a few good things. Great location and just a 5 minute drive to the Gondolla or up to the California lift. Shuttle also runs if needed. Lots of great places to eat and some meals can be cooked in your room. The new rooms have nice but small appliances and are adequate.I sort of liked the flow of the old rooms which had full size appliances, but all is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the lake. Hopefully you will get a partial view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The LTVR is a tweener--between 3 and 4 stars. Here is the breakdown...

Pros
- Location: About a 5 minute drive to Heavenly. Shuttles available so if you don't want to drive it yourself--it is pretty easy to get there. Some decent restaurants in walking distance and everyting only a short drive away.

- Rooms: We stayed in a remodeled 1 bedroom suite and it was comfortable and clean. Our two young daugthers slept on the pull out in the living room--and it was okay. The small kitchen/kitchenette is convenient for a quick breakfast or simple lunch/dinner. Small oven, microwave and mid-size fridge do the trick.

- Front desk/Concierge: Very friendly and knowledgeable. They know the area well and are usually available for quick questions/dinner tips (and discounts).

- Valet: Pricing notwithstanding, they do Valet about as good as I've seen. The place is packed and there is always a queue--but calling 5-10 minutes before coming down worked like a charm. The parking area/drop off area is really suboptimal but the staff make it work--with a smile.

Dining: Small but decent option if you don't want to venture out one night. Food is solid as is the service.

Cons
- Hard Sell: We came as guests of Diamon Platinum members and the Concierge still made the hard pitch. I realize a lot of people stay here on discounted rates as part of a "pitch" package but many of the Concierge's made no bones about it--they want the spiff for signing you for an appt (which we declined)

Sofa Beds: Let's just say they are about as bad as most--and barely "sleepable". My 4 and 7 year old were okay with it but i can't imagine an adult could weather it without a few "spring" marks....

Little "things: There are a number of small items that knock LTVR down a notch.
1) Fitness center. Accomodates 4-5 people max. A couple of treadmills and elipticals. You can break a sweat but don't get your hopes up. Also, they were out of water and cups for several hours--just not their thing.

2) Cleaning: Came once during our 5 day stay (SOP for condos) but did a mediocre job. Didn't notice that we were out of kleenex (not the end of their world but she only really changed our towels and cleaned up a bit...)

3) Outlets/Lights: Several didn't work in our room. Again, just a minor inconvenience but still not the sign of a well run operation.

4) Views; We had one of a parking lot--but there is a mix of good and not so good views. Just make sure you to manage your expectations...

5) No Ski stoarge: Enough said...

Upshot--if you are looking for solid lodging in a good location that is family friendly, this is a reasonable choice. If you want something slightly more "upscale" in this area, you might want to check out the Marriott in Heavenly village.

Tips:
- Get the discount cards from the concierge when you check in. Good for 10-20% of some local eateries

- Call for valet 10 or 15 minutes in advance during peak times

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!