“It's better than motel 6” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort

Save Saved
You added Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Ski Run Blvd, CA 96150   |
“It's better than motel 6”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We travel a lot and we have had worse and we have had better for the same price. I had to do laundry but the washers really blew the one leaked my soap all over so I switched and this one left soap in the dish and on the rim of the washer my clothes were half wet and half dry. Now I'm going on an hour still waiting for them to dry. They put us in a handicap room which we didn't need so the shower was a little off for us but worked.
I was supposed to have a two bedroom that's two rooms in one unit. Nope We got two separate rooms divided by an entrance hall so we had to prop our doors open to be able to see the kids then we had to block the outer entrance door so my two year old can not get out. I will post a picture to help visualize.
I took my children to the activity center for the sand art this morning they did not say it cost in the advertisement but there's a minimal charge no big deal to some. I will stay here again because this is what I get for my vacation club, Global Vacations. But if I had another choice I would try it. Maybe after the construction is done it will be better although they did say this unit was just redone. Maybe touch up but not a total redo. Kinda disappointed.

• Stayed April 2013
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
I am sorry to read your disappointed review with us here on our resort. Just want you to know that we do not have a room that has 2 bedrooms. We only have 2 bedroom lock offs (A side plus B side), with an entrance foyer door. All our 3rd party vacation networks are also aware of this set up and should have explained this to you. Please accept my apologies for the 3rd party vacation provider not communicating the floor plan with you.

This will be the set up for our entire resort. This information is usually available on our website for review prior to making reservations, along with floor plans so that you know before you go.

Also, I am happy to report that we are planning improvements to our laundry rooms for a better experience while doing laundry. I am confident that you and all will be happy with those improvements.

I thank you for your business and know that your next stay with us will exceed your expectations.

I am always available to our guests: michael.pena@diamondresorts.com

Yours in Hospitality,

Michael Pena

302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Turkish first
Fremont, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

My stay here did not match up to my expectations based on experiences at other hotels. Some issues we had:

Parking:
At check in they will automatically charge $16/day for parking. There was plenty of free parking right outside their lot and across the street by the residential neighborhoods. In fact, just across the signal on the left there is a free public parking lot that allows overnight parking. The hotel does not tell you this, and will automatically charge you $16 times however many days your reservation is for and give you a permit to park in their lots. I would recommend telling the person at check-in that you are not going to park in their lots and will park elsewhere. That way they will waive the fee (which is what we did). Like I said, there is plenty of free parking close by. Do not let them trick you!

Room location:
The hotel building could have been designed better. For a hotel located so close to the lake, there were very few rooms equipped with lake-views or even balconies (they told us those rooms had to be booked months in advanced and were very expensive). Most rooms (such as ours) were facing into the pool area or edges of nearby buildings instead of the lake, mountains, or natural scenery that is all around. Additionally, the windows barely cracked open so there was little fresh air.

Room condition:
We had to call room service a few times to get little things fixed. The TV, when we turned it on was on a setting that did not allow us to watch any shows. We had to call room service to straighten out the issue. The coffee maker was not working. When we called room service, the employee who helped us did not know how to use it. After two other staff members came to help, a delivery of a different coffee maker to replace the broken one, and forty five mintues of fiasco in the morning, we finally had a cup of brewed coffee. We asked for a toothbrush later, and they had ran out as well.

Overall:
This hotel has a lot of potential given the location and area. Unfortunately, the lack of organization and sneaky ways to get money from people make it a business that I lack respect for.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
It concerns me when I see a review that was less than a good stay and I want to apologize to you for your recent stay with us. I would like for all to know that we will learn from this experience so you know when you come and stay with us it will be a wonderful stay.

For parking I would not recommend parking at any risk in lots that you do not have authorization to park in. Since parking enforcement and tow trucks patrol un-authorized parked vehicles it would not be good to have to worry about your vehicle is being towed away. Impound fees and recovery for towed vehicles start around $400 to get your vehicle back which is much more expensive than $16.00 a day. It sounds that you were very fortunate to not have had any problems.

I wish we could have had our own plan that was initially drafted approved as we wanted, however, city planners and safety parameters were a priority as it was very important for the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort to be in code and meet the requirements to do business in South Lake Tahoe. I agree with only having 16 lake view units as being a small amount as they are booked out usually a year in advance.

Your issues on the room conditions are completely un-acceptable and I would never want any of my guests to experience any issues in their unit. Please accept my apologies for these room issues. We have workout a process for every room to have everything in working order, along with no signs of the previous guests. I assure you this is on the highest priority for all of our rooms.

I want you to know that when you return, please know that you will have an experience here that will exceed your expectations. I thank you for your business and look forward to your next stay with us.

I am always available to our guests: michael.pena@diamondresorts.com

Yours in Hospitality,

Michael Pena
Downers Grove, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Loved this resort. It was nicely located and the accomodations were outstanding and amenities great. Pool was a little small. But it was sufficient. It was my first time going to Lake Tahoe area. And I loved it. I would go back again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Lubbock, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

We are TS owners here and come for New Years week almost every year. Most things are good to very good with a few exceptions. One of the biggest deals is the TS PUSH. We try to avoid these folks but they are persistant.Also, check in can be trying as they rarely have any rooms available until 4 PM (yes I know that is what it says, but.....). Then they have limited rooms with any kind of view due to the renovation and everyone wants one of those. Lots of room complaints in general.
Now, a few good things. Great location and just a 5 minute drive to the Gondolla or up to the California lift. Shuttle also runs if needed. Lots of great places to eat and some meals can be cooked in your room. The new rooms have nice but small appliances and are adequate.I sort of liked the flow of the old rooms which had full size appliances, but all is good.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with a view of the lake. Hopefully you will get a partial view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

The LTVR is a tweener--between 3 and 4 stars. Here is the breakdown...

Pros
- Location: About a 5 minute drive to Heavenly. Shuttles available so if you don't want to drive it yourself--it is pretty easy to get there. Some decent restaurants in walking distance and everyting only a short drive away.

- Rooms: We stayed in a remodeled 1 bedroom suite and it was comfortable and clean. Our two young daugthers slept on the pull out in the living room--and it was okay. The small kitchen/kitchenette is convenient for a quick breakfast or simple lunch/dinner. Small oven, microwave and mid-size fridge do the trick.

- Front desk/Concierge: Very friendly and knowledgeable. They know the area well and are usually available for quick questions/dinner tips (and discounts).

- Valet: Pricing notwithstanding, they do Valet about as good as I've seen. The place is packed and there is always a queue--but calling 5-10 minutes before coming down worked like a charm. The parking area/drop off area is really suboptimal but the staff make it work--with a smile.

Dining: Small but decent option if you don't want to venture out one night. Food is solid as is the service.

Cons
- Hard Sell: We came as guests of Diamon Platinum members and the Concierge still made the hard pitch. I realize a lot of people stay here on discounted rates as part of a "pitch" package but many of the Concierge's made no bones about it--they want the spiff for signing you for an appt (which we declined)

Sofa Beds: Let's just say they are about as bad as most--and barely "sleepable". My 4 and 7 year old were okay with it but i can't imagine an adult could weather it without a few "spring" marks....

Little "things: There are a number of small items that knock LTVR down a notch.
1) Fitness center. Accomodates 4-5 people max. A couple of treadmills and elipticals. You can break a sweat but don't get your hopes up. Also, they were out of water and cups for several hours--just not their thing.

2) Cleaning: Came once during our 5 day stay (SOP for condos) but did a mediocre job. Didn't notice that we were out of kleenex (not the end of their world but she only really changed our towels and cleaned up a bit...)

3) Outlets/Lights: Several didn't work in our room. Again, just a minor inconvenience but still not the sign of a well run operation.

4) Views; We had one of a parking lot--but there is a mix of good and not so good views. Just make sure you to manage your expectations...

5) No Ski stoarge: Enough said...

Upshot--if you are looking for solid lodging in a good location that is family friendly, this is a reasonable choice. If you want something slightly more "upscale" in this area, you might want to check out the Marriott in Heavenly village.

Tips:
- Get the discount cards from the concierge when you check in. Good for 10-20% of some local eateries

- Call for valet 10 or 15 minutes in advance during peak times

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I have been a timeshare owner here since 1999. I have always been pretty happy with the place. First, the positives. The rooms are pretty large and nicely furnished. Better this year, because the hotel is under going renovations and we got one of the renovated rooms. We stayed in the full 2 bedroom/2 bath unit. Unfortunately we were in a handicapped room, so we didn't get to see the true configurations of the bathrooms and the kitchen, but the new furnishings, cabinets, appliances and fixtures are all really nice. It was time for a refurbishment, even though the older rooms were still acceptable last year. I like the location of this place. It is less than a mile from the Heavenly gondola and all of the activity down there and the casinos. It is a pretty easy walk, so if you take the day off from skiing and everyone else goes, you aren't trapped in the hotel. Also, you just have to walk across the parking lot to Riva Grill, which is a favorite happy hour location for us. The reception was good. We actually got to check in at 2:30, which is normally unheard of. I didn't use the pool or hot tub, but others in our group did. I assume they are still fine. We also didn't eat in the restaurant this time. We have several favorite restaurants in Tahoe, so we like to hit all of those.

A negative would be paid internet. Lucky for me, I have AT&T at home, which is what they have in the hotel, so I can log in for free, but I find it completely unacceptable to have to pay for internet at an "upscale" hotel when I can get it for free at any Comfort Inn. The parking is also a pain. They use strictly valet. You used to be able to park in the lot if you were lucky enough to find a spot, but with the renovations, you can't do that anymore, so you have to valet everytime. Two free cars are included if you are an owner, but if not, it is a whopping $16 a day. That is crazy. Also, you have to give it about 10 minutes for your car to come around because the valet lot is across highway 50. I am not bashing the valet people, they are friendly and do a good job, it is the set up that is kind of an issue. I left my kindle in the car one night and just decided to live without it until morning, because it seemed like too much hassle to have someone bring the car around for that. Also, having to come up with tips was a hassle since we don't really use cash for much. The only other issue concerns the timeshare sales. The concierge desk doubles as the timeshare recruiters desk. I dodged them and their phone calls this year, but in past years if I wanted the restaurant discount card, I had to talk to them, where they would pressure me into a timeshare tour (which have been awful, when we have done them) and then I would have to remember to call later to cancel it. That is just an unnecessary hassle.

Overall, I am still happy with the quality of this resort and I am used to some of the hassles, so I know how to deal with them, but if I was new to this place and didn't get the free parking and free internet, I would be extremely annoyed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Windsor, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

The rooms were very small. Our room was only cleaned 1 time the entire week we were there. The service was horible. The only time we heard from anyone was when they continually bothered us about joining the time share...they even called us at 8 am to talk o us about joining.
We ate at the bar....our empty dishes were still there hours later. You have to pay for off site parking and wait for your car to be delivered.
For the price of this resort you could stay at a 5 star hotel or rent a vaccation home and get better service or take care of yourself like you have to at this place.

Room Tip: Stay at another resort.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!