“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Resort   |   901 Ski Run Blvd, CA 96150   |
Washington, DC
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We visited for a week in September 2012 for a honeymoon. This was my first visit to Lake Tahoe. We booked the venue via AMEX vacations. The property location is perfect. It is within walking distance to the lake along with shopping and casinos less than 1 mile away, easy to bike to and from. Our room was on the 3rd floor in a one bedroom #338A to be exact. Our room was modern with a rustic feel to it and was updated and clean.

We had a living room area that included: fire place, pull-out couch (very comfortable did not use couch's bed), two chairs, a coffee table and 2 in-tables. Wall mounted flat screen TV was above the fireplace. Our room had a balcony that faced a wooded area on the lake side. Balcony had two chairs and small table. We stored our bikes here. Currently, the place is under construction. Our view was of construction equipment and work trailers. This didn't really bother us.

The dinning area was a dining/living room combo. Table w/ 3 chairs and built in seating along the wall. Perfect for two people. For a family of three this room would work, but for more than it would be tight living space.

Ample closet space throughout the space.

The modern styled kitchen had all the necessary items one would need to cook during a stay. Great appliances from the dishwasher to the coffee maker. I was impressed by the utensils, and pots and pans provided. Granite like counters, stainless steel appliances. Bring coffee. One day supply of coffee provided that is okay. Property has outdoor grills and picnic area that you can use. Room had vacuum and full sized ironing board and iron.

Our bedroom had a king bed w/two built in closets and a large dresser along w/a flat screen wall mounted TV. Bed was comfortable and linens clean. Overall room was very clean and decent in size.

Bathroom: Very Large! The light green bathroom had a separate shower glass stall and soaking tub on opposite side of room with large two vanity sink area. Colors were modern w/a homely-rustic feel to it. Make-up mirror and hairdryer provided. I can appreciate the large bathroom, and for a family it would be ample size. But, for two people, the large bathroom space could have been substituted for more living space, IMO.

Laundry: Great. Bring your own detergent.

We mainly were outside our entire time and did not use the property amenities like pool, hot tub, and gym. I liked our room. The common areas did not overwhelm me. A lot of beige and hallway carpet and wall color a bit outdated. The place is under construction so, you'll have to deal with minor construction inconveniences like elevator usage and some cosmetic upgrades in common halls. Staff very friendly and accommodating.

Cons: Timeshare property pitch. Housekeeping service is not daily. Valet parking only @$16/day. WiFi: $6.95/day. No room service. I haven't stayed at any other Lake Tahoe property, so I can't compare it to anything but for us, having the kitchen and living/dinning area made the place worth staying. Would I pay full price? Never, I always get discounted rates in some fashion.

Room Tip: See if you can schedule housekeeping at a specific time when they are scheduled to service your room...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you so much for your very good review.

We know it is important when you are traveling and looking for a great place to stay. Also, more important is when you are celebrating a special time with us. I want you and all to know that we know that you all work hard and have very little time for you. We know the importance of your time and I assure you that my team and I will work hard to ensure you have a great stay with us here at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort.

Looking at your review and pictures it looks like you booked and stayed in a one bedroom deluxe unit. These are 4 years old here at the resort and have a modern design to them. They are great.

I am glad that you enjoyed your unit.

Internet is free to Diamond Loyalty Members and Parking is free (first car) to Club Members and Owners using their points or week. The fee has always been charged at the resort since the resort opened its doors 15 years ago. It still is about $ 10.00 less per night than anywhere else in the nearby area.

I am glad to read you enjoyed your time with us and hope to have you come back soon.

Michael.Pena@DiamondResorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Turkish first
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

The resort is under construction; did not bother us except for when we were at the pool and trucks are working right next to you. If you are out and about all day it would not matter. The rooms were good; clean, quiet and large. The lighting in the bathrooms is poor, kitchen well appointed, beds were comfy, linens ok. The cable TV drove me insane!!! No guide channel not many choices. Pool and hut tubs clean, in house restaurant was very good for breakfast, bar drinks cheaper than other venues in town. Valet parking is tricky right now with construction, be prepared to wait for your car for 10-15 minutes depending on time of day, but please tip these guys as they are running their buts off all day!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your review.

You are correct about the phase our resort is in with our renovation. There really in no good time to do it. But, it is necessary to get our resort to be the best in town. We expect to be done at the end of 2014, during the whole time with new units coming on line as we progress.

You enjoyed all the amenities and that is what it is all about when it comes to enjoying vacation time or a quick getaway.

We hope to have you back soon with us.

If we can be of any assistance prior to arrival do not hesitate to contact me via email:

Airdrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

This "resort" is not up to par with other Diamond Resorts we own as part of the US Collection. Our "Standard Studio" room is on par with the Motel6 room we stayed at en route, except the Motel had daily maid service, a slightly larger space, onsite free parking, and free WiFi. In addition the Motel listed the standard room rate as $80/night incl. taxes whereas the Resort listed the standard room as $425 per night before taxes - definately not worth that. Maid service is supposed to be every three days, yet in our 2 week stay they missed it twice. The first time it took them two days and three calls later to get some clean linen and then they forgot to restock empty shampoo/conditioner bottles. It was crazy that they managed to forget the next scheduled cleaning service a second time despite a confirmation call from myself earlier in the morning! Construction in the community was crazy - but outside of their control. Valet parking is complimentary but expect to wait 1/2 hour for your vehicle during busy times morning and evening - no on-site parking is available anywhere near the resort. And as this is a timeshare resort, expect the typical high-pressure sales pitches. The $125 Visa gift they offer and definately not worth it. Remember - all timeshares, including this one, are for sale for literally pennies if you look on the internet so NEVER get sucked into buying one!!! The plus - good location to marina, restaurants, and bike paths. But every other location in South Lake Tahoe can claim the same thing.

Room Tip: We were happy with the arrangements of standard studio (2 queens) as we had a child with us. Deluxe...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you very much for your review here on trip advisor. Most importantly thank you for being a Diamond Resorts Owner with us. We appreciate your ownership and value your feedback.

I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us here at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. You are correct about our studio and one bedroom standard units. They are out of the Diamond Resort “par” level. We are fixing this with our current 24 Million dollar renovation which is focused on all the standard rooms at my resort. As a matter of fact we opened a new wing of standard units a couple of weeks ago. They are AWESOME! In this tough time of construction the wait is well worth it as we bring up the product to the Diamond Resorts’ par level.

As per your documents when you became an owner with us, your housekeeping schedule when you stay with us five days or more is a clean and tidy service. Please accept my apologies for the disconnect in communication with housekeeping services. I will get with my team to see what happened so we can ensure this does not happen again.

Additionally, the parking situation at our resort is limited and I understand you frustrations with having to use valet. I will review your comments on the wait time to improve on this and you have my word that this is a priority for my team and me. Please note that valet is not complimentary. All pay for the parking fee associated with valet. Some pay in advance through the maintenance fee or directly to the resort. The fees are used to cover the department expenses. The self park and valet option has always had a fee at the resort since the resort opened.

In my experience, I would always recommend that all who are interested in buying a re-sale vacation ownership to evaluate their decision. Majority of them do not convey the full member benefits and can sometimes be disappointing in the end when you go through a 3rd party. Always consider the original and enjoy vacation ownership. It does work; it just has to me used to have a great time.

I hope you give us another chance in the future. I am confident that next time we will exceed your expectations. We are here to serve all who walk through our doors with a great hospitable experience.

If there is anything anyone needs prior to arriving or has stayed with me and want to suggest something please email me. We value all feedback. Trust me, your suggestions and requests will not fall on deaf ears.

San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here with a friends who are timeshare owners. The check-in process was a frustrating fiasco. The problem was, upon arrival, we were told the room would be ready in an hour. After an hour, we were told the room would be ready in another hour. After the second hour, we were told another half hour. Making the promised ready time 4 pm. come 4, sure enough, it was going to be another half an hour. Alas, finally at 430, our room was ready. I don't know what the problem with this was, but it was very frustrating,

HOWEVER, all that staid, every aspect of the rest of the stay was AWESOME. the rooms were very clean, very comfortable, and appointments did border on luxury. and the rooms were perfect to suit our needs, with the stove, and kitchen supplies we successfully were able to cook our own meals, and the space made a great hang out spot for our group. The fire place didn't work at one point but was promptly fixed. The pools, jacuzzi s, and fitness center were great and all were clean. We used the outside grills which were in great shape, and the free laundry facilities came in useful after some time in the wilderness.

the staff here was SPECTACULAR. I really can't underscore enough how polite and helpful the staff was, from the housekeeper, engineer, to the front desk, and especially Jonathan, the concierge we talked to, everyone was very polite, very helpful, and expressed a genuine sense of wanting to take good care of the guests. Jonathan was also very helpful in directing up to a couple of great things to do in the area.

All in all a great experience (save the check in process) and definitely look forward to staying there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your very good review here on trip advisor.

I am happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the room and resort to your satisfaction. We work hard on our customer service and glad to read that you found our staff members hospitable.

Looking into your stay it looks like you arrived prior to 4PM. Also, it looks like you also had certain requests for a specific room type. Requests for a certain room type will delay check in if you arrive prior to 4PM. Since our resort has a 4PM check in time we do allow for early check ins should a room be ready for you and is acceptable. My apologies for getting you checked in past our posted check in time.

We are very excited to read that you had a good time with us and we are looking forward to your next stay with us. See you back soon.

Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at this time share resort and had a pleasant time. The resort is under construction/renovation, so be prepared to see trucks, workmen and port a potties! That was the view from our room (5th floor). The room was quiet though if all the windows and doors were shut. We had a king deluxe suite, very nice, renovated and the fireplace was a treat on the chilly mornings. The valet parking is a rip off!! $16.00 a day. If you can walk across the street, the resort does offer free parking in an elevated parking lot. No elevator available, only stairs. The beach is small and they have plenty of water sports available. We did the Tahoe Queen trip ( 2hours) around the lake @ $42.00 each (senior rate). It was beautiful. There are plenty of shops nearby and the Gondola (chair lift) is right down the road. Casino's are also near by Stateline. We took a ride to "Tallac Historic Site", about 2.5 miles North of South Lake Tahoe, it is a compound of 3 historic estates. Beautiful, on the lake, lots & lots of walking. But worth it!
Restaurants are near by. We went to Fresh Ketch, excellent seafood. Blue Angel, organic and great food. Red Hut across the street from the resort, convenient, good food. The resort does have Bar-B-Q grills if you choose to use them. Overall good trip. The Lake is absolutely, crystal clear beautiful. Worth the trip just to see the lake.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review and we appreciate your feedback in regards to your recent stay.

The one bedroom deluxe units are the latest and newest part of our resort. They have not been renovated yet as they are 4 years old. The other section of our resort is being renovated which are the standard units. We released a batch of the newly renovated standard units a few weeks ago and they are wonderful.

Just to clarify a few details on parking. The resort has always charged for parking since the conception of the resort regardless if you self parked (the garage across the street) or used valet. The $16.00 parking fee covers your vehicle per day. No free parking is available in the area. If you did not pay for it while you were here then it looks like it was already taken care of through maintenance fee or you may have just gotten a freebie due to us not charging you. Rest assured to all that the valet experience at our resort is great. You will be welcomed by hospitable staff members ready to get you settled in.

I am glad you enjoyed the lake it really is beautiful. With our resort right in front of it you can’t go wrong with the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort as your place to stay.

See you back soon.

Prescott, AZ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Lesson learned - we had a view of a construction trailer all week. Also forced valet parking which is actually a pain when they are busy (loooong waits).

ALSO they do not have their own beach. Just a tiny slice is available near the Ski Run Marina. This is a very congested area in the summertime. If you don't like crowds..... try someplace else.

The rooms here are very nicely appointed - to the point of luxury - but are hotel style for the most part rather than condo-style where an extended family can hang out together. The staff is nice. But I felt like a shut-in at the end of a very long corridor with no exits since there was construction blocking the way out. Overall a disappointment I'm afraid.

Room Tip: Get an upper floor in the new section with a lake view!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Owner at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
We’re really sorry to read that you experienced some disturbance during your stay at the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort. As you are aware, this property is currently undergoing refurbishment – details of this can be found on the resort’s Fact Sheet and News & Events page on our website, and should have been noted on your booking confirmation.

We’re sorry that you had some issues with the location of your apartment – we want every guest to be happy with their accommodation, and the resort staff would have made every effort to provide you with an alternative apartment if you had brought your concerns to their attention.

We very much hope that your experiences on this occasion haven’t dissuaded you from returning to the Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.
Orinda
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We rented multiple rooms for our wedding, which was being held just up the street. Each reservation had to be made separately, there was never any talk of a bulk rate or any indication whatsoever that I was talking to a person and not a robot. Since everyone using the rooms were coming from different parts of the country, and arriving at different times I had to keep going back to give them my credit card, even though they had one on file. Also happening this weekend were a Maroon Five concert, Robin Williams show, and a celebrity golf tournament. I'm sure the local officials took all of that into account when they planned massive roadwork that was taking place.

All of this would have been different if the Resort had anything other than Valet parking. Not handy when you have to run in and check someone in and run out. The Valet people did work with me a couple of times, but they made it a nightmare for my Bride. To make a long story short she had to climb into a jacked up, highly lifted pick up truck, in her wedding dress, in order to be on time for our wedding. Maybe a great visual for a cable show, but not very practical in real life.

Once we returned from the wedding everything was fine, with these two exceptions: each room is reached by going through a door for suites A & B. a very weird set up. For example if you're staying in Suite A and the people staying in Suite B lock the outside door, you wouldn't know if someone came by your room. The other exception is the place is laid out like a maze.

Everything else was wonderful, the concierges were friendly and knowledgeable, bell hops were great, we lacked for nothing in our room. Checkout was a breeze, and they even found my car and I had been too stupid to get a claim the night before.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
MichaelPena, General Manager at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your review and congratulations on the wedding. With a function like this and a group list of rooms I can certainly understand the importance of the expectations for everything to go as smoothly as possible. My apologies for the group reservations being made all in one name making it limited for options to check in. We do require the name of the reservation to be present at check in.

However, if you ever find yourself in a group setting and want us to set everything up for you prior to your arrival here at Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort please do not hesitate to email me:

Michael.Pena@DiamondResorts.com

Or, for anything you need prior to arrival.

I agree with you on the road work in town. The state wants to beat the winter and get everything wrapped up before then. We also can’t wait till the road projects are completed. We have also taken care of the foyer door with the “A” and “B” side option.

I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and my apologies for the small bumps during your stay. When you and your bride return, I am confident that we will exceed your expectations.

See you back soon.

Yours in Hospitaity,

Michael.Pena@DiamondReorts.com

Been to Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort? Share your experiences!