“Dawn kayaking” 5 of 5 stars

Type: State Parks
Activities: Hiking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: This state park in the Lake Tahoe region features one of the finest beaches in the area and several popular hiking trails.
sonoma county, CA
“Dawn kayaking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

We opted for the day use pass on this visit. It is best to get here at dawn, as we did, to put in the water for a wonderful kayak trip along undeveloped (if you head south) lakeshore. We had forty minutes on the peaceful lake before we saw the first power boat. Doesn't get better :)

Visited August 2012

Olympia, Washington, United States
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The main beach was okay, parking was hard to come by, but we hiked to a little spot and went in the water there. We stayed for hours and had a blast. No one else was around and it felt like we had the whole lake to ourselves, except for a few paddle boarders and kayaks that would go by every so often. We were just there for a few hours and didn't camp there.

Visited June 2012
Portland, Oregon
46 attraction reviews
“Just okay.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

I have done extensive camping around the West and I am usually pretty content with most campgrounds I choose BUT for some reason this one rubbed me the wrong way. There were several factors that may have played into this. Perhaps it was that after a long day of hiking in July I looked forward to taking a nice hot shower as promised and paid for (if you haven't been camping in California you should beware that most campsites have coin operated showers or no showers at all! This may be something unusual for us east coasters), and what I got was water that was viciously cold. Now to be honest, this was the first time I camped in the West where the summers feel like mild winters in Florida. Since then I have become more accustomed to the weather and the cold so maybe I wouldn't be so whiny this time around. Well moving on...I chose this park mainly because all the reviewers boasted of how beautiful the location is BUT what they fail to mention is that you actually have to be in the right freaking loop to be able to seep all that natural beauty. Now, I made the mistake of booking stuff too late and ended up in one of the outer loops that was ridiculously crowded and full of campers and the humming of RVs. The worst part of this park was the amount of people screaming "bear" and banging pans in the middle of the night. If you haven't camped in California - bears are apparently a big deal. Tons of rules, fines and bear lockers. I never saw one in any of the campsites, plenty out in the roads though. Sometimes I wish I would have woken up that night and hit my cooking pans and started screaming out "humans." Okay, maybe it was just a bad experience and I happened to not be in a particularly happy place about the spot in the loop. Other than that, the place is close to trails leading around lake tahoe and eagle creek/falls (beautiful). So maybe this is the best option around this area.

Visited September 2011
Folsom, California
4 attraction reviews
“D.L. Bliss Camp ground is awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We camped at D.L. Bliss campground for the first time this year. Although it is hard to get a premium campsite, I managed 2 nights at campsite 157. This campsite was spacious, clean and right next to the beach. The premium campsites are in the loop with stairs that lead right to the beach of Lake Tahoe where the water was clear and refreshing. The beaches were clean and not crowded, but you do have to bring your own water toys since there is no rentals on this beach.

The campground bathrooms were spotless, the cleanest I have ever seen while camping. They have running water that is drinkable in the campgrounds and nice shower facilities with electricity. I did not encounter any bears like at Sugar Pine Point. They also have firewood and ice for sell in case you run out.

I would highly recommend this campground but if you want a premium sight on the water, prepare to get up early on the first day they release them. You can also look for cancellations.

They also sell day passes for the beach if you choose not to camp but visit. They are limited so you should arrive to the campground early to receive a day pass.

We will come here again, year after year!!

Visited August 2012
6 attraction reviews
“Beautiful park great camping”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Couldn't be better place to camp. No bear experiences, quiet campground.Beautiful beach access from which to launch your paddle board.
However the map provided bytheark, has some inaccuracies on the Lighthouse Trail.

Visited July 2012