“Posh pub environment, great food.” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Gastropub
Good for: Large groups
Description: Hawkes Bay's most popular bar.
Auckland , New Zealand
“Posh pub environment, great food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

A large pub with good food. We enjoyed fab pizzas, chips and basic lunch menu options. Very tasty, great parking and plenty of drink options.

Visited December 2013

San Francisco, California, USA
““Exit Only” at the Loading Ramp”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

New Year’s eve @ 8:30pm…my wife and I walked towards the Loading Ramp
in Havelock North Village to have a celebratory New Year’s after-dinner drink.
A woman stationed at the door advised us that we were not welcome to enter.

“Are you you closed for a private party?” I asked. “No, we are open”, she said, “however, The Loading Ramp is EXIT ONLY right now.” I asked what that meant and she replied, “You can only leave the Loading Ramp now”. I asked “Are you closing?”. “No was the answer. “So, what is going on”? She replied, “we are only letting people out”. Really! But you are open, she said yes, but only for people to leave. I looked for the hidden cameras…but alas there were none.

My wife and I walked over to the window, the recently refinished Loading Ramp was
half-full. People were being served drinks and a pizza was being delivered nearest
the window to a party of 2.

Strangest damn thing, a half empty bar/restaurant not letting in customers; in fact telling customers at the door that there’s no admittance, despite being open and half empty. And, all this on New Year’s Eve before dark. And we were not the only ones taken aback.

My immediate thought -- most inhospitable customer-unfriendly policies I’d ever been.
The Loading Ramp manager needs to get his head around this most bizarre ever lack of customer hospitality practice and/or find him/her-self another line of business.

I’d like to write about whether The Loading Ramp food is great, good or average, whether the place is a nice place to have a drink, however, I will never go back nor will I EVER recommend this place to anyone who comes to visit. In fact, I’ll write this review describing how absolutely rude and unfathomably stupid it was for the Loading Ramp to even open on New Year’s Eve and then turn away customers at 8:30pm.

When in Havelock North Village for dinner or a night out, one can go to StarLake for great Thai food, Pipi’s for pizza and/or pasta, Mamacita’s for Mex or Divas Bistro for a delish pork belly or a fine fillet.

Best bar in the Village -- Pipi’s Bar, Diva’s Bar or the Rose and the Shamrock for some Irish pub local color.

The Loading Ramp should be on one or both of the two lists above. Shame!

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Tapster007, Manager at Loading Ramp, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Hello HaljoHal

Thanks for your feedback; and sorry we were not able to host you on New Year’s Eve.

On that night, as has been the case on previous New Year’s Eve, we were not taking bookings after 8.00pm. It seems many people prefer to celebrate New Year elsewhere and thus we elect to close after the dinner service. Equally this is evidenced by the many other venues you note in your feedback being closed for the same occasion.
Auckland
“Wouldn't know it was there”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Cool bar with fireplace and good platters. Have the Paua won tons - AMAZING.
You wouln't know it was a bar unless you walk in.

Visited October 2013
Havelock North, Hawke's Bay, New Zealand
“I love the Loading Ramp”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Whether your looking for a quick drunk with a friend after work or a night on the town the Loading Ramp has a lot to offer. The food is great, most if the servers are nice and the beer is great. The atmosphere makes me feel very comfortable and I've been very happy each time going there for a drink!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Havelock North, New Zealand
“nice atmosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have had two meals here and both times I was disappointed. In a good position close to the village and seems to have a good bar that is busy. A popular spot for the younger set.