“Great Resort, terrible staff!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Salinitas

You added Royal Decameron Salinitas to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Salinitas
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera al Litoral Km. 84 Acajutla, Sonsonate, El Salvador   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Comox, Canada
“Great Resort, terrible staff!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

We travelled to the Decameron with a total of 16 people, my girlfriend and her family frequent this resort on an annual basis and always bring lots of gifts for the people who work at the Decameron and assist the less fortunate as much as possible. Her parents said that the resort is amazing and the staff is great, they have gotten to know them over the years and had many connections down there. They hadn't been able to attend the Decameron for approx 3 years because of certain circumstances...however; I will say I was somewhat disappointed. The resort in itself is great, it has many pools and the weather is beautiful, you will never see a cloud in the sky... it hardly ever rains, and the rooms are great. The staff treated us terribly. When we first checked in we tried to book one of the A-La-Carte restaurants and the lady told us they were all full and then a friend of ours went up and got a reservation. Also there was trouble with a friend of ours that came with us trying to check in were trying to charge the 2nd person in his room $200 USD to stay in the room with him, when the rest of us paid the same rate whether we had an extra person or not. I spoke with the people at the front desk for about 15 mins and wasnt getting anywhere so I requested the manager and that solved the problem. Myself and my girlfriend also planned to go into town (about 10-15 min drive) to meet up with a family that my girlfriends family has helped out for many years and the staff at the front desk told us there is no taxi's. We had a number of a taxi from her mother and we asked if we could use the phone and she told us that we cannot and we must put a 20$ deposit down and then call from our room for a call that is $0.80 per minute. The staff was very unfriendly, very unwilling to help and didnt seem to care about us. I did hear a rumour that since the last time my girlfriends parents were there that they fired all of the staff an replaced them.

To sum it all up the resort is amazing, its a great size, great weather and great rooms... but the staff was unbelievable and I did not enjoy the way we were treated. I will probably never return.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

I am a Salvadorian born, left the country when I was 9 years old and never went back, until last November. My son and I went for a week, he and I wanted to rediscover our roots.
I arranged for transport from the Airport to the hotel using the hotel shuttle service ($ extra charges), the ride it self is about 2 hours, but if you think of it as an excursion you can enjoy the sights. Once we arrived, our room was not ready, but they gave us our bracelets and were allowed to go for lunch and drinks.
The hotel grounds and rooms are well kept and very clean. The staff is very friendly, specially at the excursion office.
Unfortunately we were there before their high season, so on the weekend when we arrived there were more guest, than towards the mid week. In my opinion this had an impact on the food choices which seem to diminish as the week progress, as the number of staff available to help. This to me was my biggest disappointment.
As for the beach, well when the tide goes down it is literally inexistent, my guess is this is why they have the salt water pool and that was a good option. The water was very warm and interesting to see several different shades of sand colour, from light brown to black.
So overall, I would say the hotel grounds, rooms and staff is wonderful, but the available choices in food was a disappointment.
My favorite a la carte restaurant was the Italian, I suggest you decide the restaurants you want to try out and reserve them, cause they seem to fill up fast.
The country is beautiful, the people wonderfully friendly, I suggest to take some of the available excursions to let you discover it for yourself. We did the one where they bring out to little towns, it's call "la ruta de las flores" and the one that brings you to one of the many volcanos.
I rediscovered my roots and was very happy to have done so.

Room Tip: Reserve your a la carte restaurants as early as possible
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Brantford Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2014

We went with a group of 30+ people from Winnipeg for a great 2 week vacation! Do not be put off by any negative comments about this resort. If you didn't have a good time here, then you wouldn't have a good time anywhere, so it may be in your best interest to just stay home in the cold winter weather. We stayed in room 2345 great view of the sunsets and close to everything, not to mention our air conditioning worked amazing, it was so good I needed to put a sweater on when we were in the room!
It always puzzles me when I read complaints about the staff speaking Spanish and not much English. You need to remember you are a visitor in Central America and Spanish is their primary language. I'm sure that if an El Salvadorian visited Canada, they wouldn't expect us to be fluent in Spanish. I found a bigger complaint was the Canadians that would only speak French, and it was infuriating at the evening show when the animation team did shout outs to the visiting countries and Quebec wanted their own recognition......last time I checked they were part of Canada!!!!!!!! . Remember that you are a visitor in their country. We never had any problems with communication they always tried their best to understand, and some where in the middle you reach a middle ground. A holiday is what YOU make it,so it's up to you if you have a good time or not .
All of the great comments or suggestions have been mentioned in lots of previous reviews so there's no need for me to elaborate any further on them.
I only had 3 concerns first one is that the resort is so far from anything so you can't leave to go do your own thing, unless you book an excursion. Second, we booked a game of golf directly with the golf club ($45) but Edwin the resort manager would not unlock the adjoining gate to the coarse, he made us book through the resort and pay ($65) so we felt we were held hostage unless we paid the ransom, and only then would he open the gate. And last of all, I was astounded by the amount of people who do not leave a tip -SHAME ON YOU!!!!! These people get paid around $300 US mthly, and the cost of living is around $600. I'm in the hospitality trade so I see all the extra things they do that go unnoticed to make sure you have a good time, and I was mortified how cheap some people are - you would never do that at home so what makes you think you can do this abroad? If you can't tip your server, bartender, the pool boy who is constantly picking up your empty glasses, or the lovely lady that cleans the bar and washrooms who constantly is constantly smiling then perhaps you should stay home and save for a few more months before going to any resort. I also read reviews that it was impossible to get a reservation at the a la carted, this was no problem for us, we ate a la carte 13 days out of 14 with no problems. FYI... The a la cartes do not have a dress code so you can go casual to dinner.
Pack your sunscreen, and your bathing suit and enjoy your vacation. It's relaxing, hot, and beautiful, I wish it was me going back!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Guelph Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2014

We just returned from our third time to this resort ( the first was in 2010, the second last year). Once again the weather was fantastic, the rooms clean, bright and neatly decorated. This time we were in block one (the opposite end from where we have been in the past). At first I thought I would be disappointed because Block 1 does not have a real balcony that you can sit on BUT the view and proximity to the ocean is much better. We were a party of five, of which one was my 86 year old mother in law with a "walker". Everywhere she went the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful including on tours. The food is good with lots of variety. This time we also noticed that the buffet was even better than before (keeping in mind we are talking buffet). The Ala Cartes were good (although steaks are not their strong suit). The Chicken and all the sea food were excellent. As in the past, our favourite restaurants were Fusion and Pastafari. The place is immaculately maintained. The staff are friendly and the shows have really stepped up. In 2010 they were OK...Last year they were good...This time they were excellent! On the weekends there are a lot of Salvadorians, Guatamalans & Hondurans at the resort and at times it may feel as though they have taken over a bit...BUT on the other hand, they also add a certain Latin flavour to the place where you truly feel that you are in a more exotic place than say Veradero, Punta Cana or the Hotel Zone in Cancun. Also if you want to escape, the resort is plenty large enough that you can still find your own slice of paradise even on the weekend. Over the years we have taken a number of tours: Climbed Santa Anna Volcano (be in reasonable shape, the air gets a bit thinner at 2000 meters), Zip Lining, Dune Buggies, Scuba Diving (not as clear as the Caribean but Huge fish in huge schools), Craft & Culture Tour (be sure to go on Sunday which is Market Day). All were great with wonderful guides. The bottom line is that of all the places we have been with respect to a winter/beach vacation (and we have been to many) the Decameron Salintas is the best value for the money; bar-none! OH YES: I am a real beach person and the beach at the hotel is marginal BUT if you walk west off the resort, the beach is beautiful (and safe). Walk past the first big volcanic rock to the first yellow villa on the beach. The swimming there is excellent especially during high tide. In front of the hotel itself it is very Ho-Hum. Also the beach at the beach club is fantastic but the sand is VERY HOT and the waves are big. Again we are very much beach people and we have certainly been to beaches that are much nicer, but over-all it is still the best bang for the buck we have experienced so far in all our travels. Next year we will probably try to explore some place new (maybe Columbia or Panama) but we will return. Oh yes; Beautiful Sun Sets!

Room Tip: All rooms face the Ocean. Block 3 has large balconies but is about 100 meters from the ocean with an...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
San Salvador Department, El Salvador
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2014

this was a terrible experience. lost my luggage. took all day for me to find my luggage couldn't even go to the beach because it was "closed" so were the pools my reservation was not made food was terrible just an overall terrible experinance.

• Stayed February 2014
Cambridge, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Salinitas for one week at the end of January. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort is spacious and clean. The food (both the buffet and a la cartels) was very good. Always something good to eat. We found the service friendly and helpful. The sunsets are breathtaking.

We took the two dollar bus ride to the resort beach and it was well worth it. The scenery on the bus ride was great, the beach was fabulous, and playing in the rolling waves of the Pacific was a blast.

We went on excursions to the San Salvador volcano, a craft/culture/coffee plantation, and to the town of Santa Ana. All of the excursions were well worth the price and gave an insight into the country, its' people, and its' culture.

Get a massage at the resort. Very reasonably priced and well worth it.

All in all, a great trip. We certainly recommend El Salvador and the Royal Decameron.

Room Tip: Get a room in one of the six story buildings (there are two). The balconies are much larger.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great panoramic views but poor customer service. The hotel's organizational climate is cold and despondent. You have to pay for everything! They won't even call you a taxi at the front desk! I had to deposit $20 dollars to use my room phone! If you are not a member they treat you like one upon reception. First you pay, then they give you a receipt, then they tell you to show the receipts to staff that will be "in-processing" you in a different area of the hotel. Here there are no smiles, just your room key, towel card, and wrist tag which they place on your wrist and instruct you it must remain on you at all times. They last thing before they "welcome" you in is tell you the key is $100 and the card $20 dollars if lost. Free wifi is only in the lobbies or bar areas. No in rooms unless you're lucky enough to have a room near the lobbies. The staff here are not kind, gentle, or friendly. They have a very different way of behaving amongst themselves which readily becomes easily distinguishable when you come around. They never smile, and if they do it's a half way sarcastic, thanks for bothering me smile. The nightly dance shows are nice! and they go out of there way to make your entertainment pleasurable. Again, the views and grounds were amazing-ingly beautiful but the organizational climate very poor (service with no smile). Would not stay here again by myself. Good luck!

Room Tip: Rooms by lobbies have free wifi, but may not have good views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!