“Enjoyed our time in El Salvador” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Decameron Salinitas

You added Royal Decameron Salinitas to your Saves list
Royal Decameron Salinitas
3.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Carretera al Litoral Km. 84 Acajutla, Sonsonate, El Salvador   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sonsonate
Cambridge, Canada
“Enjoyed our time in El Salvador”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Salinitas for one week at the end of January. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The resort is spacious and clean. The food (both the buffet and a la cartels) was very good. Always something good to eat. We found the service friendly and helpful. The sunsets are breathtaking.

We took the two dollar bus ride to the resort beach and it was well worth it. The scenery on the bus ride was great, the beach was fabulous, and playing in the rolling waves of the Pacific was a blast.

We went on excursions to the San Salvador volcano, a craft/culture/coffee plantation, and to the town of Santa Ana. All of the excursions were well worth the price and gave an insight into the country, its' people, and its' culture.

Get a massage at the resort. Very reasonably priced and well worth it.

All in all, a great trip. We certainly recommend El Salvador and the Royal Decameron.

Room Tip: Get a room in one of the six story buildings (there are two). The balconies are much larger.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Columbia, South Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2014

Great panoramic views but poor customer service. The hotel's organizational climate is cold and despondent. You have to pay for everything! They won't even call you a taxi at the front desk! I had to deposit $20 dollars to use my room phone! If you are not a member they treat you like one upon reception. First you pay, then they give you a receipt, then they tell you to show the receipts to staff that will be "in-processing" you in a different area of the hotel. Here there are no smiles, just your room key, towel card, and wrist tag which they place on your wrist and instruct you it must remain on you at all times. They last thing before they "welcome" you in is tell you the key is $100 and the card $20 dollars if lost. Free wifi is only in the lobbies or bar areas. No in rooms unless you're lucky enough to have a room near the lobbies. The staff here are not kind, gentle, or friendly. They have a very different way of behaving amongst themselves which readily becomes easily distinguishable when you come around. They never smile, and if they do it's a half way sarcastic, thanks for bothering me smile. The nightly dance shows are nice! and they go out of there way to make your entertainment pleasurable. Again, the views and grounds were amazing-ingly beautiful but the organizational climate very poor (service with no smile). Would not stay here again by myself. Good luck!

Room Tip: Rooms by lobbies have free wifi, but may not have good views.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Bowmanville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

We returned from El Salvador on February 13th having stayed at the Decameron. The hotel was an unexpected delight. It was beautiful. A very long property with all rooms facing the ocean. The beach was long but rocky. But an incredible sunset every night.
The grounds were kept immaculate. Constantly being raked and watered. The pools which were numerous were very clean.
The rooms were very nice. The beds were very comfortable and they had plenty of pillows. They were very clean. We were in room 3412 which was a deluxe room on the corner. It had two doubles and a daybed. And a huge balcony. We had requested a king size bed when we booked. We attempted to get our room changed they were not very accommodating. We had heard it was difficult to move rooms. We stayed with the room we had. Which was actually pretty good because we didn't have anyone beside us. No noise from other rooms. If I go back, which I probable will, I would request 3402 in the tower, or 4602 the the fourth towers. (4502 and 4402 would be good as well) Reason being, they are on the other side of the tower which gives you the sunset.
There are four a la carte restaurants. Italian, Steak, Thai and Seafood. And there were three buffets. We enjoyed the Thai very much. The tenderloin was fantastic. The buffets have a great selection with different themes everyday. And when you enter the buffets there are hostesses at the entrances with alcohol gel for all the patrons. The staff was very meticulous about hygiene and cleanliness of the stations.
Even though it was a very large resort we never stood in line, or had to fight for a lounge chair. It was never crowded.
Entertainment was plentiful through the day and in the evening.
The long day of travel was my only complaint. We were two hours delaying in Toronto. Then a five hour plane ride and a two hour bus ride. Getting off the plane was pretty smooth. The resort had our envelopes at the airport with our keys and stickers with our room numbers for our luggage. Which made the check in at the hotel almost non existent. The luggage was taken to the rooms and we could just go and enjoy the sunset and have a drink. The bus ride was very informative as they had a Decameron Explorer representative giving us all the information about the country and the resort as we drove. There were some food kiosks at the airport when we got off. But the buses had water, pop, beer and everyone had a snack pack on their seats.
Overall it was a great trip and will definitely go back. But we will go for two weeks instead of one as you really loose two full days to travel.

Room Tip: Blocks 3 and 4 were very nice. Close to the activity pool. If you want quieter probable block 1 woul...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Bolton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

I had a small window of opportunity to travel last Easter and El Salvador was about only choice. I was a bit skeptical about going there but was pleasantly surprised. The drive to the hotel was a bit long but I was ok with that. The hotel was spotless, the staff (though not well versed in English) were great. I think the drinks may have been watered down as I drank all day without even so much as a buzz. The rooms were clean and kept spotless. They removed all bedding every day which I thought was awesome. Be sure to check your AC when you get to your room as you will melt if it is not working. Food was better than expected and if you don't get to the a'la'cartes don't sweat it, the buffet is excellent. It is like a feeding frenzy when the fresh churros come out so be prepared to wait for one. Worth it. The beach was not the best and is lacking in water sports but this is due to massive tidal changes. The pools make up for it and there is one for everyone. The disco was pretty good and quite full. The spa services were good as well. The gym is small and lacking equipment but I did not go to workout. The private beach is awesome and the ride there was quite eventful with a stampede of cattle charging down the road. The weather was spectacular every day. In fact I have never been anywhere that is sunny with no clouds every day. It is not a resort for romantic couples or young party people as it caters to family. The evening shows were well performed and entertaining. I would definitely recommend this location.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Guelph, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We were at the Royal Decameron from January 30 to February 6 - a great two weeks! We were a group of 10 (family and friends) and everyone had a great time. The weather was once again incredible - if you want hot hot and lots of sun, this is the time of year to go!

Check-in at the airport and on the bus is a great idea! Once you arrive at the hotel; you are free to start enjoying the resort and all it has to offer. Your luggage will be brought up to your room in an hour or so. Some complain about the 2 hr. drive to the resort - I think of it as a 'free' excursion - you get to see a lot of the countryside! Sit back and enjoy!!

Accommodations were great - we were once again in Tower 4 (the same room actually as last year!). Beds were comfortable; rooms are kept very clean. It would be nice if there was a fridge in the room; however, we survived. I bring a 'large' bubba cup and fill it with ice and water in the evenings and have cold water available during the night. Rooms are supplied with bottled water. Also, it would be helpful to have a bit more storage in the rooms - maybe a 4 drawer dresser. Overall though, no complaints.

Food was very good - we could always find something to eat. Choice of food was good; hot stations were actually hot not lukewarm like some places we have visited. Wait staff very cheerful and helpful - we always made an effort to use our little bits of Spanish and I think they appreciated our attempts to converse or at least order "vino blanco" or a "cervasa por favor"!! We went to all the a la cartes and for the most part they were very good. Tip - if ordering the beef choice, order it medium rare - very good!

Bartenders were great - Wilfredo at the Bambu bar remembered us from last year! It did get busy right at 10:00 when the bar opened; but they kept the line moving. Really didn't wait long to be served - bartenders were great about making sure there was no 'butting in', if you know what I mean. We always bring our bubba cups so that saves on your trips to the bar and also helps the environment.

We spent most of our time at the Bambu pool and it did get quite busy in the mornings with the local people; but after lunch it was very quiet. The locals take their siestas very seriously especially with the children. And I must say the children we saw were well behaved and always being watched by the parents. The only complaint I have about this pool is the entertainment staff - they really do not need to yell into the microphone when doing the water aerobics. I'm sure they could be heard at the other end of the resort! We usually went to bar when that was going on. There are always lots of chairs available - I would make the suggestion again for getting cushions for the chairs! We brought down sleeping bag pads and they worked just fine; easy to roll up at the end of the day and bring back to the room. Lots of people bring down air mattresses - a little bit awkward to carry around; but they can be passed onto other travellers if you are so inclined.

The beach is a bit different from your white sand ideals; however I found it interesting. The tide can go in and out several times a day - it is cool to see. Take some water booties for walking when the tide is out - some parts are very rocky and slippy. Enjoyable nonetheless. And sunsets are breathtaking - some of the best I have ever seen!

Some of us did the ziplining and waterfalls - that was amazing! Had a great time - would do it again. The waterfalls are beautiful; be prepared for the hike back up to the bus! I was getting tired near the end; however, I was the oldest one in that group!!! But I had a lot of fun. And the guides were very nice and helpful.

Tourist police are always around and very protective of the tourists. I have no qualms about seeing them on the excursions and at the beach. Always felt safe on and off the resort.

Check-out was very well organized - you receive a letter a couple days before your departure date advising of luggage pickup and time of departure. For Toronto - luggage pickup is at 5:30 am; 7:30 am departure to the airport. The main buffet opens at 6:00 am so that you can get a good breakfast before leaving.

Overall, this was a great vacation - would I go again? Yes; however, would also like to go to Hondouras or Guatamala - we will see!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Gatineau, QC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

We stayed at the Decameron between Christmas and New Year day and had a beautiful vacation. The resort is located about two hours from the airport but since check-in is performed on the bus the wait is not too long before hitting the beach. The resort is well located right before the beach with great balcony view of sunset. Loads of pools are available but beach is a little rough on the resort so I suggest you book a place on the bus for the other beach location offer by the resort. All the excursions were great with A+ guide. Food was not extraordinary but still really good and enjoyed the traditional Salvadorian meal. I would suggest to avoid this place if you are looking for a five stars deluxe resort but if you enjoy visiting different country while still enjoying the beach and hot weather than this resort is probably for you.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Guatemala City, Guatemala
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2014

Dates of stay: Feb 8-Feb 10th.
Traveled with: Friends and also as a couple.

Recently I went to Decameron All Inclusive Resort in El Salvador for a weekend getaway. I have never been to an inclusive resort and I am very happy to say that I enjoyed my time there. I was pretty darn happy to be eating bacon and treats though out the day!

My friends and I took a shuttle to and from the resort. The ride was about four hours and with our driver, Jose, I didn’t get sick! Normally, I’d be feeling ill, but perhaps I didn’t get sick because the motion sickness medicine here is stronger as well. Who knows. The ride from Guatemala City to the resort was a smooth one and was hardly bumpy. I didn’t make the arrangement, but for about eight adults in a vehicle, we had to pay 400Q each. If you’re in G.C. and interested in our driver, please send me an e-mail and I can probably get the information over to you.
We left early Saturday morning and arrived around noon or so. We stayed for Saturday, Sunday, and left around lunch time on Monday to head back to the city.

Breakfast was served in a buffet style and was quite pleasant. Lunch was also served the same way. Dinner can be served as a buffet style, but if you get up early, you can go to the reception area and ask to make a reservation at one of the restaurants. The reservation is also included (A la carte), but there is limited space in each of the dining areas (and they fill up quickly!). I tried the Mediterranean and Thai Restaurant. I highly recommend the Thai one! Note that you must have presentable attire on when trying to dine. Sandals, a tshirt and shorts are fine, but some like to dress up fancier. If you come in with just your bathing suit, you will not be allowed to dine (I observed this as I passed by).

The resort is quite large and has a multitude of things you can do while staying there. There are kayaks available, bikes, several pools, the spa, an office where you can book excursions, and my favorite, a day trip you can take to the “real” beach. The “beach” at the resort isn’t sandy like the “real beach” which is about 15-20 minutes away by bus (and also $2USD/person). At the resort, it is quite rocky and the salt water pool is shallow (maybe 4′ at most, if I remember correctly). If you ask the front desk to be put on the bus to the “real beach”, you pay $2USD per person and can still enjoy a snack bar and unlimited drinks while enjoying a sandy beach. There is also a volleyball net out at the “real beach” and board games. If you choose to play volleyball, I’d recommend asking someone to use a hose to water the sand since it can be quite hot!

As for night life, there are “shows” which start around 8:30pm-9pm that you can attend. Also, there is a disco area where you can go dancing. When we were there, a “casino” night occurred, but my friends and I were not familiar with the games. There are also stands outside the pool area in the evening where you can buy souvenirs for friends and family.
If you have kids, they will have a good time in the pool area alone. I am a child at heart so I went around climbing some rocks and found a really quiet area when the tide was out and took some snapshots of the sunset. I was really enjoying that. In addition, I ran around looking at little creatures I can find outside such as sea snails and hermit crabs. It would be nice to bring kids to the rocky area when the tide goes out because they might find fun little ocean goodies. Keep an eye on them though, because at one point I found a dead puffer fish and a kiddo may run across that when they’re not looking to see where they’re going. I’d recommend taking photos on the statues around the resort with children and grabbing a few board games to play with family members and friends.

There is a small store next to the excursion office which I’d recommend taking a peek in. When it’s hot, you can grab ice cream for about .50 cents to $1USD each. It’s fantastic for really hot days. Also, friends and myself grabbed a cup/jug in order to fill it with drinks we requested.
As for the rooms themselves, I booked with my boyfriend. It was $350USD for the both of us (two nights, three days). Our room contained three beds and was very clean. It also had a television and was air conditioned. I’d recommend booking and paying ahead of time. A couple of my friends had difficulty paying the $350 total when they came to the resort and were being asked to pay double. In addition, arrival is much easier if you book ahead and print out a confirmation form because the guards in the front entry area will ask for it. Apparently one of our friends showed them the image of the confirmation on their phones the last time they visited the resort and that wasn’t good enough so they had to get a manager involved. You don’t want to do that, you want to get in and enjoy the resort!

By the way, if you arrive prior to the check in time, you can pay an extra fee to take advantage of the resort right away (but not have your room). It was about $15USD-$20USD for my boyfriend and I together. Unfortunately, I am not sure where I placed that receipt because I was having a good time!

One thing I really loved seeing was Eucalyptus Deglupta trees on our way out of the resort! These trees shed their bark at different times of the year so they look like colorful artwork! I’ve always wanted to see them and I was so happy to see it while our shuttle made our way out!

If you plan on staying at the resort, here are a few tips:

- do not lose your towels that you obtain with the towel cards after check in. The resort needs the cards back (you return your towel for it) in order to check you out without extra fees.

- Bring your sandals with you. If you end up taking a walk, it can be quite hot. Sunglasses and sunblock are a good idea too but keep an eye out for your stuff. I lost my sunglasses at one point but a group of folks I spoke to earlier found them and returned them to me.

- US dollars it the currency used here. Bring smaller bills to tip your bartender and servers.

- If you make reservations for the Spa or restaurants, do them early in the morning.

- Take a walk in the resort, it’s large and you’ll be able to peek into some stores and meet a greater variety of people. There’s also a “lagoon” you can visit.

- If you bring your kids into the salt water pool, be a bit careful in the entry area, it’s a little slippery and I saw a few kids fall hard on their rear since they didn’t grasp the metal pole there to help them.

- If you have a ride arranged to pick you up, make sure the hotel knows they are coming and knows their name on their ID card so they don’t have difficulty passing through the front gates to pick you up.

- There are children at the “real beach” area that will try to hand you pieces of paper. They have drawings on them. It’s a way to encourage you to give some money. If you’d like to, go ahead, but they seem to really cherish time you spend with them too. I drew for them and ended up learning a few Spanish words! Engage with these children, they are part of the culture out here and each one is so beautiful.

- If you end up going to the “real beach” area, I’d recommend leaving the area and walking around the roads with a friend or two. You can visit little shops ran by locals and if you’d like, try to eat fruit or food prepared at one of the stands.

Room Tip: Maybe it was just our room, but we were on the top floor, second in from the outside wall (1302) and...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Royal Decameron Salinitas? Share your experiences!